Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

wacky heath issues that a e bike helped a bit.

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-20, 10:32 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts

my body is wacky and so far docs have no clue. daily it is severe food intolerance and some genetics. I am pressure sure the stomach problems that run in the family are a problem with carbs that have caused me life long heartburn. but I think most started when I had way to many antibiotics 25 years ago. since then I did not know but I started having problems with carbs draining my energy. with a lot of trial and error I found a lot of things. I found carbs did not give me any energy. no matter how may carbs in any for I ate my bike rides did not improve and my energy levels did not go up. they also cause me to gain weight and not because of calories.
I don't remember details anymore but I did an elimination diet and found carbs made me feel bad. I think I cut them out I don't remember for sure. but pretty suddenly my lungs were so tight for 2 weeks I could not leave the house the nI finally got to the docs and hand treatment the food problems became apparent. they were not so limited as they got to be later on. but Now I am on a pretty much protein only diet no seasonings or spices. bacon and eggs every morning a small amount of nuts or jerky for a snack some kind of meat like prosciutto or other type of meat that does not have any seasonings. and assorted cheeses. some jersey or pork rinds or cheese as a snack and some plain meat for dinner. I can somewhat handle a few veggies once or twice a week but that took me a hear of no veggies till I could do that. but for many years my energy levels have been really low. just enough energy to work and not much else left in the tank. I had given up riding maybe 5 years ago. I was using a couple electric scooters as transportation but they are limited . my energy levels had improved with the almost total elimination of carbs usually 15 grams or less a day (thats a whole 2.5 oz of cashews) but it was as much as years ago. but I finally found out a bout e bikes and wanted to ride more so I did test rides found. could spin without much effort and I was hooked. after a month or so I could put some effort into peddling at least sometimes. some days I can knock the assist level down a notch or two and still keep the 20 to 22 mph going.
Riding has been a big change for me. Last year with it was below maybe 40 I struggled to stay warm riding the bus. I had to do a lot of layers and I could still be cold. Riding I am always warm and I feel so much better then I have in years. I can handle a 25 mile ride on the weekends too. Though I have not lost much weight lately I am loosing bulk. I am loosing my butt and that is making my sit bones hurt. But thats about all that bothers me. Sometimes my arms ache they did for about am month even though I was pretty upright. But thats typical of my muscles. They get fatigued pretty fast my arms especially.
I don’t know how much energy I can expect from only protein and some fat but we will see.
Old 02-01-20, 02:23 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Ah yes, antibiotics. Your microbiota were probably killed. The fix would be a prebiotic combined with a probiotic. The probiotic is a pill, which you take with a rounded teaspoon of inulin dissolved in a cup of water, every morning when you get up, or about an hour before breakfast. Should start to make a noticeable difference in your food tolerance in a couple weeks. Yogurt helps, too.
For instance:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017FMGIGK
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F0R9B2 (inulin)
Old 02-01-20, 04:00 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
yes I got it going but that was 25 years ago. my bacteria is pretty messed up I think and nothing has fixed it over the years. no it has not helped my food intolerance at all. I think the only thing that will help is time and careful eating. I ended up giving it to my wife somewhat. she cant handle any grains or beans or such either after years of being around me. The only good thing I can ;loose weight with no work on my part. I can eat about 2500 calories a day and loose weight slowly without exercise.
after years I did find a demented herbal tincture that jump started my gut bacterial. but it was somehow stuck on protein only mostly. a=t first I could eat non carbs veggies but things changed over the years. my esophagus got really bad after a lifetime of heartburn it was like having the worst heartburn 24/7 for almost 3 months it destroyed my life for awhile there was no relief but for one of the only new foods I found I could have unsweetened almond milk it helped smooth it. but I had to go hard core protein only and my body got stuck in that mode. took me over a year before I could just handle veggies once a week. it is a extremely slow process to heal and who knows the end result? I know carbs are out of my life forever and I wish I could have cut them out 20 years ago my heath would have been much better. but I am a weak human. but after my esophagus going so band and over 7000 in medical bills for tests and no help at all but what I worked out it beat me into submission finally. I tried so many meds and either my body or my esophagus would not let me take them. I can't take any pain meds and the meds that could help my esophagus made it worse. so I am pretty much on my own.
I would like to try inulin but I have never had any luck taking anything new on a regular basis. I may feel fine for a month and then realize something is wrong and its the new thing. I am feeling better then I have in years and I hate to risk it.

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 02-01-20 at 10:18 PM.