Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Any 'Older' Mountain Bikers Here?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-16, 01:57 PM
LHawes

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad SLR1, Giant Trance 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not talking to you youngin' 50 year olds but someone like us 63 year olds. It's been really intriguing to me but am wondering if I'm just being nuts and am asking for some serious injury or if it's really feasible.

I'm in reasonable shape, have some great, easy to intermediate nearby trails and can't shake the urge. Well actually 2 urges - the one to get a nice full suspension MB (looking at the Giant Anthem) and the other to save $2000 - $3000 on something that might kill me or I'll lose interest in a couple months.

Need some encouragement or common sense? Thanks

Here's a video of the type of trail nearby.

Old 09-19-16, 02:31 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I think I am qualified to comment at 58 years old and Mtb riding for about a year. Oh, and I own an Anthem X 29 (I love that bike) for fast trail rides and ride a cheap Walmart Mtb when I go with my slower friends.

I would get the Giant and never look back. Don't waste your money and injury riding a cheap bike.
Old 09-19-16, 07:19 PM
LHawes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I see you are from New York. Do you trail ride or cross country ride? I think I would prefer cross country as it's not so technical but hard to say.

I'm sure you're right about getting a nicer bike for safer riding and have been trying to find something on craigslist but having no luck at all. I see the new Anthem 2 is going for $2575 and the Anthem 3 for $2000. Of course it's only another $600 but it might be worth it? But I'm really green so am hesitant to spend a bunch on a sport I might not stick with.

Maybe I'll cross post this to the MB forum for a little more feedback.
Old 09-19-16, 07:29 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by LHawes
I'm not talking to you youngin' 50 year olds but someone like us 63 year olds.
Was in it for the early years of NORBA racing back when, not anymore.

-Bandera
Old 09-19-16, 09:43 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Enjoy single track and steep hills and some curvy and rocky trails - near 80yo. Nothing technical, though.
Old 09-19-16, 09:47 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8275 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
I'm 62 and still ride mtb sometimes, but mostly ride road. I have been thinking about buying a new mtb but can't decide on what to get. I rode off-road motorcycles for 10 years so I have some knowledge to fall back on, but these days I tend to take it easy on the technical stuff.

The right trail with some friends is a total blast. Snow riding on the right kind of snow is awesome. Like a road bike, a long climb can be very satisfying.
If you get one, get some lessons and learn handling skills from somebody.

Here is my bike at a local trailhead.

Last edited by big john; 09-19-16 at 09:59 PM.
Old 09-19-16, 09:47 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
At age 66, I enjoy multitrack and non-technical single track mountain biking on my Schwinn (see signature). I have never had the coordination needed for fast downhill or technical stuff.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-19-16, 10:19 PM
LHawes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
Enjoy single track and steep hills and some curvy and rocky trails - near 80yo. Nothing technical, though.
Thanks for the post. Near 80? That is so amazing and inspiring. I am also seeing bicycling as a life long passion and will probably get a road bike and a MTB to go with my ToughRoad and they will last me the rest of my life.

I'm looking at the 2017 Giant Anthem 2 and bet I pick one up this week unless a Craigslist miracle happens.

Thanks again for the post.
Old 09-19-16, 10:21 PM
LHawes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I'm 62 and still ride mtb sometimes, but mostly ride road. I have been thinking about buying a new mtb but can't decide on what to get. I rode off-road motorcycles for 10 years so I have some knowledge to fall back on, but these days I tend to take it easy on the technical stuff.

The right trail with some friends is a total blast. Snow riding on the right kind of snow is awesome. Like a road bike, a long climb can be very satisfying.
If you get one, get some lessons and learn handling skills from somebody.
I've been shopping pretty heavily lately and have settled on a cross country bike versus a trail bike for the riding I intend to do. I've read the Anthem is a great XC bike with good trial skills as well and will probably go that direction.
Old 09-19-16, 10:25 PM
LHawes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
At age 66, I enjoy multitrack and non-technical single track mountain biking on my Schwinn (see signature). I have never had the coordination needed for fast downhill or technical stuff.
Hey John,

I live right up the road in Vista and will probably ride Lake Calavera.

hose are some classic bikes you have there and the Schwinn looks like it'd be a challenge but absolutely more power to you and thanks for the reply.
Old 09-19-16, 10:59 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
62. Not anymore. Too easy to break these old bones.
Old 09-20-16, 04:38 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I'm 59 and ride the single tracks with some ability. You really shouldnt worry much about injury. Ride at the speed you feel comfortable. Physically, it is more demanding than road riding in terms of intensity.

Here is a pic of the main and most fun bike, an '84 Univega Alpina Uno. The geometry and handling fits me perfectly for my body size and syle. It weighs 27lbs and decent low gearing. It's a blast to ride.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-20-16, 06:16 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
65 here. I ride mostly 'road' these days, but first love has always been mtb. I'm no good with really technical stuff, but always love getting out there when the opportunity presents.

Fortunately, in the area where I spend the summers I have access to some singletrack out the front door and/or a short ride away. Also a very good bike park about an hour away.

I think about a new bike (mtb) sometimes, but my old Blue Beast still serves well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Rainier 1.jpg (97.2 KB, 285 views)
Old 09-20-16, 07:24 AM
big john

I've been shopping pretty heavily lately and have settled on a cross country bike versus a trail bike for the riding I intend to do. I've read the Anthem is a great XC bike with good trial skills as well and will probably go that direction.
I'm thinking XC as well. A 5 inch travel bike would be great on the rough descents but then I'd have to lug it up the climbs. Something like the Anthem or other 100mm bike will be enough for the type of riding I do now.

