Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shims on this folding stem?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-20, 12:06 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts

I ordered a folding stem from Chiner and they sent me the wrong slider, It was 1.1-1.2 mm too small. I filed a dispute hoping they would send the right part, but 15 minutes after I submitted it, Aliexpress ruled in my favor and gave me a refund and said keep it. Huh. I would have rather had them send me the right top piece. It's all aluminum, by the way.

I bought a seatpost shim in the closest size, but it wasn't enough. I added a layer of adhesive alumiunm foil, but still not enough. After reading the accompanying post about the Rad City seat post cracking off, I added soda pop aluminum, which did the trick. Snug as a bug. And since this isn't carrying the full weight of a rider, I also won't raise it much more than waht's shown in the picture. I think it will work.

I'll defer to experts though. Folding bikes have their foibles. I don't want to be become infamous as the guy who snapped off his handlebars.

Old 02-15-20, 10:41 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I have shimmed stems on non-folding bikes by as much as a tin can's worth. I consistently shim seatposts wit aluminun cans and even slices of plastic water bottles. I weigh in the neighborhood of 190 lbs