Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Nasty Saddle Sore

Old 09-02-19, 06:21 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Nasty Saddle Sore

I developed my first ever saddle sore on our recent tour. I treated it the best I could while we were riding across part of Europe.
After getting home it seemed to get more tender. So last week I was in to the doc. A week of antibiotics but there is no improvement. I have been soaking in epsom salts daily but it is still very tender.
Been off the bike for 2 weeks.
I will be calling the doc again tomorrow morning.
Anyone here had a persistent saddle sore?
Old 09-02-19, 10:33 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Could be a fungal or viral issue. Check with a dermatologist for definitive diagnosis.

While those could lead to a bacterial infection if the skin breaks, antibiotics won't fix the root problem.

And if it is viral or fungal, there may be other issues involved. Stress can provoke outbreaks. I'm prone to psoriasis outbreaks on my hands and scalp, and psoriatic arthritis. It's aggravated by a longterm bout with Hashimoto's, an autoimmune disorder that primarily affects the thyroid (I had surgery last year to remove half my thyroid after a cancer diagnosis). Usually a strong topical steroid cream like Lidex helps, but longterm use can cause other problems -- defatting of the subcutaneous tissue, osteoporosis, etc.

A few years ago my mom had a sudden bout of swelling in her face that caused one eye to swell shut, and her entire forehead was grotesquely swollen. Turned out to be related to shingles She needed a long course of anti-virals for that specific problem. And she suffered side effects from the anti-viral that contributed to an existing problem with dementia. That was a really rough time. Fortunately she had a knowledgeable PA. Too many PAs and LPNs treat symptoms and don't look beyond the obvious.

So sometimes these outward signs of skin rashes may be symptomatic of something else.
Old 09-03-19, 01:32 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Update
Just got back from the doc. It was a boil that was caused by follicleitis. He lanced it after numbing. Ouch!!
But that is hopefully the end!
Old 09-03-19, 07:37 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
I’ve treated bike butt with athletes foot medicine with good results. First sign of a saddle sore I use some athletes foot cream and it will burn some seems to treat it well.
Old 09-10-19, 05:46 AM
Tandem Tom

Feeling great!!
Going out for a ride today. First one in 3 1/2 weeks.