I even considered a (gasp) hardtail but I remember how much better I felt when I got my first full-suspension rig in 1998. The KHS in the pic above is about 33 pounds and it was very inexpensive.
Old 09-20-16, 08:09 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,831 Times in 2,229 Posts
65yo, the type of trail determines my participation. Steep = no go. Besides that, you should learn to hop over low obstacles, much easier with clipless pedals. The secret is 'know your trail'.

The roads in my growing area are definitley more crowded with distracted drivers.
Old 09-20-16, 09:39 AM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 57 Posts
Only 61. Ridden MTBs since 1986. I live in the mountains in the heart of mountain bike riding country. A lot of the trails around here are built for world class mountain bikers. I probably never could have done them. Now I ride mostly intermediate to single black diamond (advanced) runs. I ride a Specialized FSR Stumpjumper. My biggest strength is uphill and I can out ride most other riders on the way up. Down: it's highly variable. I am a bit too cautious to be a great downhiller - but I survive!

It is great to be out on the trails and I strongly urge you to go ahead and get the Anthem. Keeps you young at heart. Ride what you feel comfortable riding. Walk when you feel it is prudent and don't feel defeated - everybody has their limits. Learn the skills and enjoy it!
Old 09-20-16, 10:20 AM
Jseis 
Other Worldly Member

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, 1981 Centurion Super LeMans, 2010 Gary Fisher Wahoo, 2003 Colnago Dream Lux, 2014 Giant Defy 1, 2015 Framed Bikes Minnesota 3.0, several older family Treks

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 53 Posts
Nearing 62. My fav off-road machina.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (22.3 KB, 270 views)
Old 09-20-16, 02:39 PM
LHawes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up picking up last year's 2016 Trance 2 at my LBS for $2199. Super excited and take delivery tomorrow.

I tried a medium which all the charts showed my 5' - 10" height should have been on but the LBS tech said it looked small and I was having a hard time breaking away from the chart but the large just felt much more relaxed so I got a large. Honestly it's the first time I could really discern the difference in the fit of a bike since I almost always fit into the medium range. If you don't hear back from me things did not go well on my first ride. Otherwise i'll report back in.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us...2/22206/84045/

Last edited by LHawes; 09-20-16 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-20-16, 04:12 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
I'm 69 and ride mtb and road. Until a couple of years ago I was riding downhill trail centres plus XC, but following a couple of torn ligaments and a ruptured quadricep tendon (not a bike accident) requiring an operation I realised I don't fall or recover as well as I used to and gave up the downhill trails, and now just ride XC on a hardtail.

I still enjoy it but take less risks than I used to in order to keep on enjoying it for a long time.
Old 09-20-16, 06:10 PM
Zukoda

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At 56 I spend half my time on an old Cannondale KillerV900 (like 20 years old) riding the easy trails around the lake here. I'd climb some hills and go through woods and stuff if they were available. Go slow, get a feel for it, and enjoy...
Old 09-20-16, 10:19 PM
big john

I ended up picking up last year's 2016 Trance 2 at my LBS for $2199. Super excited and take delivery tomorrow.

I tried a medium which all the charts showed my 5' - 10" height should have been on but the LBS tech said it looked small and I was having a hard time breaking away from the chart but the large just felt much more relaxed so I got a large. Honestly it's the first time I could really discern the difference in the fit of a bike since I almost always fit into the medium range. If you don't hear back from me things did not go well on my first ride. Otherwise i'll report back in.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us...2/22206/84045/
A 5.5 inch travel bike is definitely not XC! It'll be great on the rough stuff. Please post some ride pics.
Old 09-20-16, 11:01 PM
LHawes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A 5.5 inch travel bike is definitely not XC! It'll be great on the rough stuff. Please post some ride pics.
Yeah John I decided on the Trance 2 for no discernable reason other than I liked it and the price/features seemed like a value.

I have very little real off-road experience so I will learn a lot about my purchase and think I will adapt no matter its strengths and weaknesses but must admit I am a bit nervous about the choice being the correct one but since I have no previous experience to compare it to it will begin my MTB learning curve.

I also don't plan to go through many MTB's to find the 'perfect' bike for the perfect riding conditions so just having fun will be a top priority for sure.

It's been raining and the bike's due in tomorrow at my LBS (it's getting transferred from another store where I rode it) and I'll take a short demo ride on some easy trails to see how it performs. Again a lot to learn - starting now.
Old 09-21-16, 07:20 AM
big john

It should be a great ride, comfortable and forgiving. A friend who is now 68 got a Trance a few years ago as his first bike after borrowing bikes for a couple months. He still loves it. Enjoy!
Old 09-21-16, 08:33 AM
LHawes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It should be a great ride, comfortable and forgiving. A friend who is now 68 got a Trance a few years ago as his first bike after borrowing bikes for a couple months. He still loves it. Enjoy!
NICE - Looking forward to it.
Old 09-21-16, 11:54 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I'm off and on about mountain biking but mostly off just because I do so much road cycling. I crashed my mountain bike back in May and broke my collarbone so that shows I really don't have the skill level I need . . . but that won't stop me. Maybe if I rode the mountain bike more often my skill level would improve!

My mountain bike is a hard-tail GT Zaskar LE from '98 approx. When I wore out all the Shimano parts I replaced them with SRAM (except the front derailluer which was still good) but otherwise just cables and tires as needed. Works well even though it has the (now almost obsolete) 26" wheels/tires.

I'm 66 and I don't think I'm too old for mountain biking yet!

Rick / OCRR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.