Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cars that don't use signals

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 07-24-05, 06:42 PM
Kyle90

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You ever run across these jerks? It's been countless times I have to stop to know if the person is gonna turn or go straight.. How hard is it to turn them on? What could they possibly be doing that they can't use one finger to turn it on..
Old 07-24-05, 06:55 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you are looking at their blinkers, I can assume you are behind them.

Therefor it is your responsibility to stay a safe distance and at a safe speed to allow them to swerve into the shoulder (your "lane" of travel) to avoid a pothole (or for any other reason).

If they're in front of you, it's YOUR fault for not having enough reaction time.
Old 07-24-05, 07:29 PM
Kyle90

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, I can be across from them. Wondering if they are gonna turn or what.. It's just an annoyance not knowing is they will or not.
Old 07-24-05, 07:32 PM
amahana1
serenity NOWWW!

Bikes: custom surly SS, several others in the works

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I watch for eye contact as much or more than I look for signals. If I dont get eye contact with a driver that Im not sure what they are going do, I use extreme caution.
Old 07-24-05, 07:36 PM
trekets

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by amahana1
I watch for eye contact as much or more than I look for signals. If I dont get eye contact with a driver that Im not sure what they are going do, I use extreme caution.
I like to make eye contact with drivers too. And I hate it when cars have the full tinted windows making eye contact impossible. I know some states have laws making full tint windows illegal, but some states allow it.
Old 07-24-05, 07:45 PM
Kyle90

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The limit here in 35 for tint, and I believe that's presidential tint. It's hard to make contact, considering the majority of the cars around here are driven by 20 yro's who think big exahusts and giant spoilers are cool.. I guess that makes it explainable why they don't use their signal.
Old 07-24-05, 07:48 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I never trust a turn signal. To tell you the truth, I don't set much stock in eye contact either. I just try to position myself where it's safest in the street or road.
Old 07-24-05, 09:53 PM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I don't even look at turn signals or make eye contact. I find neither to be reliable to even a small degree. I watch their wheels for any indication. If someone is going to turn in a particular direction, often they'll turn their wheels that way on a slight angle first -- even before their light changes (assuming they've actually stopped at it). Otherwise, like Roody, I just rely on correct lane positioning -- and it works everytime.

That is all.
Old 07-24-05, 10:02 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
I believe turn signals are an expensive option on newer vehicles...

Must be the reason I never see them used.
Old 07-24-05, 10:43 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
I believe turn signals are an expensive option on newer vehicles...

Must be the reason I never see them used.
With an annual safety inspection in Hawaii, most drivers do not want to take the chance of burning their turn signals out before the next inspection. Although, I have seen a couple of times it appears the driver has hit the lever accidently and drives a couple miles with the thing on.

On highways in Hawaii, if you use a turn signal prior to a lane change, the driver behind you in the lane you are moving to will speed up to discourage your lane change in front of him.

Oh yes, there is one instance in Hawaii that almost every driver will use a right turn signal; that is when they pull up behind a bicyclist who has taken a narrow lane at a red light. I guess these guys expect the cyclist to move onto the sidewalk so the driver can then make a right turn on red.

Hawaii is most definitely one of the worst states for using turn signals. A co-worker was making his first trip ever out of Hawaii at the age of 27. I told him that I was going to right down 3 things that would amaze him in the western states. I hit a perfect score. The 3 items were:
1. all the trains
2. drivers really do use turn signals
3. drivers give more room to change lanes when you signal and not less
Old 07-25-05, 06:36 AM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eh? Cars have turn signals? I thought I'd heard that somewhere, but it certainly can't be true. Can't say that I've ever seen those mythical "turn signal" things here in NYC.

Old 07-25-05, 06:54 AM
dccool879
BROKE MY BIK!!!

Bikes: ones i built

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my favorite is when you check for a turn signal or any indication of turning, and then it looks good to go, but they are just hiding it so they can feel really innocent and harmed when they slam on their brakes about to hit you and say GOD!!! with their eyes really wide open like this is an unbelivable situation. ahah especially when they have children in the back. then they can go tell their neighbors at the neighborhood bbq about how teens are so dangerous with their bicylces and drugs.
Old 07-25-05, 06:55 AM
Anthony King

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
With an annual safety inspection in Hawaii, most drivers do not want to take the chance of burning their turn signals out before the next inspection.
I can't tell if this is dry humor--in which case it is funny--or the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Do they not use their headlights at night for fear they will burn out as well? New signal bulbs are much cheaper than headlights.

