Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Trek Checkpoint -- Any long-term experiences or reviews?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Trek Checkpoint -- Any long-term experiences or reviews?

Old 09-11-18, 10:14 AM
covpride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts
Just saw this review posted you can checkout. https://theradavist.com/2018/09/the-...all-the-boxes/
Old 09-11-18, 06:07 PM
side_FX

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Why can’t I find the CrossRip on the Trek website? The only one I see is the electric assisted model???
Old 09-11-18, 08:27 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by side_FX
Why can’t I find the CrossRip on the Trek website? The only one I see is the electric assisted model???
lol, look under commute or something

uhh it's missing!!!! wow

Edit 2: last known URL was w.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/hybrid-bikes/urban.../crossrip/
So Hybrid / Urban I think the Crossrip has been sold under everything from Trek, cyclocross then gravel, then adventure, then commute, then hybrid/urban.

Last edited by Metieval; 09-11-18 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-12-18, 01:06 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
The Checkpoint's BB drop is 76mm. That's less than 1/4" lower than the highest gravel bike BB's (@70mm).

85mm on the Diverge . . . wow. I wouldn't have believed it! (Is that a world record?)
I've got an 80's Schwinn Traveler that I've measured at about 85mm drop. Definitely has an "in the bike" feel to it.
Old 09-12-18, 01:31 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Since posting this originally, my LBS ordered and set up a Checkpoint for me to test ride. I didn't have a chance to ride it on gravel or sand, so the test ride wasn't as helpful as I would have hoped, but it confirmed that the apparently good geometry doesn't have any nasty flaws.

I placed my frameset order (with a complicated build sheet) today and I hope to be picking the bike up a week from Friday.
Old 09-17-18, 08:12 AM
MAGAIVER

Bikes: Kona Unit, Kona Kahuna, Kona Dew DL, Scott Big Jon, Trek Checkpoint ALR4, KHS Urban Soul, Haro Team Issue, GT Force Expert Carbon, Bernardi Quadra.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 25 Posts
Just got My Checkpoint ALR 4 last Week. So far I did 2 50km off-road rides a commuted to work with it a few times. I really like the bike and I'm quite surprised on how smooth it feels.
I usually ride a rigid 29er with wide rims and 2.4 tires off road, the Checkpoint on the stock 35c Kenda tires is not much rougher, I just have to be more carefull on rocky descents.

Last edited by MAGAIVER; 09-17-18 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-22-18, 02:01 PM
motionxxusxx

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just picked up my yellow alr5. Waited over a month for the build. When I got home I noticed the my brakes were The ultegra br 8070. According the the specs they should have been the 7070 105 group. I wonder if they ran out of parts at the factory and just gave me the set from the SL 6.

Last edited by motionxxusxx; 09-23-18 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-23-18, 07:58 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
Specs list full 105, sounds like you got lucky. It also looks like they raised the price by $100 or so bucks on all the models.
Old 09-24-18, 07:56 AM
Roger Ramjet

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crockett 5, Crockett 7, 2016 Specialized Crux E5 Sport, 2016 Salsa Warbird 105, 2017 Trek Boone 5, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2019 Trek Checkpoint SL5, 2021 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2023 Trek Checkpoint SL5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by softreset
Specs list full 105, sounds like you got lucky. It also looks like they raised the price by $100 or so bucks on all the models.
I looked, too, I thought it was $200 across the board on all the Checkpoints. Definitely $200 on the SL5 that I got. Feeling very lucky to get my 2019 for 15% off end-of-season.

Last edited by Roger Ramjet; 09-24-18 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-01-18, 09:54 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Well, now I can answer my original question. I've got about 100 miles on my new Checkpoint. I've ridden it on a variety of surfaces, but nothing too challenging at this point.

My initial impressions are mostly very positive. The frame geometry (adjusted to a 435mm chain stay) provides handling that is exactly what I was looking for. The frame is solid and consistent. Very controllable on a variety of surfaces. The weight is very good and the feature set definitely makes this a "Swiss Army Knife" of a bike. Extremely raceable and extremely versatile at the same time. It has the handling of my older Niner RLT9 (which I considered just about perfect) without the harshness of the aluminum frame. It feels lighter and more nimble than my Lynskey custom (today's stock Lynskey geometry).

