Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First real road bike for 18th Bday

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-06, 08:40 AM
smoaky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last year, I rode my dads old road bike (1970's) to and from school (9 miles roughly). I felt great, but this past winter I stopped and never really started again. (The day I tried to I got 2 flat tires at once, perhaps an omen). Anyway, I turn 18 today, and my parents are happy to get me a new road bike for riding to school and next year for college. Previously I was warry of getting an expensive road bike because I wanted to lock my bike up(I live in manhattan). Now I view this bike as an investment and I want a really good bike(I will not be locking it outside)

I've been looking at a couple bikes, namely the Trek 1000 and Trek 1500. My parents are willing to spend 600 or maybe a little more, and I can pay the difference if its really worth it. I'm willing to put up 700-800 of my own money. The Trek 1000 seemed like a reasonable bike since I'm basically a beginner, but I started to read some bad reviews about the tires, spokes and wheels. The 1500 seemed nicer, but since I'm a novice to bike terminology, I couldn't exactly understand why it cost so much more than the 1000. So, I'm 18, 5 11 and about 140pounds. Can anyone give me some suggestions on good, sturdy beginner road bikes that will last me a long time. My limit is about 1400, and that really, really has to be worth it. I want a light bike, but also one that won't break easily. Thanks for any and all suggestions.
Old 01-23-06, 08:47 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
If you can pony up the cash to get yourself into the 1500 then I would suggest it. As I'm sure you've noticed the 1000 is Sora Equipped and an 8speed. While there's nothing really wrong with either - if you ever wish to upgrade one part you will likely have to upgrade much more.

On the flip side (I know I'm not going to make things any easier here) locking up a brand new bike in manhattan is only going to stop so many theives before one is smart enough, brave enough, stupid enough, etc, to at least try to take off with it.

At your weight, size and age - any bike built with solid components are going to last you a while as long as you take care of the bike and don't use it for things other than it was intended (like popping curbs or trying to ramp off things with 20 spoke wheels). Make sure the bike is properly fitted to you. At your height, you're probably looking at a 56 or 58 depending on leg length.
Old 01-23-06, 08:51 AM
smoaky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

The only time I will have the bike locked outside of my house would be in the basement of my highschool, where I know its safe. I would never lock a 1500 dollar bike, or even a 200 bike for that matter, out on the streets. Next year I'll be at college, and not in NYC, so I will have less thieves to worry about.
Old 01-23-06, 08:51 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
If you want the most bike for the money find a Fuji or a Giant dealer, good quality bikes with high bang for the buck. Between those two bikes, which are both good bikes, I would go with the 1500 over the 1000 simply to avoid the Sora shifters...I don't like the positioning of the thumb shifter.

But why not the 1200? The 1200 has Tiagra shifters and I prefer the higher spoke count wheels, even with Alex rims...at least they have Tiagra hubs and once the shop gets the wheels tensioned properly they should be fine wheels. Plus if they really do stink you saved a couple hundred on the cost of the bike so you can snag some better wheels later.
Old 01-23-06, 09:00 AM
smoaky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am totally open to a a Fuji or Giant bike. I know Fuji is an established company, but I've never heard of Giant. Can you suggest some bikes in my price range? I'll do some research. To tell you the truth, when I think of road bikes, I don't think of Trek, so I'd be more comfortable with a Fuji perhaps.
Old 01-23-06, 09:04 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts
Giant has been around for as long as Fuji and many others. Their bikes were imported in the 80's under other brands and not sure exactly when they came to the US as Giant. Grasschopper does have a good recommendation on both brands.
Old 01-23-06, 09:05 AM
koine2002
Car(e) Free!

Bikes: Homebuilt Nashbar Steel MTB; 1988 Schwinn Premis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smoaky
Thanks for the reply.

The only time I will have the bike locked outside of my house would be in the basement of my highschool, where I know its safe. I would never lock a 1500 dollar bike, or even a 200 bike for that matter, out on the streets. Next year I'll be at college, and not in NYC, so I will have less thieves to worry about.
Do be aware that bike thievery was quite common on college campuses. When I was at Texas A&M, improperly locked bikes were quite often stolen. Be sure to secure anything quick release and only park it outside during the day in busy areas if possible. You'd be amazed at the bike thieves that come from the local community and college students desperate for money (for that matter, guard your textbooks too). However, don't let this stop you from getting the bike, just lock it properly with a good ulock and maybe a cable, and you'll be fine.
Old 01-23-06, 09:08 AM
wizzman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got a Trek 1500 for $950. I think its a great compromise for a first bike. Its under $1000 yet is very nicely equipped for a bike in this price range. Also consider any accessories you don't already have. Pedals, shoes, helmet, pump, tubes etc...
Old 01-23-06, 09:09 AM
EURO
My toilet-Floyd's future

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can anyone give me some suggestions on good, sturdy beginner road bikes that will last me a long time.
Not a Trek?
Old 01-23-06, 09:13 AM
smoaky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im not going to worry about locking it up on campus yet. Thats in another 6-8 months, and I want the best possible bike for my money(and my parents).

@wizzman, I'll worry about accessories later on.
Old 01-23-06, 09:16 AM
Grasschopper
He drop me

Bikes: '03 Marin Mill Valley, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '12 Giant Defy Advance, '20 Giant Revolt 1, '20 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, some random 6KU fixie

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Well Trek did have some guy ride their bikes to victory in the last 7 Tour de France races...and the last Giro. They know how to make a bike and the ones you are looking at are just fine. Giant is well...giant. They are like the single largest producer of bicycles in the world and their factory produces bikes not only for Giant but also for many other brands. In the Giant line you would be looking at something like the TCR2 https://www.giantbicycles.com/us/030....sp?model=11258 (I wouldn't pay more than say $1125 for the TCR2) or for a bit less agressive ride their OCR1 or OCR2 https://www.giantbicycles.com/us/030....05&model=11025 Again look to pay 10% less than retail for an 06 and more like 15%-20% for an 05 model.

In the Fuji line look for the 06 Roubaix https://fujibikes.com/2006/bikes.asp?id=128 and again not more than 10% off of MSRP (even more for Fuji as they are known to have the highest margins in the buisness). You may even be able to get into one of the higher Roubaixs in your budget. Be careful when looking at Fuji as they recently renamed their line, so this year's Roubaix is more like last years Roubaix Pro and the 06 Roubaix Pro is more like the 05 Team. If you can find an 05 Fuji Team (or Team Pro or Team SL) you should be able to het a HELL of a lot of bike for your money and while it will be at the top of your budget I believe you could get a $2200 MSRP bike under $1400. See this link for what one dealer is closing out the 05s for: https://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-FUJI-TEAM-SH...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-23-06, 09:30 AM
msheron
I-M-D bell curve of bikn'

Bikes: 06' Jamis Eclipse in the making.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not Trek? I wonder why there are so many that dislike this company? I have a Trek and am impressed with it for the money and the way it rides. I like others as well, such as Giant, Fuji, and Litespeed. I don't bad mouth them just because I don't own one. I made a choice and bought what was right for me. If it had been Giant, then so be it as well. Guess I am missing something here.........by the way, I once was being outran by Cannondale and Specialized riders.......guess what, they see the rear of my Trek Pilot now!
Old 01-23-06, 09:33 AM
msheron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now I realize that I spoke a little soon implying Trek has been trashed, I am not saying anyone here has really trashed Trek, it just seems like no one ever has anything good to say about them as much. I guess since LA rides one and there are those who dislike him and this may fuel the dislike. Oh well...........I am not defensive.......I like my Trek and wish anyone luck in whatever they buy.
Old 01-23-06, 09:41 AM
Nubie

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Diverge Carbon Comp, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2020 Specialized Creo Expert

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I agree with the Fuji selection - but then again, I'm biased because I have one. It's a LOT of bike for the money, and you'll often find good deals (unlike Trek) at your LBS. However, if I were considering a Trek, I'd go with a 1200. It's more middle-of-the-road, you save a little money but you're still getting a good solid (and very attractive) bike.

If you ever plan to upgrade, stay away from the 1000. It is a good starter bike, but trust me, once you are bitten by the upgrade bug (and you will be), you will want at least a 9 speed.

But remember, no matter what you choose, make sure it fits you!! Even Madone can be horrible if doesn't fit.
Old 01-23-06, 09:42 AM
EURO
My toilet-Floyd's future

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not Trek?
Because you are paying for high marketing costs - getting the bikes into lots of stores and sponsoring big teams.

You'll find that if you look around at bikes that aren't as high profile, or not so well known brands, you'll get better components for the money.
Old 01-23-06, 09:56 AM
oneponychick
Ride It Like You Stole It

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smoaky,
Are you only going to be riding this bike for commuting at school? If so, go with a cheaper bike now, and then when you really get into riding, or racing, or touring, or whatever you find a passion for, spend the bigger bucks on a nicer bike.
Either way, get a good lock!
Old 01-23-06, 09:59 AM
wizzman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EURO
Because you are paying for high marketing costs - getting the bikes into lots of stores and sponsoring big teams.

