Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

NBD 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Old 10-20-19, 12:48 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts

Finally got the bike and the add ons I wanted and was able to take my first ride this AM - actually second ride but first with the new seat. So far I am pretty impressed with it.

After the first ride, my but was sore as the original seat just had the elastomer bumpers. The Brooks is very comfortable considering its brand new. Was carrying a few tools to make adjustments during the ride and that's going to take a few more to get it dialed in. While I haven't been a fan of grip shifters, these worked very well and with my arthritis in my hands the grip may actually be better for me.

The gearing is pretty awesome. 2-7 are pretty close together so I can make nice incremental jumps up and 1 with its big jump really is nice on the hills. Why I initially wanted the Fat tire with the disc brakes,, I really wanted a steel frame. I'm guessing a lot this has to do with the bike shop assembly. I think it matters.

Overall the bike is super tight, no creaking, clanging etc, even the freewheel is quiet. Im pretty impressed and happy with it.

Ill report back as the miles rack up.

2020 (I think, it could be a 2019 not that it matters as they're identical) Electra 7D

This is a little different than my last one, but I really like the head badge.

The 'ass hammock "and saddle bag (Brooks B135 and Brooks Challenge) were more expensive than my wife's bike but its comfortable and I love the look.

I found this phone holder that allows the phone to remain in its case. iPhone 7+ with an Otterbox Commuter case.

I just liked the look and they matched the bell /

And my truck mount. There is a 2nd one for my wife bike as well.

Last edited by JehD; 10-20-19 at 03:08 PM.
Likes For JehD:
Old 10-20-19, 03:32 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Very nice. Congrats.

9x19 schrader valve cap?
Old 10-20-19, 05:41 PM
JehD

Originally Posted by FiftySix
Very nice. Congrats.

9x19 schrader valve cap?

S&W .40 It matches the bell.
Likes For JehD:
Old 10-20-19, 05:58 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,012 Posts
Congrats on finally getting your 7d . I sometimes wish my Matte Bark C1 was a 7D. Same gearing as the Fat Tire Lux .
I’ve got a Two Speed kick back wheelset on order . I hope I can change the gearing around to give me a better climbing gear.
Old 10-20-19, 06:02 PM
JehD

Originally Posted by kirby999
Congrats on finally getting your 7d . I sometimes wish my Matte Bark C1 was a 7D. Same gearing as the Fat Tire Lux .
I’ve got a Two Speed kick back wheelset on order . I hope I can change the gearing around to give me a better climbing gear.

I really did consider getting a replacement hub for my Cruiser 1 but by the time I figured hub, labor and some decent brakes I was most of the way if not more to a new bike.
Old 10-20-19, 06:09 PM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by JehD
I really did consider getting a replacement hub for my Cruiser 1 but by the time I figured hub, labor and some decent brakes I was most of the way if not more to a new bike.
I was able to pickup a set of custom aluminum wheels with a Sturmey Archer Kickback two speed hub , with coaster brake for just a little over a hundred bucks shipped .
I almost ordered a freewheel hub set and was going to try to go 7 speed with a derailleur, but I’d have to use cable ties for the cables on the frame . Now we’re talking about getting into new bike territory.
Old 10-20-19, 06:22 PM
JehD

I was able to pickup a set of custom aluminum wheels with a Sturmey Archer Kickback two speed hub , with coaster brake for just a little over a hundred bucks shipped .
I hadn't thought of that, but still with all the zip tie hangers or whatever for the brake cables I didn't like the looks of it.
Old 10-20-19, 06:43 PM
OldCruiser

I hadn't thought of that, but still with all the zip tie hangers or whatever for the brake cables I didn't like the looks of it.
You did the right thing getting the 7d . The 7d is only about $50 more than a C1 .
Old 10-20-19, 07:00 PM
JehD

You did the right thing getting the 7d . The 7d is only about $50 more than a C1 .

And I sold my 10 Year old C1’s for $135.

