Portugal - Alentejo/Algarve

Search
Notices
Europe Europe

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-14, 05:31 PM
EarlGrey

Bikes: TREK 1200 SL (2006?), 1996 Trek 750 Multitrack (sold, great bike), many incomplete projects in the basement

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

does anyone have any rec's about bike itineraries in Portugal, I am thinking of Sines -- Sagres -- Tavira, if anyone has any experience please share it.

Thanks a lot in advance

cheers
Old 08-20-15, 08:05 AM
psorocharider
Portuguese rider!!!!

Bikes: Scott Addict 10, Scott Spark 920, Specialized Crux

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Earlgrey, actually have some experience about it - if you still need it, let me know. cheers!
Old 12-22-15, 08:02 PM
Lusitaniarider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello
I know this route. What information are you looking for?
I will be returning to Sagres at some point in time next year, it's a classic!

LR
Old 10-12-16, 08:45 AM
Mariebicycle

Bikes: 3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,
This summer I traveled alone and I decided to rent a bicycle in Tavira (amazing city) and cycle all the coast until Sagres trough ecovia. It was amazing, you can see beautiful beaches, the hills, the salt pans.. and so on..... I coudnt find any good map online butasking to people and also in the shop they indicate me with a map all the tracks.
Old 10-17-16, 01:32 AM
EarlGrey

Bikes: TREK 1200 SL (2006?), 1996 Trek 750 Multitrack (sold, great bike), many incomplete projects in the basement

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mariebicycle
Hello,
trough ecovia. It was amazing, you can see beautiful beaches, the hills, the salt pans.. and so on..... I coudnt find any good map
Hi Marie, did you take some picture of the ecovia? 2 years ago I tried to follow it from Faro to Tavira, but ended up in a busy road until reaching Olhão (and then more busy road to Fusetta, obviously).
There were some path, but no sign they were going somewhere and they were more of a mountainbike thing.
Old 10-17-16, 04:36 AM
Mariebicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello- No pictures

Originally Posted by EarlGrey
Hi Marie, did you take some picture of the ecovia? 2 years ago I tried to follow it from Faro to Tavira, but ended up in a busy road until reaching Olhão (and then more busy road to Fusetta, obviously).
There were some path, but no sign they were going somewhere and they were more of a mountainbike thing.

Hello EarlGrey,
No, I didnt take any pictures in the Ecovia, only in the beautiful saltpans. But yes, there are some parts thay you had to return to the main road that I dont remember the name and there are some signs that are really bad, actually.... was kind of an adventure but if you dont feel confortable I remember that were some bike shops that made bike tours trough this area.
And about the bicycle I cycled with a mountain bike and I think is the best option to cycle there, for sure....
Old 10-17-16, 10:15 AM
hockey

Bikes: Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Bike Friday family tandem, Bike Friday NWT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi EarlGrey. We cycled the Algarve last spring and plan to return this year. I strongly recommend the site www.pedalportugal.com. We used his book as a base for our travels. He includes the gpx files for free and will even answer your questions. We loved the ride so much we are returning next year. Make sure you ride south to Sagres from Alzejur. Riding north is usually into a strong headwind and uphill. Be certain to ride through Monchique and Silves and Loule. All outstanding locations with hilly, quiet roads. Very little traffic at all times of day in April-May. You will not be disappointed.
Old 11-10-16, 03:57 PM
sempre1

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre xr1/ Wilier Cento1air/Giant trc adv 2

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Definitely will be interesting to discover Portugal - if you don't want to ship your bike which i don't think it is a great idea, are there many bikes shops that you can rent the bicicletta for the day or for the week?
Old 11-14-16, 04:22 AM
Mariebicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cycle along the coast- Algarve

Originally Posted by EarlGrey
Hi all,

does anyone have any rec's about bike itineraries in Portugal, I am thinking of Sines -- Sagres -- Tavira, if anyone has any experience please share it.

Thanks a lot in advance

cheers
Hello,
Last summer I cycle along Vila Real de Santo Antonio until Sagres and I finish there. It was amazing!
What I did was when I rented my bike I asked the guys the tracks and I started to organized with this link: Cycling Road Tours Algarve | Tavira Bike Tours Algarve
You can download the track. After that, they explained me that the ecovia, the off road, there are some parts that have no signs at all and you have to return to the main road.
But, at the end, I just followed the cyclo way and, with some information on the way, and I could arrive to Sagres.
These website were also helpful to have an orientation: CICLOVIA: Ecovia do Litoral: Percurso de Lagoa
https://elblogdealakan.com/2016/01/1...ia-do-litoral/
Old 11-14-16, 04:30 AM
Mariebicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello again,
I rented with the shop Home | Abilio Bikes - Loja e Aluguer de Bicicletas and was perfect because they delivered my bicycle in the hotel where I started my journey, in Vila Real and then I could do all the coast. At the end I returned by train To Tavira to deliver the mountain bike. High quality with a very reasonable rate.
Much confortable than bring my own bicycle, for sure!
Old 11-14-16, 04:22 PM
EarlGrey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sempre1
Definitely will be interesting to discover Portugal - if you don't want to ship your bike which i don't think it is a great idea, are there many bikes shops that you can rent the bicicletta for the day or for the week?
As other mentioned, in the south it seems Home | Abilio Bikes - Loja e Aluguer de Bicicletas does a good job, for Lisbon and surroundings I have heard very good things about Cenas a Pedal Loja da Cenas a Pedal ? produtos bué específicos (you can write them in English, but their site apparently is only in portuguese).
Old 05-21-17, 03:25 PM
MTB Traveller

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lisbon is my home since almost 5 years and I'm happy to assist and support all bike travellers that come around!

I always got one or two entire touring mountainbikes for rent and sale, a lot of bike travel equipment on stock and a garage to help, repair, adjust or upgrade your bike.

Every Thursday 18-21h we meet up to exchange experiences or fix our bikes. Feel free to join us. But we are here much more often than that. If you need some help or just want to hang out get in touch!

I would love to provide you some links, but I'm not allowed. So any requests, do not hesitate to send me a message or search for mountainbike traveller on google or facebook.
Old 05-21-17, 07:55 PM
hockey

Bikes: Trek 5200, Giant Rainier, Devinci Destination,Motobecane CF, Bike Friday family tandem, Bike Friday NWT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Try pedalportugal.com

Great site. Used the gpx files for my 2 tours.
Old 02-16-18, 12:36 PM
simao

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If anyone is interested in some off road cycling, Southwest Portugal is quite nice. Check out this website en.rotavicentina.com

There is lots of camping sites around and the weather is mostly very nice.

I have some nice routes up on komoot if anyone is interested.