Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Is my gearing/speed off?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Is my gearing/speed off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-18, 11:55 PM
Carcosa

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
You type bad.

Originally Posted by Altimis
BUT most serious fast riders MASH TO WIN. not spin.
And that's not right.
Old 02-13-18, 09:52 PM
rEVOLVED

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I want to try to end up in the 68-70 gear inch range. It almost seems cheaper to buy a new chain ring since I can replace that easier with no tools than a cog. With a replacement cog, I'm paying at least $15 for the part, plus install. I'm looking to keep the 16t cog on the back, but go to a 42t up front. Will FSA Gimondi do the trick?

Also, does it matter if 42/16 gets me 69 gear inches, but so does 50/19? Will they feel the same?
Old 02-14-18, 05:45 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Just buy the chain whip and spanner wrench and instal yourself. You're gonna want to change cogs again sometime. And again after that.
Old 02-14-18, 07:53 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by rEVOLVED
Also, does it matter if 42/16 gets me 69 gear inches, but so does 50/19? Will they feel the same?
Same gear inches will feel the same however you get there. And I agree that a chainring swap is easier, though it involves a larger adjustment of chain length (which you'd have to do anyway with a 3t change in the rear so whatever).

And I think you'll be quite pleased at ~69 inches.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 02-14-18, 08:21 AM
JeremyLC

Bikes: 2008 Surly Cross Check, 2010 Fuji Track Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Oxley
...(which you'd have to do anyway with a 3t change in the rear so whatever)...

I have a bike setup with a dual sided fixed/fixed hub with a 15t on one side and an 18t on the other. I had to use a half-link in the chain, but I can use the same chain on both sides. (48t chainring). If you have long enough track ends, this just barely works.
Old 02-14-18, 08:30 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Originally Posted by JeremyLC
I have a bike setup with a dual sided fixed/fixed hub with a 15t on one side and an 18t on the other. I had to use a half-link in the chain, but I can use the same chain on both sides. (48t chainring). If you have long enough track ends, this just barely works.
Dangit. My inner accuracy-guy said "insert a probably." I said NO. I've got this one.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 02-14-18, 01:10 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
I want to try to end up in the 68-70 gear inch range. It almost seems cheaper to buy a new chain ring since I can replace that easier with no tools than a cog. With a replacement cog, I'm paying at least $15 for the part, plus install. I'm looking to keep the 16t cog on the back, but go to a 42t up front. Will FSA Gimondi do the trick?

Yes, the Gimondi will be fine. Go for it if it's cheap.

But I still think you should get the tools needed for the rear end. Break free of the dependence on a shop. The tool will cost a few bucks, but you'll never have to pay labor charges again. And you eliminate the hassle of bringing the wheel to the shop, and waiting, and risking them damaging something.

Do you have a chain tool? You'll probably (likely) need one for a 5 tooth change. That's almost a 16mm axle move.
Old 02-14-18, 01:29 PM
rEVOLVED

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
Yes, the Gimondi will be fine. Go for it if it's cheap.

But I still think you should get the tools needed for the rear end. Break free of the dependence on a shop. The tool will cost a few bucks, but you'll never have to pay labor charges again. And you eliminate the hassle of bringing the wheel to the shop, and waiting, and risking them damaging something.

Do you have a chain tool? You'll probably (likely) need one for a 5 tooth change. That's almost a 16mm axle move.
I have NO tools. Which sucks. Or no "bike" tools. Have the basic wrenches and sockets, but I'll need a spanner and chain whip, and whatever else is needed to fix chain length.
Old 02-14-18, 01:36 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
I have NO tools. Which sucks. Or no "bike" tools. Have the basic wrenches and sockets, but I'll need a spanner and chain whip, and whatever else is needed to fix chain length.
I don't know what your financial situation is. If you are handy with tools, nothing beats the freedom and satisfaction of DIY bike work. Not to mention the money and time saved. If you can afford them, buy the tools you need, good ones. You only pay once, unlike labor charges at a shop, which never end.

How much is the Gimondi ring? Black or silver. There is a reason I'm asking.
Old 02-14-18, 02:30 PM
rEVOLVED

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
I don't know what your financial situation is. If you are handy with tools, nothing beats the freedom and satisfaction of DIY bike work. Not to mention the money and time saved. If you can afford them, buy the tools you need, good ones. You only pay once, unlike labor charges at a shop, which never end.

How much is the Gimondi ring? Black or silver. There is a reason I'm asking.
I'd love to have the proper tools, but I mainly don't know what to get. I'm still confused on chain whips being 1/8 or 3/32, and I have a Park Took wrench that I thought was for cogs but is actually for bottom brackets? Confusing.

the Gimondi is silver and I think $25
Old 02-14-18, 02:47 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I'd love to have the proper tools, but I mainly don't know what to get. I'm still confused on chain whips being 1/8 or 3/32, and I have a Park Took wrench that I thought was for cogs but is actually for bottom brackets? Confusing.

Single speed chains are 1/8 FWIW. I used my regular chain whip without a thought but now that you ask I'd have assumed it was 3/32" but I don't truly know. I doubt that it matters much.

If it's a shimano freewheel that's almost a no-brainer, just get a "shimano style" tool. $6-$8 on Amazon.
Old 02-14-18, 02:57 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Does anybody use something other than a chain whip, like the Pedro's cog vice thing? Chain whips still seem like a stupid tool to me.
Old 02-14-18, 03:02 PM
phobus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 31 Posts

Which wrench do you have? It's engraved on the tool. HCW-17 is what you want for lockrings.

Chain whips come in both 1/8" and 3/32" varieties. A 3/32" whip is too small to fit on a 1/8" cog. If you're buying new, just get a 1/8" chain whip, it'll fit any cog. The Park model you want is SR-18. There's also a Sunlite one on Amazon for 12 bucks, it's probably just fine.
Old 02-14-18, 03:39 PM
rEVOLVED

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by phobus
Which wrench do you have? It's engraved on the tool. HCW-17 is what you want for lockrings.

Chain whips come in both 1/8" and 3/32" varieties. A 3/32" whip is too small to fit on a 1/8" cog. If you're buying new, just get a 1/8" chain whip, it'll fit any cog. The Park model you want is SR-18. There's also a Sunlite one on Amazon for 12 bucks, it's probably just fine.
I have the HCW-5. Looks like I'll grab an SR-18 or something similar and a HCW-17.
Old 02-14-18, 07:33 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by prooftheory
Does anybody use something other than a chain whip, like the Pedro's cog vice thing? Chain whips still seem like a stupid tool to me.
Rotafix method. I've never used a chain whip.
Old 02-14-18, 10:06 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
You don't need a chainwhip with the miche cog carrier unless you want to remove the carrier.
Old 02-15-18, 12:37 PM
UltraManDan

Bikes: 2015 Aventon Diamond

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You'll also need a chainring nut wrench in order to remove the current chainring bolts and install the new chainring.