Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Are Wally World Mountain Bikes Any Good?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Are Wally World Mountain Bikes Any Good?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-14, 12:18 AM
mox

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations on your new bike! With the overhaul it's just had, you should get many years and miles of enjoyment out of it.
Old 11-03-14, 07:42 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 265 Posts
Hi Jinkster...misunderstanding I suspect regarding spokes.
I did not mean to say the spokes on the 800 would rust, I meant the "cheap" Wally World type bikes. They don't use stainless steel spokes and will rust if they get and stay wet, etc.

I don't remember but would guess that like most bike shop bikes the 800 used stainless steel spokes and will not rust. Same goes for the heavy, stamped parts. The 800 uses less of them than the cheap bikes.

With care your 800 should last for many more years.
Old 11-03-14, 08:22 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Nice Bike, Jinx! Nice to know you don't have to go through it ---- so get your Blitz cloth out, and a can of wax, and make it sparkle! Just so you can go get it dirty in the mountains.................. yeah, you have to get the tooth brushes, cotton balls, and Q-tips out!

Nice score, enjoy the heck out of it! It will make a nice alternative to the road bike, for when it doesn't want to go where you want it to.
Old 11-03-14, 09:22 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Don't be afraid of actually using that bike for more than grassy knolls. I will endure a lot more than you are likely to be able to give it.
Old 11-03-14, 11:55 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
I volunteer at a community bike workshop and am always happy when I get a bike like that to work on - well made and easy to maintain. There doesn't look to be anything wrong with those wheels or spokes - the spokes look like stainless steel to me.

As long as the rear mech shifts OK there's nothing to worry about, but if there are any problems with it I'd see if the man who sold it to you could fit a better mech such as Deore LX, DX OR XT, or Alivio, probably only cost a few extra dollars but much better quality.

A good buy for the money now get out and enjoy it.
Old 11-03-14, 12:35 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Feature: If Wally World BSO is stolen, It Won't Matter much at all .
Old 11-03-14, 01:17 PM
swampboy62
hermit

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jinkster
Well?....thanks folks!...so many of you pooh=poohed the wally world bikes that I wrote them off a few posts back so?...that ain't happening and again?...thank you!..."So I'm Done With Wally World!"

2ndly?...after expanding my CL search to "all of south florida" and going bleary eye'd reviewing thousands of listings?...I've concluded that the internet is no longer a place to..."Get a Great Deal"...as it seems this same search tool has enabled all the sellers to discern exactly what their bikes are worth and then list them at top dollar if not a touch more to compensate for..."The Bicker Factor"...and as a result seems more a game of "suckers looking for suckers" rather than a land of great deals...with what seemed to be an obvious dash of bike thief rings thrown in for good measure...."So I'm Done With CL!"

And Lastly?...I'm sitting here laughing at myself this morning as to just how neurotically OCD I can and do get when I get bored and/or stressed...with my latest obsession (that almost turned into a compulsive "impulse buy") evidenced right here as I'm left asking myself...

"What were you thinking?" LOL!

I mean here I am living in one of the flattest states in the nation and what am I going after now?...a "Mountain Bike"?...and yeah...sure....we have some dirt paths going around lakes and woods by my house where having a fat tired bike with some suspension would be cool but?...I'm also still a 56 year old physically trashed diabetic of a former Marine who's been in so many motoX and sport bike motorcycle accidents that he hurts so bad some mornings that my most popular breakfast is a large bowl of aleve with a splash of milk so what business do I have with a rough riding mountain bike on choppy, beat me up trails? LOL!

"So I'm Over Mountain Bikes"

at least until I have another episode of acute OCD. LOL!

And with that?...I suppose I owe you all an apology for having wasted your time...and if I ever do get "The Mountain Bike Bug" again?...I'll just jump on my Giant OCR3 RB and go pedal down one of the many crumbly roads in my hood...that oughta cure me! LOL!

Thanks again, Ride Safe and L8R, Bill.

Mountain biking can be done without mountains. I live in Ohio, and while it's not as flat as Florida it certainly has some mtb trails that will give you an excellent ride.

Before you give up the idea altogether, go over to mtbr.com and check out some of the posts from the Florida forum. There are some really well known trails in your state.

And you simply won't believe how much fun mtb is. Try it before you give it up.

Steve Z
Old 11-03-14, 06:24 PM
Jinkster

Bikes: 2013 Specialized CrossTrail Disc,2004 Giant OCR3,1999 Trek Mountain Track Sport 800

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 26 Posts
Thank you all for the kind words and great support you've given me here and?...

Originally Posted by Kai Winters
Hi Jinkster...misunderstanding I suspect regarding spokes.
I did not mean to say the spokes on the 800 would rust, I meant the "cheap" Wally World type bikes. They don't use stainless steel spokes and will rust if they get and stay wet, etc.

I don't remember but would guess that like most bike shop bikes the 800 used stainless steel spokes and will not rust. Same goes for the heavy, stamped parts. The 800 uses less of them than the cheap bikes.

With care your 800 should last for many more years.
Kai?...NP Man..and thanks for clearing that up...this being the 50+ forum?...I guess we all have "senior moments" self included! LOL!

Last edited by Jinkster; 11-03-14 at 06:56 PM.