I did like the white graphics and pin striping on the older bike. It had more contrast.

I am curious as to how the 2 speed works for you.
Old 10-20-19, 07:08 PM
OldCruiser

And I sold my 10 Year old C1’s for $135.

I did like the white graphics and pin striping on the older bike. It had more contrast.

I am curious as to how the 2 speed works for you.
I understand the two speed hub comes with a 22 tooth cog the same as the SS original equipment on the C1 . I’ve ordered a 40 tooth chainring to replace the 44 original. I hope this will give me a super low first gear . If not I’ll order a 36 tooth and try it .
I need to have a yardsale and sell a few of mine , but it’s hard to part with them .
Old 10-20-19, 09:37 PM
JehD

I need to have a yardsale and sell a few of mine , but it’s hard to part with them .
What are you up to now 7-8? It does sound like you have quite the collection.
Old 10-21-19, 04:49 AM
OldCruiser

What are you up to now 7-8? It does sound like you have quite the collection.
Are we talking rideable or frames too ? Way too many . I’ve got that many that are in various stages of build . Some are just frames , some just need reworking .
Bikes that I could jump on and ride with a maybe a little air , around 8 .
Classic cruisers , that’s only 3 , two C1’s , and the Fat Tire that are rideable.
Too many

Last edited by OldCruiser; 10-21-19 at 04:54 AM.
Old 10-21-19, 08:31 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts

And my truck mount. There is a 2nd one for my wife bike as well.
i like this. been needing a good but removable way to carry bikes in my truck. thanks.
Old 10-21-19, 10:16 AM
JehD

Originally Posted by Philphine
i like this. been needing a good but removable way to carry bikes in my truck. thanks.

It works pretty well it fits tightly into the pockets on the bed liner and keeps the bike in place. On the dirt road I live on I can bounce out but the bike won’t fall over.
Old 10-27-19, 05:35 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Very nice!
Old 11-10-19, 02:33 PM
OldCruiser

I have a question JehD ?
Is your 7d a regular or a tall frame .
I’m getting the fever again . .
I was looking at a Framed Fat Tire bike , but after riding my Electra Fat Tire today , I don’t think I could deal with the hum of knobbies riding through the neighborhood. Plus I’d have to swap out the stem and bars on it .
After riding my C1 lately with Maxxis Hookworms on it and riding the Fat Tire today , I thought a tall 7D with a set of Maxxis Hookworms would combine the two into an almost perfect neighborhood cruiser.
The Tall 7D and Fat Tire have similar size frames . And I have not found a tire I like better than the Maxxis Hookworms , even though they are heavy , they roll and grip better than any tire I’ve ever owned .
Old 11-11-19, 10:56 PM
JehD

I have a question JehD ?
Is your 7d a regular or a tall frame .
I’m getting the fever again . .
I was looking at a Framed Fat Tire bike , but after riding my Electra Fat Tire today , I don’t think I could deal with the hum of knobbies riding through the neighborhood. Plus I’d have to swap out the stem and bars on it .
After riding my C1 lately with Maxxis Hookworms on it and riding the Fat Tire today , I thought a tall 7D with a set of Maxxis Hookworms would combine the two into an almost perfect neighborhood cruiser.
The Tall 7D and Fat Tire have similar size frames . And I have not found a tire I like better than the Maxxis Hookworms , even though they are heavy , they roll and grip better than any tire I’ve ever owned .
Mines the "regular". Its funny, my old C1 had the Electra knobbies and I liked the look but they did have a little hum to them. The smooth tires on the 7D are super quiet and so is the freewheel, Im really impressed. Coasted down the hill on a ride the other day and even at over 32 mph its silent.
Likes For JehD:
Old 11-11-19, 11:32 PM
OldCruiser

Mines the "regular". Its funny, my old C1 had the Electra knobbies and I liked the look but they did have a little hum to them. The smooth tires on the 7D are super quiet and so is the freewheel, Im really impressed. