Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Old Brooks Saddle

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old Brooks Saddle

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-08, 08:25 AM
ivesjd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old Brooks Saddle

Is this Brooks Saddle still any good?

I've been reading and I've seen a few that are worse are off then this one. I'm also a light rider (about 150 lbs) so if I put some oil on it (or Proofide) should it be okay?
Old 07-07-08, 12:22 PM
hxzero
Needs to Ride More

Bikes: 1996 Bianchi EL/OS, 1991 Miyata QuickCross

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe put something under it and lace the sides together to keep the shape? It looks like it's losing its shape on the sides.
Old 07-07-08, 12:28 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by hxzero
Maybe put something under it and lace the sides together to keep the shape? It looks like it's losing its shape on the sides.
Treat it, treat it, treat it, then treat it some more. Then try the above. Good luck
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 07-07-08, 12:35 PM
jgmacg

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Be sure to get that mildew off before you treat it with Lexol or Proofide or whatever. A good cleaning with saddle soap might do it.

Old 07-07-08, 01:48 PM
kpug505

Bikes: Motobecane Mirage fixed gear, Nashbar Alpha Road 5000, Bianchi Grizzly, Coppi Fiorelli, , Schwinn Trike, , GT All Terra, Old Peugeot, Nishiki 3 speed, Bugatti, Cannondale Black Lightning, Dura All, Bianchi Touring, Bridgestone T700 & more

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
My daily riders Brooks is probably in worse shape than that (minus the mold). It has a missing rivet in the rear and the rear rail is outa whack. It's got a pretty good tear starting on one of the front rivets. Still going strong! I call it the butta 'cause it's like butta on yer.....well you get the point. When I got it it looked terrible and had been in a locker at a LBS for ever. I treated it several times on the top and bottom, slapped it on there and have been riding it for nearly 3 years now. I think this is the last season for the bugger though.........It's replacement is waiting patiently (NOS B5N) which I am sure won't be like butta for awhile at least.
Ya, so clean it and treat it! It'll be fine for awhile.

Check out my bike blog!
Old 07-07-08, 04:02 PM
ivesjd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kpug505
My daily riders Brooks is probably in worse shape than that (minus the mold). It has a missing rivet in the rear and the rear rail is outa whack. It's got a pretty good tear starting on one of the front rivets. Still going strong! I call it the butta 'cause it's like butta on yer.....well you get the point. When I got it it looked terrible and had been in a locker at a LBS for ever. I treated it several times on the top and bottom, slapped it on there and have been riding it for nearly 3 years now. I think this is the last season for the bugger though.........It's replacement is waiting patiently (NOS B5N) which I am sure won't be like butta for awhile at least.
Ya, so clean it and treat it! It'll be fine for awhile.

That is good to hear! This is my first Brooks saddle and I'm pretty excited. I prefer a firm saddle so I think me and my new Brooks are gonna get along just fine

Once I cleaned it up I was able to read that it is a B17.
B.T.W. anyone know what model this would be. It came off of a '72 Raleigh Competition (if that helps at all)

Last edited by ivesjd; 07-07-08 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-07-08, 04:09 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
It will be fine with some Proofide, or I've also used Sno Seal with good success. Stay away from oils. But before any of that, I'd give it a couple wipe-downs with a warm water and bleach solution to kill that mildew. Let it dry well, then commence with the proper treatment.
Old 07-07-08, 07:44 PM
dake13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got my current B17 off a yard sale bike three or four years ago. It was beat to hell, but I toothbrushed some baking soda on the copper rivets and rubbed in six or seven coats of proofide. You wouldn't believe how good the saddle looks now.
Old 08-01-08, 11:03 PM
ivesjd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Success!!

I've been riding with my Brooks for almost a month now. I cleaned and treated it with Lexol soap and then their leather treatment. It cleaned up nice and is really starting to get comfy. I had a friend from the LBS say it was really hard. So I'm not sure if its harder then normal, though I like where it's at. I haven't done any long rides on it though. But I'm gonna do a 250 mile tour in a few weeks and that'll get some miles on it
Thanks for all the help everyone.
Old 08-02-08, 08:30 AM
Netdewt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dake13
I got my current B17 off a yard sale bike three or four years ago. It was beat to hell, but I toothbrushed some baking soda on the copper rivets and rubbed in six or seven coats of proofide. You wouldn't believe how good the saddle looks now.
Before/after pics?