Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Do you participate in cycling events?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Do you participate in cycling events?

Old 07-23-18, 08:48 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Anyone doing cycling events these days?

I've done four non-competitive "events" so far this summer - two road rides, and two gravel rides. I'm also planning to do two or three events in our local gravel enduro series (already registered for two - what on earth was I thinking???)

These events are all fairly close by - 10-15 miles from my house. I've found that it works well to just get up pretty early and ride nice 'n easy to the event - a good warmup. If I still have energy, I can push it on the way home - if not, I can take it slow.

On the one gravel ride, everyone ran out of water and nearly overheated. I probably could have hitched a ride in a vehicle, but fortunately, two other riders also rode to the event, so we pacelined it back to town.
Old 07-24-18, 04:00 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Anyone doing cycling events these days?

I've done four non-competitive "events" so far this summer - two road rides, and two gravel rides. I'm also planning to do two or three events in our local gravel enduro series (already registered for two - what on earth was I thinking???)

These events are all fairly close by - 10-15 miles from my house. I've found that it works well to just get up pretty early and ride nice 'n easy to the event - a good warmup. If I still have energy, I can push it on the way home - if not, I can take it slow.

On the one gravel ride, everyone ran out of water and nearly overheated. I probably could have hitched a ride in a vehicle, but fortunately, two other riders also rode to the event, so we pacelined it back to town.

I think it's great you're doing events.

We were doing events last summer ... a 200K in February and a 300K in early March.

And the 200K was followed by a car free cycling week as well.

But then Rowan's accident ... and winter ... happened, and it will probably be a while before we do much in the way of cycling events. Hopefully we'll be back into it again, at least a little bit, next summer.
Old 07-24-18, 10:59 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Originally Posted by Machka

But then Rowan's accident ... and winter ... happened, and it will probably be a while before we do much in the way of cycling events. Hopefully we'll be back into it again, at least a little bit, next summer.
I've been following Rowan's injury on the other thread - his progress has been amazing! I'm sure the two of you will be doing events again soon!
Old 08-24-18, 07:37 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Fun event last weekend: the Hokah Hilly Hundred, which is the first event in the brand-new Driftless Gravel Enduro Series. The ride itself was ~67 miles, and riding to and from the start added ~20 miles.

I let the "fast group" go do their thing, but the slow group was a bit too slow...so I rode on my own for a little bit, and then rode for a while with a regular riding buddy who is slower than me on climbs but faster on descents (so about even). At the rest stop we collected a few other riders, and had a fairly nice moderate group of 5-6 heading back to the finish.

I've promised myself (and my significant other) no racing because I have a nasty competitive streak, and there's always going to be someone who works harder, has better equipment, and is just a better athlete. These kinds of events are more my speed!
Old 08-24-18, 07:57 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Fun event last weekend: the Hokah Hilly Hundred, which is the first event in the brand-new Driftless Gravel Enduro Series. The ride itself was ~67 miles, and riding to and from the start added ~20 miles.

I let the "fast group" go do their thing, but the slow group was a bit too slow...so I rode on my own for a little bit, and then rode for a while with a regular riding buddy who is slower than me on climbs but faster on descents (so about even). At the rest stop we collected a few other riders, and had a fairly nice moderate group of 5-6 heading back to the finish.

I've promised myself (and my significant other) no racing because I have a nasty competitive streak, and there's always going to be someone who works harder, has better equipment, and is just a better athlete. These kinds of events are more my speed!
Well done!!
Old 09-02-18, 01:59 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

One more event: the Mini Donut Gravel Enduro.

This time, the start was only about a mile from my house!

There were in fact mini donuts...

Old 09-03-18, 02:44 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

One more event: the Mini Donut Gravel Enduro.

This time, the start was only about a mile from my house!

There were in fact mini donuts...

Excellent!

We'll get back into the events again ... maybe next summer.
Old 06-16-19, 04:40 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

It's event season in the Northern Hemisphere again!

Sunday, June 2 was the June Dairy Days Classique Bike Tour, a 63 mile supported event through the rolling hills north of West Salem, Wisconsin. I rode to and from my house for an even 100 miles.

Today (June 16), was a mildly organized gravel event in southeast Minnesota - the Wired Rooster Gravel Ride, named after a coffee shop in Caledonia, MN. I ended up getting a lift to the start, as I anticipated a rain delay and did not leave early enough to make it. My cycling friend who transported me shares a car with his wife, who rode along and then took the vehicle over to some of the larger shops in Minnesota. The 13.5 mile ride back home made it enough of a day, anyhow.
Old 06-19-19, 02:29 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

It's event season in the Northern Hemisphere again!

Sunday, June 2 was the June Dairy Days Classique Bike Tour, a 63 mile supported event through the rolling hills north of West Salem, Wisconsin. I rode to and from my house for an even 100 miles.

Today (June 16), was a mildly organized gravel event in southeast Minnesota - the Wired Rooster Gravel Ride, named after a coffee shop in Caledonia, MN. I ended up getting a lift to the start, as I anticipated a rain delay and did not leave early enough to make it. My cycling friend who transported me shares a car with his wife, who rode along and then took the vehicle over to some of the larger shops in Minnesota. The 13.5 mile ride back home made it enough of a day, anyhow.

Old 06-20-19, 08:13 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
In Ontario, Oregon avoiding traffic is a cycling event and I think maybe four of us are competitive.
Old 06-24-19, 07:21 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
So, I'm wondering how you've dealt with transportation issues for your cycling events?
Back in the day when I did such things I just showed up at the local meeting place with a Yakima rack attachment for my road bike, and a pocket full of gas money. I never failed to find someone with space on their roof rack and an empty seat.

Nowadays, roof racks are rare. No biggie. I am old and hate people now so I don't care.
Old 07-03-19, 10:00 PM
JBHoren
Living 'n Dying in ¾-Time

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
No... not interested in doing so. I like "solitary cycling".