Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

anyone try Panaracer gravel king 28mm tubeless?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-15, 12:48 PM
bikebreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

For next year they are making a tubeless specific 40mm, I am interested in the 28mm for my rain bike. Rims would be stan's or pacenti.

A search did not reveal anyone reporting if it can work tubeless, but Panaracer also makes the tires for Compass (Jan Jeine) and there are people running those tubeless.

thanks
Old 12-15-15, 09:34 PM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The 40mm Gravelking is available now and is a great tire. Mine has been flawless set up tubeless. Technically the 28 is not tubeless and I am usually hesitant to run high pressure/narrow non tubeless ready tires tubeless as the beads are usually not strong enough to take it.

If you want a tougher road tubeless tire you can check these guys out All-Road Tires | Teravail

If you want to go with lighter/faster I recently set up the Maxxis Paradone TL tubeless and was very impressed by it.
Old 12-16-15, 05:38 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,712 Times in 1,034 Posts
I wouldn't dare run a standard clincher tire tubeless, and I wouldn't suggest anyone else do either.

I do wish a fast, lightweight, tubeless 28c file tread were available, though, but am unaware of one.

Only the Compass Bon Jon Pass is indicated by Compass as tubeless.

Have you seen the new Schwalbe S-One 30c tubeless? Should be very sweet.
Old 12-16-15, 06:11 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've been running Gravel King 28s on my main commuter bike for about 6 months and they've been great, by far the best 28 mm tire I have tried over the years. Most 28s run narrow, measuring close to 26-26.5 mm wide (eg, Contis, Vittorias). My GKs measure 30mm wide on Velocity Dyad rims and should measure a true 28 or slightly wider on rims like Open Pros. GKs are lighter than most 28s, weighing about 270-280 grams, which is great for a tire that size. They roll very nicely and provide a plush ride at reasonable air pressures; I usually run mine at 95 psi rear and 85 front.

i've put about 1,500 miles on my GKs and they appear to have plenty of life left on them. The 28s are smooth with virtually no tread, but wider versions have noticeable tread. I've had one flat, ironically from a sharp piece of gravel. I could have avoided that flat if I had stopped to check my tires when I heard the telltale thump, thump, thump but foolishly kept riding.

On top of all these praises, GKs are priced very reasonably and I will be buying more of them. I cannot comment on whether than can or should be run tubeless.
Old 12-16-15, 11:11 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,712 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
I've been running Gravel King 28s on my main commuter bike for about 6 months and they've been great, by far the best 28 mm tire I have tried over the years. Most 28s run narrow, measuring close to 26-26.5 mm wide (eg, Contis, Vittorias). My GKs measure 30mm wide on Velocity Dyad rims and should measure a true 28 or slightly wider on rims like Open Pros. GKs are lighter than most 28s, weighing about 270-280 grams, which is great for a tire that size. They roll very nicely and provide a plush ride at reasonable air pressures; I usually run mine at 95 psi rear and 85 front.

i've put about 1,500 miles on my GKs and they appear to have plenty of life left on them. The 28s are smooth with virtually no tread, but wider versions have noticeable tread. I've had one flat, ironically from a sharp piece of gravel. I could have avoided that flat if I had stopped to check my tires when I heard the telltale thump, thump, thump but foolishly kept riding.

On top of all these praises, GKs are priced very reasonably and I will be buying more of them. I cannot comment on whether than can or should be run tubeless.
A few days I ago I started a thread in the Road Forum re: GravelKings: https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...avelkings.html