Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campagnolo Daytona 9 sp brifters for Shimergo/Shimagnolo

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-13-20, 09:06 AM
Nikola

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've found some cheap Campagnolo Daytona 9 speed brifters, and I want to use pair them with a Shimano rear derraileur with Shimano 9 speed cassette. Has anyone of you some experience with these shifters? I don't know the exact model year, and I don't know the exact cable pull (either 3,2 mm or 3,0 mm). I don't know if I use the alternate cable clamping at the derraileur (Hubbub re-route) will I get good shifting? I didn't buy the brifters yet.
Old 02-13-20, 09:58 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I've been using Shimergo (or Campagnono? - the front 2/3 is Campa, after all!) for nearly 20 years. I've had success using Campy shifters and Campy derailers.

I tried the Hubbub cable clamping, and it sorta kinda worked. Ditto the Problem Solvers travel agent pulley. They're both finicky IME. Sometimes they shifted flawlessly, sometimes it depends on whether you're shifting up or down, sometimes you just have to trim the derailer adjustment for which front ring you use the most and put up with the mis-adjusted derailer noise in the other rings. But in my experience, nothing beats a matching Campy derailer.
Old 02-13-20, 10:04 AM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Nikola
I've found some cheap Campagnolo Daytona 9 speed brifters, and I want to use pair them with a Shimano rear derraileur with Shimano 9 speed cassette. Has anyone of you some experience with these shifters? I don't know the exact model year, and I don't know the exact cable pull (either 3,2 mm or 3,0 mm). I don't know if I use the alternate cable clamping at the derraileur (Hubbub re-route) will I get good shifting? I didn't buy the brifters yet.
Daytona was only a 10 speed group.

In 2000 Campagnolo progressed from 9 to 10 cogs.

Veloce and below remained 9 speed.

Daytona was the lowest level 10 speed group replacing Athena between Veloce and Chorus.

It was renamed Centaur in 2002 for trademark infringement reasons.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 02-13-20 at 10:09 AM.
Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 02-13-20, 10:53 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
This is nearly the same drivetrain that I run on my riding bikes. All have Canpy Ergo 9spd "brifter" levers, Shimano 9spd cassette, SRAM chains and either Campy or Shimano rear ders. I use which ever JTek Shiftmate adaptor that is called for and the shifting has been fine. On all 6 bikes. For 30k+ miles collectively. Here's a poor image of my Sunday club bike. Shimano 9spd MtB der, 11/32 9spd cassette (mounted on Phil hub), the Shiftmate and not shown the Campy brifter. I have quite a collection of pointed hood 8 and 9spd levers and have (exchanged out a number of 8 cog index gears for a 9 cog one, got any 9 speeds you want to sell?) Andy

Old 02-13-20, 04:03 PM
Nikola

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Daytona was only a 10 speed group..
I'm pretty sure that I've counted 8 clicks on the right shifter, so it's 9 speed. I'll go and check agaim, in case I counted wrong. 10 speed Campy shifters have the same cable pull as Shimano 8 speed and can be paired with 9 speed Shimano cassette.
Old 02-13-20, 04:26 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Nikola
I'm pretty sure that I've counted 8 clicks on the right shifter, so it's 9 speed. I'll go and check agaim, in case I counted wrong. 10 speed Campy shifters have the same cable pull as Shimano 8 speed and can be paired with 9 speed Shimano cassette.
How can you check again if you have not yet bought these shifters?
Old 02-13-20, 09:59 PM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Daytona was only a 10 speed group.

In 2000 Campagnolo progressed from 9 to 10 cogs.

Veloce and below remained 9 speed.

Daytona was the lowest level 10 speed group replacing Athena between Veloce and Chorus.

It was renamed Centaur in 2002 for trademark infringement reasons.

I'm currently running Daytona 9 speed. It's a thing.
Old 02-13-20, 11:11 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by growlerdinky
I'm currently running Daytona 9 speed. It's a thing.
Ah.

Apparently, 10 speed didn't come until the 2001 model year, so Record/Chorus/Daytona/Veloce/Mirage were all 9 speed.

