Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Beginner mods for Specialized Crosstrail?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 05-11-16, 07:04 PM
mgx42

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone, first post here. I bought a 2014 Crosstrail Disc (non sport model) last year which is my first bike since I was a kid. I plan to ride a lot this summer and was starting to think about what I can improve on the bike. So far I got a new seat and swapped out the plastic pedals for metal ones. Two things I'm not impressed with is the front fork and the weight of the bike. I mostly ride on the road and light trails so I was considering swapping out the clunky stock fork for a lighter rigid one. Is this a difficult task for someone who's never done it? Also, what are your recommendations for front forks? I would need one that can work with disc brakes, preferably something matte black that won't break the bank. I don't want to screw up the geometry of the bike either. Also if there are any other good mods for this bike please let me know!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mgx42; 05-11-16 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-15-16, 08:52 PM
Triaxtremec

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport, Kona Kahuna 29er, Santa Cruz Nickel 650b, Cannondale CAAD 10

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Surly Karate Monkey Fork 1-1/8" Disc Only Black | Bikewagon

Surly makes a rigid black fork that would work great. You'd want to take some measurements to make sure it won't mess with your geometry. Changing the fork is something you can do but with new forks you typically need a the shop to measure and cut it to length as well as uninstall and reinstall the headset that goes to the fork( i forget its name). If you want to drop some weight and rotational mass I'd get a lighter wheelset that supports tubeless set up as well as lighter tires that do the same. If you aren't hitting rough trails you don't need a chunky tires. You can get some that have much better rolling resistance.
Old 05-16-16, 09:40 AM
Mattyb13

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Tarmac Pro

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Pretty crazy how many mods/combos are avail and out there for the Crosstrail. You will love the bike! My lady and I both have Crosstrails and swear by them. We bought the following to get going:
lightweight water bottle cages
waterbottles
A park 3-1 hex tool to make adjustments.
Pedal baskets so I can ride to work in my Vans street shoes.
A Cateye bicycle computer. Admittedly Strava makes this somewhat redundant.
Some great chain lube.

I will say this, the lower end Crosstrails are awesome but fairly heavy. My girl complains to me about the weight of her bike all the time! Be cautious how much money you invest into making the bike lighter. Before you get to far you in will be into "maybe I should buy a Higher end/lighter bike."
Lots of awesome people on this forum with tons of helpful knowledge. Let us know how your build progresses!
Old 05-16-16, 06:51 PM
mgx42

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Triaxtremec
Surly Karate Monkey Fork 1-1/8" Disc Only Black | Bikewagon

Surly makes a rigid black fork that would work great. You'd want to take some measurements to make sure it won't mess with your geometry. Changing the fork is something you can do but with new forks you typically need a the shop to measure and cut it to length as well as uninstall and reinstall the headset that goes to the fork( i forget its name). If you want to drop some weight and rotational mass I'd get a lighter wheelset that supports tubeless set up as well as lighter tires that do the same. If you aren't hitting rough trails you don't need a chunky tires. You can get some that have much better rolling resistance.
Thanks for the information. I actually inquired about that fork with my LBS. They said it should fit fine. One thing the guy mentioned was that I would need disc brake adapters too. I was a bit confused since this forks states "disc only". Doesn't that mean it's ready to go out of the box for disc brakes? Or does that mean it can fit adapters? I just want to make sure that I'm not missing something here before they order it for me.
Old 05-16-16, 08:38 PM
Triaxtremec

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Sport, Kona Kahuna 29er, Santa Cruz Nickel 650b, Cannondale CAAD 10

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
their are various adapters that can be used with your disc brakes depending on the rotor size you plan on using. Usually if you are using a 160mm rotor you are find but if you choose to do a 180mm you'll need a $10 spacer/adapter.
Old 05-17-16, 08:20 AM
manthe

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12 Ultegra Disc (2017), Cannondale Synapse 105 Carbon (rim brakes, 2017), Cannondale Quick CX 1 (2016), Specialized Hardrock Sport hardtail (2009), Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc (2014), Cannondale Quick CX 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My wife rides Crosstrail - it's the Sport Disc model. I've done a bunch of upgrades - but I've made sure that every upgrade was something I could move to a new frame. I put a full SLX groupset on (10sp drivetrain/ shifters and brake set - except for the cassette - that is an Ultegra 11-23), Saint pedals, Easton Carbon bars, Easton carbon seatpost, Spec. BG Saddle (can't rmbr which), Ergon GP1 grips with carbon bar ends, Maddux wheel set, carbon bottle cages, Cateye comp, speed & cadence sensor, etc...All stuff that can be moved when the time comes.

With all of this, the bike rides and performs very well. Every one of the upgrades has offered an improvement - some small, some larger. Cumulatively it has made great difference. Still, it is a heavy beast with a somewhat clunky, entry-level fork so there is only so much that can be done. We ride a lot - every day - ~100 to ~140 miles per week. If we didn't ride as much - the weight and fork probably wouldn't be a big deal. But we do...so it is. We're still considering a few options for her next frame. The good news is - I already have a fairly nice (almost complete) set of components - so all we have to do is find a frame and fork she likes and swap everything over! Just something to consider when buying components/upgrades. Good luck!