I also believe most (if not all) states have annual inspection at which all lights are checked.
Old 07-25-05, 08:33 AM
landstander
darling no baka

Location: I come from a place where the nuts hunt the squirrels

Bikes: Bike Friday New World Tourist, 2005 Trek 520, 2005 Raleigh Companion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Anthony King
I also believe most (if not all) states have annual inspection at which all lights are checked.
Unfortunately Kansas doesn't require an inspection, annual or otherwise. It's not uncommon for me to run into (not literally) cars with only 1 out of 3 brake lights working. Thankfully, I haven't yet encountered any with all of the lights out... probably just a matter of time.
Old 07-25-05, 08:41 AM
va_cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roody made the best point of this thread. Turn signals are nice, but I don't usually trust them to the point of putting my body out in front of a 3000-lb. vehicle. I'll believe that car is turning when I actually see it turning -- until then, I'm assuming it's headed straight for me.
Old 07-25-05, 08:44 AM
genec
genec

I can't tell if this is dry humor--in which case it is funny--or the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Do they not use their headlights at night for fear they will burn out as well? New signal bulbs are much cheaper than headlights.

Dry humor no doubt... CA only checks for smog... not safety... if it rolls and doesn't pollute, it is on the streets.
Old 07-25-05, 08:48 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by va_cyclist
Roody made the best point of this thread. Turn signals are nice, but I don't usually trust them to the point of putting my body out in front of a 3000-lb. vehicle. I'll believe that car is turning when I actually see it turning -- until then, I'm assuming it's headed straight for me.
True true.

But I believe that the lack of use of turn signals, not only to cyclists, but to other motorists is a sign of the general discourtesy on the roadways. Many many drivers simply don't care about anybody else on the roadways... therefore, they don't signal, they fail to properly check for clearance, and they tend to be hostile to anything that they feel "impedes" their own personal progress.
Old 07-25-05, 08:49 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Maybe most, but not all. Iowa has no vehicle inspection requirement.
Old 07-25-05, 10:36 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I really don't see any real issue with turn signal use or not. It can help a little if the driver in front of you is going right so you can get going on their left quicker when the light turns, but its really just a convienience that can you can never rely on. But in no case do I have to know which way a driver is going.

Al
Old 07-26-05, 06:41 AM
kwv

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikepacker67
If you are looking at their blinkers, I can assume you are behind them.

Therefor it is your responsibility to stay a safe distance and at a safe speed to allow them to swerve into the shoulder (your "lane" of travel) to avoid a pothole (or for any other reason).

If they're in front of you, it's YOUR fault for not having enough reaction time.
And who's fault is it when as the title of this forum suggest "Cars that don't use signals"?
Old 07-26-05, 06:44 AM
kwv

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Dry humor no doubt... CA only checks for smog... not safety... if it rolls and doesn't pollute, it is on the streets.
So how come there are motor vehicles on the streets in CA as don't motor vehicles still pollute?
Old 07-26-05, 08:48 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by kwv
So how come there are motor vehicles on the streets in CA as don't motor vehicles still pollute?
Sure, just like the alcohol limit is .08... there is a touch of room in the laws.
Old 07-26-05, 08:49 AM
JohnBrooking
Commuter

Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress EX (7-speed internal hub)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This brings to mind the section of Hurst's The Art of Urban Cycling in which he talks about interpreting drivers' intention, with eye contact, vehicle positioning, and so on. At the end, he notes that the reader may be wondering that he has made no mention of turn signals. He then proceeds to make his official pronouncement on turn signals, which, if memory serves, is something like "Turn signals? Ha!"

I think the bottom line was something like they can possibly be taken into account as one of multiple clues to indicate driver intent, but are not used correctly and consistently enough to be the sole indicator, by either their presence or their absence.
Old 07-26-05, 02:18 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts

Yes it is a touch of humor. But case in point, when working with a night road crew, I saw at least three drivers a night that were also concerned about their headlights burning out before the next inspection.

I like your response to the post.
Old 07-26-05, 06:05 PM
Lion Steve

Bikes: '06 Raleigh Cadent road bike,'05 Trek 7200 hybrid,' 83 Schwinn Le Tour SS conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have noticed, while both biking and driving, that turn signal usage has declined due to the increase in cell phone usage. One hand on the wheel, one hand holding the phone - no hand left for the signal lever. I can't understand why it is so slow for laws to be passed limiting cell phones while driving.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.