Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

So can a 300 lb guy ride only an aluminum bike?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

So can a 300 lb guy ride only an aluminum bike?

Old 02-17-20, 07:56 PM
starkmojo
Old and in the way.

Bikes: Jamis Renegade and Kona Jake

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
So I found that the Giant toughroad sl gx has a weight limit of 330lbs or 350lbs touring? I dont know why the difference maybe they assume you are riding slower when touring. But its worth a look. Not exactly a "fast" bike but maybe a "faster than any other bike that will haul my fat ass" bike (me ~300 lbs)
Old 02-17-20, 09:23 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
The majority of bikes in Cambodia are second hand ladies bikes from Japan. These are sold for around US$50. It seems most of them are steel, because of the thinness of the tubes. In Cambodia, people use bicycles as a means of transport. They ride quite slowly. Speed is not important. Some people do buy more expensive mountain bikes or road bikes. Only a small proportion of people use bicycles for exercise.
Old 02-17-20, 09:32 PM
alo

I just ran a magnet over my few bikes in Australia. The more expensive looking bikes are aluminum, and the less expensive looking bikes are steel. With one, the main frame is aluminum, and parts making up the rear suspension are steel. The internal parts of the front suspension steel on all of the bikes. With some, the outer parts of the front suspension are aluminum, and with some, they are steel.
Old 02-17-20, 09:48 PM
alo

Originally Posted by tclong03
Can a 300lb guy just a ride a aluminum bike for gravel all the time? Or is that asking to much for aluminum?
Yes.

I am almost that heavy. I also like going off the beaten track.

I don't ride bikes with tires thinner than mountain bike tires. With thin tires on rough roads, you can hit a rock and puncture a tube. You can also kink the edge of the rim.

With mountain bikes, if you ride on rough tracks, after some time expect to break spokes in the back wheel. It may take a year of two.

Fat bikes with 4 inch wide tires seem to be the toughest. The tires spread the weight out more. I have not broken a spoke with a fat bike yet. It may happen one day.

Other things can happen also. For example, you can bend seat posts on cheap bikes with thin seat posts. I am tall, and have seats high. Get a bike with a large diameter seat post. I have not bent a seat post on a bike with a large diameter seat post.