Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Of Dogs and Bikes: What do you use to carry your dog? 25 LB Boston wants to join me

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Of Dogs and Bikes: What do you use to carry your dog? 25 LB Boston wants to join me

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-10, 12:11 PM
djkenny

Bikes: Bakfiets, 1999 GT Nomad Hybrid, early 70's Schwinn Cruiser 5, Bridgestone MB-3, Trek 520 Disc, Electra Ticino 8D, Ochsner blue Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Often I want to take out largish Boston on a bike ride or to a local event. She has little stamina so running with me is out of the question

Anyone found a preferred DYI project, trailer, rear rack carrier... for bigger than purse dog/dogs to come along in?

If we go trailer, I would prefer something that can carry the dog, and later a child. Maybe big enough for both. If I get a Burley, for instance, I was told that a price of card board on the bottom with something to grip the paws while she stood would be a good way to go.

Axiom had a front rack set up that looked interesting, might be barely big enough?

Thanks!

Kenny
Old 08-17-10, 02:18 PM
Grillparzer
Grillparzer

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
For an event maybe:

https://www.tonystrailers.com/Departm...g_trailers.htm

Don't see it being much fun for the dog though. Putting BMX wheels, a hitch, and a kennel box on a piece of plywood might work as well and be cheaper.
Old 08-17-10, 02:37 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Blast From the Past...

Bailey knows how to roll in style.
Old 08-17-10, 05:17 PM
xargaun

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have two smaller dogs, one is about 14-15 lbs and the other 6 lbs. i stick a 6-gallon milk crate in the freeloader on one side of my xtracycle, line it with a blanket and put them in there. tie their leashes to the bottom of the crate and clip them to the underside of their harnesses so they can't jump out. works great.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
37866_1335340987035&.jpg (71.2 KB, 85 views)
Old 08-18-10, 02:24 AM
katcorot

Bikes: 2013 Surly Big Dummy, 2008 Giant Rincon, 1980's Raleigh Century, 1970's Apollo Deelite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xargaun
i have two smaller dogs, one is about 14-15 lbs and the other 6 lbs. i stick a 6-gallon milk crate in the freeloader on one side of my xtracycle, line it with a blanket and put them in there. tie their leashes to the bottom of the crate and clip them to the underside of their harnesses so they can't jump out. works great.
did you try the kid into a milk crate on the other side?
Old 08-18-10, 04:13 AM
Esteban32696

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is there any way he can hold on to the handlebars ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXDjAuTIvvk
Old 08-18-10, 12:39 PM
xargaun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"did you try the kid into a milk crate on the other side? "

sometimes :-)

in the photo though, she is just sitting in the freeloader bag.
Old 08-24-10, 07:32 AM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by xargaun
I wonder if this could work for two dogs of different sizes...75lb labradoodle and a 40lb Aussie lab...compensating of course for the difference in weight. Or if I'm nuts and would be better off with a trailer. I just love the Big Dummy/Extracycle.
Old 08-24-10, 11:26 AM
xargaun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it works fine. a couple times i have used this arrangement and let my daughter ride in one of the crates. she is 3 1/2 and weighs about 40 lbs, so i ended up with about 20lbs on one side and about 40 lbs on either side. because it is mounted so low and and in close to the frame on the big dummy/xtracycle (we have a big dummy, a radish, and a mt bike i put a freerad on) the weight difference side to side is hardly noticeable. in fact, last trip to the dog park we went this way, and when we got to the park we kicked the dogs off the bike and rode around with just her in one of the crates. several people asked me why her being on one side like that wasn't causing me to tip over. you have to balance the bike when parked obviously, or it will tip over, but once the rider is on it and moving it rides great.

i am going to go to the big hardware store today to see if i can find a tub big enough for our big dog to fit in and try giving him a ride.
Old 08-24-10, 10:32 PM
skijor
on by

Bikes: Waterford RS-33, Salsa Vaya, Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 927 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 437 Posts
^Good to know...thanks! You mentioned balancing while parked. Is that kickstand stock? That would be the tricky part. Getting both dogs comfortable/trusting enough during the loading/unloading.
Old 08-25-10, 10:34 AM
xargaun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an Xtracycle "Kickback" right now.

https://www.xtracycle.com/cargo-bicyc.../kickback.html

I have done this with the regular kickstand installed as well, but in that case it was much more difficult because you had to hold the bike the entire time or it would tip over.
Old 09-20-10, 09:31 PM
worthlees

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
xargaun- Thanks for posting the pic of your bike set up,my little guy, 7#, cries cause he can't go.Was trying to figure out
how to take him.
Old 09-22-10, 12:24 AM
jputnam

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Tanjor trailer we used to carry our twins in works fine for my 140lb bull mastiff, but it's too small to carry him plus the two Great Danes.

None of the cats wants to go with us, don't have to worry about them.
Old 09-22-10, 12:34 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
She loves the trailer...

I also made some side baskets for my extrabike to carry the puppies...
Old 09-22-10, 07:40 PM
hvac59

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
She stays very calm, besides the harness(seat belt per se'), and even lays down occaisonally!

Old 09-25-10, 08:22 PM
wiredfoxterror

Bikes: 2006 Trek Rail 2007 Diamondback Dellacruz 1.0 2009 Trek Lime 2009 Jamis Boss Cruiser 7 1980s Nishiki Road Bike 1993 Cannondale R700 (Criterium) 1993 Cannondale V1000 1995 Cannondale M1000 1996 Cannondale Killer V900 1996 Cannondale M900 CAD3 1997 Ca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
Blast From the Past...

Bailey knows how to roll in style.
I read this earlier today and have been scouring Craigslist for a cheap adult trike. I have a 20 pound wire fox terrier - cannot get him into a trailer as he fights me viciously. He is old now and his back legs don't work well so I can't take him for the long walks he loves anymore, or chase him around with my mountain bike. This would be PAWFECT!
Old 06-05-11, 06:01 PM
theri_

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone wishing to carry their pooch in a trailer might care to look at this video featuring a Burley Travoy trailer and a (fairly) contented looking pup.<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67CMhdqmPcM&feature=related>. I'm planning on getting a Travoy trailer for its utility as a cargo carrier and a shopping cart but have been concerned that I might be better off with a pet trailer to carry my middle-ageing Jack Russell around. Now I see that the Travoy can do it all even though it is a bit pricey.