Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Buy Road Bike in Winter?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Buy Road Bike in Winter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-15, 07:57 AM
titani

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buy Road Bike in Winter?

I need a new road bike, and thinking about buying it in the winter, to get a discount. Does that work?
Old 10-24-15, 08:40 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I bought my Emonda in December and took delivery in January. It was a custom build so there was no end of year sale. But I did tell them I can pay cash upfront and negotiated a 19% discount.

Many shops have 2014 models which they do discount, the only problem is finding your size. For example, a 56 is the most common size, but if you ride a 52 or a 60 you might find one.

Last year a local guy got a 2014 Specialized Tarmac with Sram Red 10 for about half of list. The reason for the deep discount was that all the 2015 were 22 speed and they wanted to move it out.
Old 10-24-15, 08:57 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by titani
I need a new road bike, and thinking about buying it in the winter, to get a discount. Does that work?
If you find one on the sales floor leftover from the previous year. And, at least here in the Midwest, it is a slow time for bike shops so yes, they might be willing to negotiate.

More so than this, though, if you have any labor intensive bike projects you need help with, after November your LBS is more willing to work with you on these types of things than they might during their busy season when basic tune ups, and repairs are taking up most of their time.
Old 10-24-15, 08:59 AM
SirHustlerEsq

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It works if it's a POS that no one wanted last summer.
Old 10-24-15, 01:18 PM
Ben I.

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix Ultegra, 2016 Ridley X-Trail

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my Ridley Fenix from Performance last December a couple weeks before Christmas and got a great deal. Say what you will about PB but I got a fantastic road bike, full Ultegra (minus brakes) for a good price. Original price was $2400, marked down to $2000 because it was last years model and the last one, thankfully in my size. Plus another $250 off for an instant rebate, so total $650 off.

In order words, definitely can get good deals later in the year, just a matter of finding the right bike in the right size.
Old 10-24-15, 04:46 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
I bought my Orbea at the end of the year for 50% off when Competitive Cyclist was selling off the remainder of that years models.
Old 10-29-15, 12:53 PM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If the shops have last years models on the floor in your size it usually works. The catch is, if the shops buyer is good there will not be much of last years stuff left and even then, it will most likely be in sizes that are not so common, usually very big or small sizes. Sometimes shops are able to order old model year stuff at a discount to them and then pass that discount along to you, again, usually they do not have much available in common sizes though.