Two reservations: (1) The BB90 bottom bracket means you're restricted from using the few modern sub-compact chainsets on the market. (Why won't somebody make a modern sub-compact with a BB90-freindly 24mm spindle? FSA . . . I'm talking to you!) and (2) I'm not completely sold on the Isospeed decoupler. With it, the seatpost flexes visibly with every pedal stroke -- and that's got to be inefficient, if only slightly. Certainly less efficient than a solid seatpost would be. You cannot discount the comfort advantages of this system, but I seriously wonder if the loss of efficiency is worth it.

The bottom line: I like the Checkpoint SL a lot. How could it be made perfect? Give it a T47 bottom bracket. And . . . I'm not so sure about the Isospeed. Make it adjustable (as on at least one of the other bikes)? I would probably prefer that the bike had a standard seat tube so that I could experiment with seatpost flexibility. As it is, Isospeed locks you into a springy ride. The Checkpoint SL is a keeper. I can see myself riding this bike for a very long time. It's just not quite perfect (in my eyes).

Last edited by FlashBazbo; 10-01-18 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-31-18, 09:15 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Follow up: Now, I'm approaching 400 miles on the Checkpoint and I've become more certain about the Isospeed decoupler . . . I don't like it. It is incredibly comfortable on rough surfaces. It DOES soak up the bumps! But on all surfaces, it introduces a flexy boing-boing-boing sensation. On smooth surfaces, the boing-boing-boing continues with every pedal stroke. If you are prone to motion sickness, stay away from the isospeed. My training partners say they can see the flex with every stroke. On seated climbs, it leaves nothing to anchor against -- making each stroke markedly less efficient than it should be. 100 miles into the Checkpoint experience, I was unsure. 400 miles in, the Isospeed becomes more annoying with every mile.

The moral of the story . . . although it can be extremely difficult to do so, be sure to test ride the bike you buy before you buy it. Test it for a ride long enough to highlight the bike's potential annoyances. I didn't (in part, because no bike has presented this big an annoyance in my lifetime) and I'm stuck.

Others may like the Isospeed decoupler. I don't. If you've never ridden one very far, be sure to try before you buy!

Last edited by FlashBazbo; 11-06-18 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-19-18, 11:33 AM
gooberboy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got an SL Frameset. Not a fan of 2x for this kind of bike. Too many chain drops and other problems in my experience when riding on New England single track!

Built it up 1x with a SRAM Force1 42-tooth crankset in the front, 11x42 XT cassette in the back and an Ultegra RX Di2 rear derailleur. Brakes are TRP Hylex RS with the Di2 shifter pod mod. Light Bicycle carbon rims on DT Swiss 240s hubs. 45mm WTB Riddler tires.

The bike looks pretty rad, and I love this parts mix, but I haven't ridden it yet. Will report back.

@FlashBazbo, may I ask how much you weigh and what size frame you're on? I'm on a 61cm @ 190 lbs. We'll see about the IsoSpeed flex...

Last edited by gooberboy; 11-19-18 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-19-18, 11:58 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Originally Posted by ****erboy
@FlashBazbo, may I ask how much you weigh and what size frame you're on? I'm on a 61cm @ 190 lbs. We'll see about the IsoSpeed flex...
I weigh 175 and I ride a 56 cm Checkpoint SL frameset. I will repeat that the Isospeed works wonders on extremely rough pavement. It probably does amazing stuff with washboard dirt roads. It's on everything else that the bounce is annoying. The smoother the dirt / gravel / pavement, the more the boing-boing-boing comes through.
Old 11-19-18, 12:09 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by ****erboy
I got an SL Frameset. Not a fan of 2x for this kind of bike. Too many chain drops and other problems in my experience when riding on New England single track!