That was a while ago.
Old 02-14-20, 02:02 AM
Nikola

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
How can you check again if you have not yet bought these shifters?
A guy is selling them second hand, I'll go again to his place and check again.
Old 02-14-20, 02:08 AM
Nikola

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
This is nearly the same drivetrain that I run on my riding bikes. All have Canpy Ergo 9spd "brifter" levers, Shimano 9spd cassette, SRAM chains and either Campy or Shimano rear ders. I use which ever JTek Shiftmate adaptor that is called for and the shifting has been fine. On all 6 bikes. For 30k+ miles collectively. Here's a poor image of my Sunday club bike. Shimano 9spd MtB der, 11/32 9spd cassette (mounted on Phil hub), the Shiftmate and not shown the Campy brifter. I have quite a collection of pointed hood 8 and 9spd levers and have (exchanged out a number of 8 cog index gears for a 9 cog one, got any 9 speeds you want to sell?) Andy
Andy, I want to make shimergo without any cable pul convertor/adapter such as Jtek Shiftmate. I want to use the alternate cable clamping https://www.sheldonbrown.com/drivetr...html#alternate like Hubbub. But I am not sure if Daytona 9 speed will pair with Shimano rear derraileur and Shimano 9 speed cassette.
Old 02-14-20, 09:26 AM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
I run 9spd Veloce shifters which are essentially the same as Daytona (or Centaur as they were renamed) with a Shimano 9spd cassette. I made it work but it's not easy.
I used an 11spd shimano derailleur (or Tiagra 4700) which is very close in geometry to a Campagnolo derailleur but it still shifts slightly less per cable shift.
So, I then took apart the shifter and using a dremel I carved a groove around the cable-wrap pulley (maked E in the pic) which reduced the pull per shift and it now has perfect shifts. How deep was the groove? I don't remember but not too much. The hard part is re-assembling the shifter. And if you do this, replace the G springs (B in the pic) while you've got it open.

Last edited by bluehills3149; 02-14-20 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-14-20, 09:44 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Nikola- I hope you have better luck then I and a few others have had with only cable attachment location methods. The big issue is the tiny changes to the cable/parallelogram movement relationship as the parallelogram swings through it's arc. It's my understanding that a well designed system has taken this into account for only the cable anchoring spot. Change that point and the "correction factor" also changes but the levers are still under the impression that the OEM "correction factor" is what the manufacturer intended, not this new one (because of the changed cable attachment point).

Of course the rest of the drivetrain will contribute to the window of good working indexing. Wear, especially in the neglected guide pulley and to a lesser degree the famous chain, is a big and changing over the miles factor. How much open chain links are there between the guide pulley and any of the cogs. How much wear is there in the lever pivot and indexing mechanism. And cable friction. The wider the window of good indexing the more an "almost but not quite" mod will tend to work. Andy
Old 02-14-20, 09:52 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

In bluehills3149 image "E" is what Campy made various versions of to indexing cog counts and/or cable pull ratios. This is what I exchanged in the 8 speed levers to make them into 9 speed ones. Still Campy cable pull spec though. Part "C", the spring carrier, is well known as being crack prone (note the dark line running across the ring just above the tower/spring post, a common location of a crack) and has seen a few versions too. Nice image BTW. Andy
Old 02-14-20, 12:58 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Ahh. so many complex and expensive solutions proposed here. Anyway, I've run Campy 9-speed levers (second gen.) with Shimano 9-speed cassettes for many years. Flawless shifting: as good as any current generation shifters, regardless of the maker, price or number of 'speeds'. I will be running this exact setup this afternoon, and I expect perfect drivetrain performance - as well as my latest Campagnolo and Shimano gear.

Flawless shifting assumes that the G-springs on the older units are not worn out, the spring carrier is not broken, and of course the cables and housings are new. For older shifters like these, I'd assume that the springs and carriers are kaput, and need a complete refresh.

The most reliable solution is to mate your Campy shifters with an older (indexing from years 1992-2000) Campy rear derailleur. Mirage to Record - doesn't matter, as long as it is the right spec.

The newer levers, mated with the previous generation derailleurs produce the exact cable pull for Shimano 9-speed cog spacing.

A suitable Campy rear derailleur should run about $50 off of Fleabay.

This hack also works for Campy 10-speed shifters running a Shimano 10-speed cassette. Running this solution on a few bikes as well.