Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Sticky Cables: best housing & lube?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-20, 04:41 PM
northcave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have an Airnimal folding bike. Since the bike folds the casing is in one section all the way from the drops bars to the brakes and gears. I've found that after a while the cable gets sticky in the housing and makes the brakes take 2-3 seconds to relax back to their original position. Also it makes shifting gears sometimes delayed.

Is there a casing / housing which is particularly good and what sort of lube should I use to prevent it from eventually getting sticky?
Old 02-13-20, 05:35 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,311 Posts
Cleanliness and maintenance are greater factors then brand of cable. As long as there's a tunnel that a cable runs in there will be capillary action. Going to one of the full length sealed systems don't know who currently offer these but Gore is perhaps the most well known, can help reduce the entry points on otherwise cable runs with frame stops. I tend to use fairly basic, smooth/redrawn, SS inner cables with Shimano or Bontrager casings. Andy
Old 02-13-20, 05:47 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Replace the cable. before installing generously grease the cable, and when I say generously I mean overdo it. More is more.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 02-14-20, 04:03 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If you just want to resuscitate these cables and not replace them immediately, try Boeshield T9 or Rock 'N Roll Absolute Dry. Both are mostly solvent with paraffin and/or PTFE ("Teflon"). The liquid wicks quickly through the cable, dissolves most gunk and makes them passable again for awhile. I delayed changing cruddy, oxidized cables on my errand bike for a year with that trick.
Old 02-14-20, 10:45 AM
northcave

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by San Rensho
Replace the cable. before installing generously grease the cable, and when I say generously I mean overdo it. More is more.
Thanks. The thing is that I only put these cables on and new housing about 3 months ago. I put loads of lube down the housing and I wonder if it was too much.
Old 02-14-20, 03:02 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by northcave
Thanks. The thing is that I only put these cables on and new housing about 3 months ago. I put loads of lube down the housing and I wonder if it was too much.
You can never have too much lube (thats what she said).
Sounds like there is something binding. Are there any visible kinks? Try moving the brake cable housing around as you are actuating the brake and see if in one position the brake operates correctly.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 02-14-20, 06:21 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
The lube just attracts dirt and dries out and then you have gum in there, hence the added friction you experience.

Best course of action is to use good housing cable (Shimano SP41/ optislick for example) and reduce number of entry points for dirt and water. full housing cable if possible. When you get problems, you just need to replace housing and cable. Those are wear items.
Old 02-14-20, 06:54 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Some chain lubes can make cables sticky. Park CL-1 will do that. It goes on fairly thin but within a day or two semi-dries leaving a tacky surface. Great for chains because it doesn't get flung off or washed off easily. Lousy for cables.

Try flushing the cables with WD-40 or the stuff I mentioned -- Boeshield T9 or Rock 'N Roll Absolute Dry. While Absolute Dry is a chain lube, it dries fairly cleanly leaving only a thin, slick film (presumably PTFE -- that's what the powder that settles out looks like). With the thin plastic straw type nozzle attachment for WD-40 or carefully dribbling the others down the cable, it'll wick through and should loosen up the cable inside the housing.

If that doesn't work, carefully pull out the cable, wipe them clean and dry with solvent, grease lightly (or use a light lube that doesn't dry tacky), and you should be able to reinsert the cables as long as the ends aren't frayed and are reasonably straight.
Old 02-15-20, 02:47 AM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
I have an Airnimal folding bike. Since the bike folds the casing is in one section all the way from the drops bars to the brakes and gears. I've found that after a while the cable gets sticky in the housing and makes the brakes take 2-3 seconds to relax back to their original position. Also it makes shifting gears sometimes delayed.

Is there a casing / housing which is particularly good and what sort of lube should I use to prevent it from eventually getting sticky?
The cable and housing could be gummed up and you would have to pull the cable and clean the cable and housing with solvent and Relube with the proper lube as stated above. What happened to me when a Derailleur was dragging, was one single strand of the cable frayed up inside the housing and was twisted around the cable rubbing against the housing causing it to drag. Either way you would have to pull the cable out of the housing and find out what is going on. Since you will have the cable out, they are relatively cheap, change the cable with a high quality cable, thoroughly flush the housing, I like CRC Red Brake Cleaner with a straw, and Relube both with one of the products recommended above that won't gum up. When you are finished use one of those little crimp lugs on the cable end to keep it from fraying to at least keep it from sticking your fingers. Thanks,mjac.
Old 02-15-20, 03:18 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Imo, just get ordinary pre lubed sp41 shimano housing and either shimano stainless or optislick wires, and some sealed shimano ferrules (Y6Z298010). Possibly get a set with all the bits and bobs, its not that expensive.
Old 02-15-20, 07:05 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,056 Posts
The cables aren't getting kinked when the bike is folded?
Old 02-15-20, 07:12 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
The cables aren't getting kinked when the bike is folded?
Yes. Does the cable housing straighten up when the bike is unfolded? It's likely that the housing isn't good for repeated bending.

I don't see how excess lube could cause this dragging cable in 3 months.
Old 02-15-20, 08:51 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Imo, just get ordinary pre lubed sp41 shimano housing and either shimano stainless or optislick wires, and some sealed shimano ferrules (Y6Z298010). Possibly get a set with all the bits and bobs, its not that expensive.
I think you are right. The time and material to recondition a flawed cable and housing might not be worth it, but the new type cable housings being so stiff, how does that work with a folding bike?...Thanks,mjac
Old 02-15-20, 09:10 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked 2,984 Times in 1,498 Posts
per Shimano regarding brake cables/

tried a quality inner brake cable? https://www.jensonusa.com/Jagwire-Pr...iABEgJg3PD_BwE "INSTALLATION Installation of the brake cable „Installation of the brake cable WARNING Do not apply grease or other lubricants to the inner cable. Be sure to wipe off with a cloth any grease that adheres to the inner cable fixing section when passing the inner cable through the outer casing. If grease adheres to the fixing section, the holding force of the brake cable will not be sufficient causing the brake cable to slacken, a loss of brake control and possibly severe injury" https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-RACBR01-02-ENG.pdf
Old 02-16-20, 02:54 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac
I think you are right. The time and material to recondition a flawed cable and housing might not be worth it, but the new type cable housings being so stiff, how does that work with a folding bike?...Thanks,mjac
Cant say for sure, but older spiral wound housing is not suitable for indexed gears.
Old 02-16-20, 03:44 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Cant say for sure, but older spiral wound housing is not suitable for indexed gears.
You are right,but what I am saying is that how do you prevent the newer index compatible housing from kinking on a bike that folds 180 degrees. I am having a hard time visualizing this. Do they use a special housing? I don't know...Thanks,mjac