Built it up 1x with a SRAM Force1 42-tooth crankset in the front, 11x42 XT cassette in the back and an Ultegra RX Di2 rear derailleur. Brakes are TRP Hylex RS with the Di2 shifter pod mod. Light Bicycle carbon rims on DT Swiss 240s hubs. 45mm WTB Riddler tires.

The bike looks pretty rad, and I love this parts mix, but I haven't ridden it yet. Will report back.

The RX can shift a cassette that big? I though max was 36t.
Old 11-21-18, 10:08 AM
MAGAIVER

Bikes: Kona Unit, Kona Kahuna, Kona Dew DL, Scott Big Jon, Trek Checkpoint ALR4, KHS Urban Soul, Haro Team Issue, GT Force Expert Carbon, Bernardi Quadra.

The Ultegra RX rear mech can do more then what Shimano states, I've seen a few people running it as 2x11 with an 11-40 cassette.
I'm using an RX rd on my ALR4 with an SLX 11-36 10 speed cassette and the Tiagra 4700 bits that came with the bike. I switched to the RX rear mech to minimize chainslap on the local rockier dirt roads.
Old 11-25-18, 07:05 PM
gooberboy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, gus6464, I forgot to mention that I added a WolfTooth Roadlink DM to the Ultegra RX derailleur. I tested the shifting without the Roadlink; it struggled to shift all the way to the 42 without it, even with the B Limit all the way in, so I'd say 40 is the max based on my experience.
Old 01-17-19, 05:57 PM
MAGAIVER

Has anyone seen the checkpoint ALR 4 with top tube bosses for a bolted on top tube bag? I just came across this picture on instagram and it seems like that frame has the TT bosses, my bike does not.

Old 01-18-19, 08:52 AM
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The new AL (not ALR) models seem to have those attachment points on the top tube, while the ALRs do not. I don't see a red version like that on the Trek website, however.
Old 01-18-19, 09:46 AM
MAGAIVER

I can read ALR4 when I zoom in on the picture, it must a stealthy update trek did do it, makes no sense having those bosses on the high end SL models and the entry leve AL models and not have it on the mid range ALR. Just kinda sucks that as an early adopter I did not get it. The ALR 5 model also got upgraded to Shimano 105 R7000 while the first models came with the older 105 5800.
Old 01-21-19, 05:44 AM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Lava
The new AL (not ALR) models seem to have those attachment points on the top tube, while the ALRs do not. I don't see a red version like that on the Trek website, however.
yup can confirm, I have the AL4 and it has the top tube mounts.
Old 01-28-19, 09:19 AM
MAGAIVER

On another note, on the instagIns oicture I posted a few posta above the dude says he's running 2.0 tires. I asked him more about it but he never replied. Has anyone tried fitting 29x2.0 tires?
Old 01-30-19, 12:42 PM
Adrianinkc

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought a SL6 about 3 weeks ago, love the bike.
Old 02-06-19, 04:48 PM
mb2112

Bikes: Road Bike, Mountain Bike, Commuter Bike, Gravel bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Been pretty happy with my SL5. Would like a bit smaller gearing for when I try to take it bikepacking/touring, but so far so good.

Last edited by mb2112; 02-14-19 at 03:06 PM.
Old 02-08-19, 02:02 AM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
It's strange that neither Trek nor Specialized are willing to offer both front and rear suspension on their gravel bikes where it would be more useful, reserving "dual" suspension for their road bikes.

Bikeradar was raving a couple of years ago about the specialized Roubaix being ideal for gravel and off road riding, even with clearance for no more than 32c tires. Then specialized introduced the diverge line with future shock only, no rear suspension and no rear rack mounts. Trek introduces checkpoint but with rear isospeed only and it's non adjustable.

It's almost like trek and specialized don't even want to sell their gravel bike lines? Are they that afraid of cannibalizing sales from their road lines?
Old 02-12-19, 02:42 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

radroad, I suspect somebody, somewhere told Trek and Specialized that a niche product like a gravel bike needs to be CHEAP. So their gravel bikes are built to a price point . . . a cheap price point. (They're also embarrassingly heavy.) Road bikes need to be lighter and they can charge more for a road bike . . . so they do. The road bikes get the features that add price to a bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.