Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Just hanging out shooting the bull

Search
Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Just hanging out shooting the bull

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-18, 01:40 AM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
The thing that's funny about modern equipment is how many people yearn for "vintage" equipment. While I have nostalgia for old stuff and own some of it, I wouldn't trade any of my current 'kit' for vintage bikes and gear. I still have the second bike I raced (in restored condition), a wool Renault jersey of Greg Lemond vintage that is still quite serviceable, the last leather hairnet that I wore in races, and a NOS pair of Addidas lace-up, leather shoes with adjustable, screw-in cleats. Guess I'm ready for the next Eroica California if the 14-18 straight block on the bike is sufficient.

When I started racing, I could barely afford to buy shorts. My mother is an expert seamstress and she copied my store-bought shorts and used chamois that I bought at the local automotive parts store to pad the shorts. She also repaired my purchased short with the same "automotive" chamois. Sometimes I would apply Vaseline to soften the chamois after washing but generally I just softened them through riding.

Side story: A forum member once tried the same brand and model of modern TT saddle that I use. He said it felt like a knife up his a$$ and that I must have an iron a$$. Maybe.

Skiing was actually my first favorite sport through my dad's love of skiing. Like Racer Ex, I had leather boots with bear trap bindings on wood skis. Graduated to cable bindings before switching to step-in, release bindings and fiberglass skis. Tried to be a ski racer for a number of years but trying to bend 200 cm skis through slalom gates when you're 5' 7" and 120 lbs (or less) was kind of a losing game. I was better pedaling a bicycle uphill at that time.

Maybe I'd be a better Masters ski racer than a Masters bicycle racer now.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 01-11-18, 10:33 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I had all the vintage stuff but did not keep any. It was probably due to several moves where we tried to purge stuff that was not necessary. Since we have reduced our skiing, we rent skis and bring our own boots. I did not have the older version skis and boots. I learned to ski on modern bindings that release.

I did have the lace up cycling shoes with metal cleats that were nailed on the bottom.
Old 01-11-18, 11:26 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Cleave

Maybe I'd be a better Masters ski racer than a Masters bicycle racer now.
Towards the end of last season I bought some new "resort" skis; I had been skiing everything on my big back country boards with randonee bindings. Great in powder and crud, but like driving a pickup truck everywhere else. Not exactly "sporty". The new skis are super light, really a joy to use in bumps and knife edge on groomers.

I did a few ski races over the years, even have on medal somewhere around here. After skiing the new boards I started thinking "hmmmm, maybe I should do a few races".

This is the equivalent of a heroin addict thinking they should add a little crack to the mix. You know, just a casual hit here or there.

My fantasy of skiing groomers mid month isn't going to happen. Not enough ROM yet and it would be dumb to fit a liner around a foot that swells up and down like a balloon and hurts. Maybe next month, so I'm going to roll my season pass over to next year, no way I'll amortize it. Note from the doctor coming:

"Dear Mr. Mountrose, Racer Ex is an idiot, please excuse this"
Old 01-11-18, 12:24 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I had all the vintage stuff but did not keep any. It was probably due to several moves where we tried to purge stuff that was not necessary. Since we have reduced our skiing, we rent skis and bring our own boots. I did not have the older version skis and boots. I learned to ski on modern bindings that release.

I did have the lace up cycling shoes with metal cleats that were nailed on the bottom.
Similar, I think I have an old set of 8 Speed STI shifters (down tube) sitting around. Might be a quill stem or two. Moved too many times. I tend to not hang onto old stuff, especially when the new gear is so effective.

I do have some late 80's early 90's vintage jerseys & a skin suite (a couple with the tags still on them). From an old "Ten Speed Drive" sponsored team. They now fit me again!
Old 01-11-18, 12:51 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

On the flip side of vintage, we have technology. I am in Newport Beach and I have a cold. I woke up with my eyes sealed shut. I was suspicious it was pink eye but wanted to have a doc check it out. My options were go to an urgent care center and go through the fill out forms and wait.

As part of our medical insurance, we have the option for a Dr. on Demand virtual doc. I downloaded the application on my iPhone and filled out the forms etc. I had to wait about 20 minutes for a doc. It was a FaceTime call where I could see him and he would see me. We discussed the symptoms and he was able to examine my eyes via the iPhone X front camera. Yes, I have pink eye.

It will run its course and he gave me something for my cough but there was nothing for the pink eye that he could prescribe via video visit. He said if I went to an ophthalmologist who could do a detailed inspection of my eyes, he may prescribe a steroid that would expedite recovery. He said even if I visited the virtual docs office, he does not have the tools or training to inspect the eye and know that a steroid would be okay for use. Steroids can complicate other issues in the eye so the best play is to let the pink eye take its course.

