Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Domane in the Wild!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New Domane in the Wild!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-16, 01:57 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
New Domane in the Wild!

No pics, but a guy in our bike club showed up for our ride tonight with his brand spanking new Trek Domane with isocoupler stuff and Ultegra DI2 groupset.

The thing that was very noticeable is that when he was going hard, his saddle was moving up and down as that rear separated seat post did it's thing. By comparison, other riders saddles appeared to just stay put.

His testimony is that it really makes a difference in removing back pain on long rides. I believe it!
Old 06-28-16, 04:43 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Sounds kinda like a $5000 Thudbuster....
Old 06-28-16, 08:00 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,981 Times in 1,775 Posts
Wonder what that does to your pedalling motion?
Old 06-28-16, 08:43 AM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Wonder what that does to your pedalling motion?
Nothing, provided you know how to pedal properly.
Old 06-28-16, 10:49 AM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
We've got a few of the new SLRs at the shop and it's definitely a fun bike to ride. The new Domane SLs also look great, I think they'll be real popular.

Old 06-28-16, 11:12 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by softreset
We've got a few of the new SLRs at the shop and it's definitely a fun bike to ride. The new Domane SLs also look great, I think they'll be real popular.

Nice Ad, but I won't be in California for another 3-5 years probably...

...Also, Pretty Bike....

...Also, ugly pedals.
Old 06-28-16, 11:51 AM
softreset

Yeah, seemed overkill to strap on my pedals and shoes for a 5 minute ride in the parking lot after work.
Old 06-28-16, 01:29 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Originally Posted by alexdi
I'm convinced the best solve for this is the Canyon/Ergon split post.

Comparisons here:

Best soft-riding rigid seatposts for road, dirt, and gravel - BikeRadar USA

Chinese knockoffs are around $40. You don't need a fancy frame.
Nice, BUT you can put a rider+gear combo of over 220 pounds on any Domane. Not that seatpost though.

What I'm saying is that I'm too fat. Was looking at suspension seatpost stuff for my gravel bike project.
Old 06-28-16, 02:18 PM
Gladius

Bikes: '86 Centurion Elite RS '17 Trek Domane SLR6 Disc '16 Trek Boone 5 '15 Trek Fuel EX 9 '20 Trek Checkpoint SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Saw one of these at Ride the Rockies two weeks ago. Owner said he liked it.

The seatpost on my 2014 Domane sways as well, according to those riding behind me. I can't feel it moving. I suppose it's doing it's job. I don't have to pedal any differently.
I'm not sold on the steerer tube damping, though, on the new one. Not sure I want anything taking away steering feel.
Old 06-28-16, 02:32 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Originally Posted by Gladius
Saw one of these at Ride the Rockies two weeks ago. Owner said he liked it.

The seatpost on my 2014 Domane sways as well, according to those riding behind me. I can't feel it moving. I suppose it's doing it's job. I don't have to pedal any differently.
I'm not sold on the steerer tube damping, though, on the new one. Not sure I want anything taking away steering feel.
I am also super happy with my "dumb" Domane. I don't mind the front end at all (carbon bars plus tubless does help). But people griped that the front end was too stiff because the rear was too compliant, so they gave the people what they wanted. I hope they are happy. I'll ride mine until the inevitable carbon asplosion.
Old 06-28-16, 02:40 PM
softreset

Steering is unchanged. The flex in the top stem area is significantly less than what the seat post does. If it anything it feels more like a loose headset (in terms of play/movement).

I haven't taken tried to whip the bike around on crappy surfaces but on parking lot chip seal I felt no more/less connected to the road versus the previous iteration.
Old 06-28-16, 02:56 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by 12strings
No pics, but a guy in our bike club showed up for our ride tonight with his brand spanking new Trek Domane with isocoupler stuff and Ultegra DI2 groupset.

The thing that was very noticeable is that when he was going hard, his saddle was moving up and down as that rear separated seat post did it's thing. By comparison, other riders saddles appeared to just stay put.

His testimony is that it really makes a difference in removing back pain on long rides. I believe it!
I very briefly test rode one of these the other day (the $5,000 version), and to be clear the amount of movement you get in the back is actually adjustable with an allen wrench. You can adjust it to not move it all, or to move quite a bit. Just fyi for anyone thinking they wouldn't want to risk it.

They've definitely kept the handling on the slower (not twitchy) side in my opinion. Nothing "wrong" with that except it's not my personal preference for a bike that expensive.
Old 06-28-16, 03:03 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Steering is unchanged. The flex in the top stem area is significantly less than what the seat post does. If it anything it feels more like a loose headset (in terms of play/movement).

I haven't taken tried to whip the bike around on crappy surfaces but on parking lot chip seal I felt no more/less connected to the road versus the previous iteration.
I'm sure they did a fine job. Trek actually works their tails off on the engineering side and do a lot of testing. I just didn't find it necessary. But I'm obviously in the minority because the number one complaint I saw about the original was the stiff front end. I'm happy to be wrong.
Old 06-28-16, 03:28 PM
side_FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
I very briefly test rode one of these the other day (the $5,000 version), and to be clear the amount of movement you get in the back is actually adjustable with an allen wrench. You can adjust it to not move it all, or to move quite a bit. Just fyi for anyone thinking they wouldn't want to risk it.

They've definitely kept the handling on the slower (not twitchy) side in my opinion. Nothing "wrong" with that except it's not my personal preference for a bike that expensive.
I don't know. It's kind of like a backup cam for a car. Is it nice to have? I guess. Do I really need it? Probably not. I'd rather spend a bit less and get a comparable bike without the adjustable backend.
Old 06-28-16, 04:46 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts

OK, I HATE blackity black black bikes, but man, that thing is suuhweeet! Would totally keep those tester pedals.