Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Sram 1x

Old 06-09-19, 07:17 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonated
Lots of good information - thanks. I have to agree Maelochs, my question wasn't very clear.

I mainly wanted feedback from those who have experience with 1X's and the type of riding they do. I have access to a state park with gravel trails and I'm thinking of buying a 1X cross bike to replace my old Trek triple but have reservations because of my age and diminishing strength and speed.

I'd also like to use it on the road occasionally though I already have a couple of road bikes. From responses here, although not optimal, I could use it on the road.
In that case I think SRAM 1x would fit your needs perfectly. The mech is really quite nice.
Old 06-17-19, 08:01 PM
volosong

Bikes: n + 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by volosong
I have one in transit right now. It shipped yesterday and will take a week or so to make it to the boonies of Idaho. It's a carbon hardtail MTB with a SRAM 1x12 GX Eagle. Chainring is 32T and cassette is a 10-50. For it's anticipated usage, I don't really care about jumps in gear ratios. When I think that my old "ten speed" only had 2x5, I think a 1x12 will be fine.
Thought I'd give a brief report on two outings with the above described bike. There is an image of the bike below and an image of the trails upon which I made the two rides last week. Both rides were about ten miles in length each.

1.) Shifting is fine. As mentioned by others, no derailleur noise. Downshifts under power flawless. Upshifts under power as could be expected. It is best to shift after momentarily easing off on the pedals, as one would normally do. I was still able to get an upshift under power, but it was not smooth or easy.

2.) I found the 32-50 gear too low. One would only use it on a very steep hill, and I found that on such hills, my weight was so far forward on the bike, even while still seated on the saddle, that the rear wheel started slipping, especially on surfaces that were not compacted. Since such a gear ratio results in a very low forward speed, I found it more expedient to just dismount and hoof it up the short, steep hills.

3.) The 32-10 gear was plenty high enough for how fast I wanted to go, especially on single and double track trails/roads.

4.) The gaps in gearing was not an issue, (for me and my riding style). I was always able to find just the right gear for the gradient and surface material. As would be expected, on modest gradients, most of the time I was in the middle of the cassette, slightly trending toward the larger sprockets. (Surface of the two rides was very little asphalt, loose and compacted dirt, gravel, and single track with half-buried, isolated rocks that needed to be avoided if possible.)

5.) First time in decades I rode with platform pedals instead of being clipped in. I liked the convenience of just putting my foot down and taking off, but my foot wanted to slip off once or twice on especially rough terrain. Still debating if I want to swap in MTB pedals or keep the platforms.

6.) My other MTB is full-suspension. Didn't miss the rear suspension in the least. I really like this hardtail. Being a carbon frame, it's fairly lightweight, (advertised at 22 pounds, minus pedals, etc. That's probably for the small sized frame. Mine is the largest size available.). Took a few rides to dial in the adjustments, (seat height, brake lever angle, move the shifter further inboard so my thumb wouldn't hit it so much, etc.)

7.) Got a slow-leak flat from a sticker that I didn't notice until the next morning after I cleaned the bike. For the first time in my life, I was able to remove and re-install a tire without using tire irons. That made me feel good!

8.) Would I go 1x on a road bike??? I don't know. This is my first SRAM bike and the cable routing of the RD is just weird. Had my favorite LBS check out the bike after I assembled it and had them do the final brake and derailleur adjustments. Don't think I could perform the RD adjustment on my own. If Shimano ever comes out with a 1x for road bikes, then I'd seriously take a look. Probably won't convert a roadie to 1x if SRAM is the only option.

9.) I'm happy and satisfied with my purchase. Heading out again tomorrow to take another ride in the forest.

Originally Posted by Carbonated
I mainly wanted feedback from those who have experience with 1X's and the type of riding they do. I have access to a state park with gravel trails and I'm thinking of buying a 1X cross bike to replace my old Trek triple but have reservations because of my age and diminishing strength and speed.

I'd also like to use it on the road occasionally though I already have a couple of road bikes. From responses here, although not optimal, I could use it on the road.
Carbonated, I'll be 68 in two months and I've definitely noticed that my strength and speed have diminished the past two years. I really need to get some more miles in and spend more time at the gym. I think a 1x would be a viable option you should seriously consider. For the time being, I'm sticking with "traditional" gearing on my road bikes, albeit with a compact chainring.

Last edited by volosong; 06-17-19 at 08:15 PM.