It is highly contagious so I cannot touch my eyes, wash my hands frequently and not touch other people.

I really liked the virtual doc versus going to a new doc at an urgent care center. And it is much less expensive for me and the insurance company. And they have docs who are licensed on a global basis so it is great for travel.
Old 01-11-18, 01:10 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
I really liked the virtual doc versus going to a new doc at an urgent care center.
So in terms that we elderly cyclists can relate to is using the virtual doc app vs going through the urgent care center experience equivalent to a Zwift workout vs riding on a chip-seal road with a slowly flatting rear tire in a cold drizzle?

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 01-11-18 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-11-18, 01:16 PM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
My BMX days were in jeans, Converse sneakers, and a rugby jersey. I didn't go back to cycling until they had modernized the gear.

I did DH ski in lace up leather boots and bear trap bindings. When I got new boots my dad made me stand in them in a hot shower to soften the leather to get them to fit
Let's see if I know how to post a picture... Don't mind the Mason jars... they are used for canning purposes ONLY

https://s1243.photobucket.com/user/ib...tml?sort=3&o=0

Last edited by IBOHUNT; 01-11-18 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-11-18, 02:49 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by Bandera
So in terms that we elderly cyclists can relate to is using the virtual doc app vs going through the urgent care center experience equivalent to a Zwift workout vs riding on a chip-seal road with a slowly flatting rear tire in a cold drizzle?

-Bandera
I assume that elderly cyclists refers you and someone else like you not on this board. At 88, my mother calls herself elderly but still sports an 8 golf handicap. Every time she plays the elderly card, I remind her that her neurology is off the charts. Alas, the end is near for her but now is not the time to throw in the cards. She has a few aces left or at least kings and queens.

To answer your question, I say no. I have tried Zwift and it is sort of BS. How do I know this? Everyone passes me. I know they are using doped trainers.
Old 01-11-18, 07:40 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Old 01-11-18, 09:52 PM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
[QUOTE=Hermes;20103952]It is highly contagious so I cannot touch my eyes, wash my hands frequently and not touch other people.

Uhm, didn't we shake hands on Tuesday night?
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 01-11-18, 10:24 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

[QUOTE=Cleave;20105090]
It is highly contagious so I cannot touch my eyes, wash my hands frequently and not touch other people.

Uhm, didn't we shake hands on Tuesday night?
Maybe but I washed my hands and used the sanitizer before leaving VSC so I think you are okay. I did not know until Wednesday.
Old 01-11-18, 11:47 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
On the flip side of vintage, we have technology...I really liked the virtual doc versus going to a new doc at an urgent care center. And it is much less expensive for me and the insurance company. And they have docs who are licensed on a global basis so it is great for travel.
We have that virtual doc thing too with our new health insurance at work. It’s intriguing, glad to hear it worked pretty well.

Ugh on the Pink Eye though. No fun.
Old 01-12-18, 09:22 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
With the flu being as virulent as it apparently is this season, when at work I either don't go into ER's at all or if I have, I don a mask and wash my hands OFTEN...

So far, so good...
Old 01-26-18, 09:18 PM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Hi everyone! Been quite a while since logging on - hotter than Hades here today so just sitting in front of the air conditioner and decided to read through the numerous pages in this topic...
@Racer Ex - how is the foot going? Fell off a ladder??? I still have a scar on the back of my head from stepping off a ladder onto a brick and falling backwards hitting my head on the edge of a skip in the drive that needed a few stitches! Ladders are dangerous!! All the years rock climbing and I never needed to be stitched up...
@Rev Chuck - eye all good now?
@Hermes - Porsche arrived yet?

Me - still haven't considered racing again. I have been still riding, but just commuting to work... Only been on the bike twice with the intent of just going for a ride since Paulette was diagnosed back in July 15!

I flew to Malta last October and placed her ashes in a lovely spot below the old city of Mdina as she wished. Very emotional trip! Continued on and spent a very reflective 3 weeks bouldering by myself in the forest of Fontainebleau in France.

Have been just doing things that fill my day. Driving my Porsche in the hills, rock climbing, playing social tennis with my brother and niece and skiing both resort and back country Alpine down hill last winter.

Been keen to enter some car club sprints and hill climbs. Without being able to insure the Porsche for the track and not having raced before I wanted something cheaper to take out first. End result is a clean 92 MR2 Turbo hardtop bought last weekend. Some subtle mods already in place so putting out a respectable 234 hp at the rear wheels on the dyno. Flew up to Queensland and drove it 1900km back home!

Old 01-27-18, 10:30 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Dalai It sounds like you are getting your life together and doing some interesting things. My Porsche is still sitting in a bonded warehouse in LA. According to Porsche, the EPA is slow walking approval. It has passed all tests and waiting for paperwork sign off.