You'll find that if you look around at bikes that aren't as high profile, or not so well known brands, you'll get better components for the money.
My 2006 Trek 1500 was comparably equipped or better equipped than any other bike under $1000. I am excluding no-name frames, but even bikesdirect type bikes are not much cheaper. I don't think you pay a premium for a Trek over any other name brand bike whatsoever. I didn't buy my Trek for the name or to be cool, I bought it because I felt that I was getting the most bike for my $ along with the support of a brand name company.
Old 01-23-06, 10:15 AM
msheron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know where you are coming from on that point EURO but my Pilot came with 105 components..................a 05' Giant OCR 3 carbon type frame came with:

Shimano Tiagra rear derailleur (not even 105)
Shimano 105 brakes
Alloy Long Reach, Dual Pivot
brake levers Shimano 105
cassette SRAM PG950 12/26T, 9 speed
chain Shimano HG53
All for around $1700 (Not bad)

But for $2K you got the Pilot 5.0 with Ultegra components and OCLV Carbon frame with 105 shifters/brake levers.

Now when you add the upgrade of the Ultegra RD & FD and being installed because most local LBS unless your real close with them will charge for labor you now have about $175 more roughly. Totaling about $1875 now which puts you around $150 off of a Trek Pilot 5.0. I say if I looked harder and had varying opinions that we could almost argue for the Bontrager crank as being worth that extra dollar comapred to Tru Vative cranks........I think more of a individual opinion here and I will acknowledge that.

What I am saying is that you are so close on price it comes to a individual choice where neither can go wrong. You get long standing name with Trek and the upcoming name with Giant. I have a neighbor who bought a Giant OCR 3 and it is nice.
Old 01-23-06, 10:29 AM
EURO
My toilet-Floyd's future

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 2006 Trek 1500 was comparably equipped or better equipped than any other bike under $1000.
In the UK, the Trek 1500 is £1300 with Ultegra 10-speed.

At www.Ribblecycles.co.uk, with the same budget I can get a 1050g italian-made SCANDIUM frame, a full CHORUS groupset and RECORD/OPEN PRO wheels.

I think that makes it pretty clear wether Trek or a no-name small brand is better value, but then again Ribble don't spend millions on Lance Armstrong or the Disco team's sponsorship.
Old 01-23-06, 10:32 AM
Lamplight

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
My friend had a Felt with all Shimano 105 components that he bought new for less than $1000 (don't remember the model). I don't know if Felts are considered decent or not, but it served him well until he upgraded to something much more expensive. I didn't care for it myself, but I don't like yellow.
Old 01-23-06, 10:56 AM
Nubie

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Diverge Carbon Comp, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert, 2020 Specialized Creo Expert

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamplight
My friend had a Felt with all Shimano 105 components that he bought new for less than $1000 (don't remember the model). I don't know if Felts are considered decent or not, but it served him well until he upgraded to something much more expensive. I didn't care for it myself, but I don't like yellow.
I've seen that bright yellow Felt, and while I'm sure it is a great bike, that yellow is a huge turn-off. I'd rather ride a Tiagra equipped bike than that Felt Highlighter!
Old 01-23-06, 11:00 AM
HJR

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist Team, Cervelo SuperProdigy, Colnago C50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I highly recommend looking at Felt. In terms of bang for your buck, they are one of the best. I have convinced a lot of friends to go in that direction and they are always happy. You can go with a F80 and save yourself a good amount of money to buy other equipment and apparel, or you can go with the F75 which is 10 speed with a beatiful frame. It lists at $1399, but wiht some negotiation you could get it for $1300 or less. Good luck and happy birthday. Here's there website.

https://www.feltracing.com/06/home.html
Old 01-23-06, 01:01 PM
loaf56

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where did you get the 2006 Trek 1500 for less than $1000? I am about to buy one, and I can't find it for less than $1049. I would like to get it for less. By the way, I have been looking around, and the Trek 1500 is good bang for the buck. Also, be looking at the Specialized Allez Elite....
Old 01-23-06, 01:13 PM
Sinfield
Eat. Lift. Ride. Drink.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're worried about locking stuff up, take your dad's old road bike (i'm assuming it has horizontal dropouts) and pull the rear cassette off, strip the deraileurs, spin on a bmx freewheel, respace/dish the rear wheel, and cover it with stickers/ duct tape. That way you've got a cheap, reliable, ugly commuter/ campus bike and you can keep your road bike nice...and safe.
Old 01-23-06, 01:14 PM
smoaky

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the responses. I need some time to sift through all the info, but if anyone has more suggestions they are more than welcome. Just at this moment, the trek 1200 seems like a good compromise. A lot of you say I should avoid the trek 1000 because I won't be able to upgrade it. What exactly would I be missing out on?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.