I have thought of racing my Boxster at one of the closed courses but have never pulled the trigger. There is a new Porsche facility called the Porsche driving experience that is located near the Carson track. At this facility, one rents a Porsche for a couple of hours and one goes out with an instructor to challenge a course at the facility. This is more about learning to drive under challenging conditions simulating accidents, spinouts and various other obstacles. Also, one gets to go on the race track.

One can rent most any Porsche so it is just a matter of how much one wants to spend. It is pricey but one could always justify that if it saves one bad accident, it is worth the cost of admission.

I was waiting until I get my new Porsche and then do the driving experience renting a Cayenne.
Old 01-27-18, 07:06 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
@Dalai, welcome back, it’s good to hear from you.
Old 01-29-18, 03:05 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by Heathpack
@Dalai, welcome back, it’s good to hear from you.
+1! And, cool car! (I'd love to have a Civic Type R, but, nope....)

Last edited by sarals; 01-30-18 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-30-18, 11:44 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Hey Dalai, good to read you're out there in motion. Yep, fell off a ladder and blew my heel to bits. Four screws, two months completely off my feet. Slowly getting back with that. Currently sitting in my nuerosurgeon's office waiting for my MRI results. Doc is currently 45 minutes late. Nice them to not call so I get to enjoy the waiting room...
Old 01-30-18, 11:49 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Hey Dalai, good to read you're out there in motion. Yep, fell off a ladder and blew my heel to bits. Four screws, two months completely off my feet. Slowly getting back with that. Currently sitting in my nuerosurgeon's office waiting for my MRI results. Doc is currently 45 minutes late. Nice them to not call so I get to enjoy the waiting room...
Old 02-04-18, 03:28 PM
Bandera
~>~

Ditched, Again

Rode through a favorite low water crossing, a tight downhill off-camber left-hand decreasing radius curve on eroded chip-seal, marked "15 MPH" again this AM to find a late model Porsche stuffed with great vigor backwards in the outside ditch. Well done! That raises the bar for Saturday night stupidity from the usual F-150 slammed into the same spot, but well off last season's $$$,$$$ Ferrar-Borgini buried door-deep in the ditch.

That is now one very expensive lease.....

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 02-05-18 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-08-18, 10:16 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4413 Post(s)
Liked 4,524 Times in 3,026 Posts
I like eating at OST in Bandera then as always I get dragged into Shoe Biz for hours. I have seen many a F-150 or equivalent failing to negotiate a curve on these gravel roads and of course it had nothing to do with alcohol.
Old 02-09-18, 05:58 AM
tourisme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hello Dalai. Forgive a stranger for butting in but be careful with that MR2. I had one of them (red, in my case) back in the early nineties and there's something not quite right with the handling, it's too easy to get the back end out and too difficult to correct. In wet conditions it was the hairiest car I ever had.
Old 02-09-18, 07:59 AM
Bandera
~>~

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
I like eating at OST in Bandera
CFS, a staple on the Old Spanish Trail.

-Bandera
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CFS.jpg (10.7 KB, 77 views)

Last edited by Bandera; 02-09-18 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-12-18, 05:31 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
@tourisme Appreciate the feedback. I know the SW20 is renown for snap oversteer, so as soon as my car is back from the roadworthy testing (still at my mechanics going over it for me) I will be hunting down a local MR2 specialist and get the suspension modified with a track focus. Hopefully I'll be able minimise the trait.

I had considered a GC8 WRX as my unmodified 04 Turbo Forster is fast enough and sticks well in all conditions due to the AWD. But intentionally went for a rear wheel drive to learn. Idea is if I can handle the MR2 adequately, I'll consider taking my 84 911 out onto the track. As neither can be insured for the track, I'll be less upset if the MR2 gets damaged!
Old 02-12-18, 02:56 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Cars. Yeah! I would have owned a Honda S2000 if I hadn't needed something more practical when it was available (and I was younger). My spouse had a Taurus SHO, and earlier, a T-Bird Turbo Coupe. I had a Chevy S-10! I always had motorcycles (you boys can't have all the fun), and my Honda 305 Super Hawk, which I purchased in 1973 and restored three years ago, sits quietly in my garage where I go out and admire her from time to time. I don't have the reflexes or visual acuity to ride motorcycles comfortably any more, and besides, the generation of drivers dominating the roads around here these days are entirely too aggressive. I am satisfied in seeing my old Honda in a state that it never was when I was young and riding it, and then recalling those wonderful days. For adrenaline, I go to the track and do a flying 200. It's funny how things, perspectives, and priorities change. About to age up....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.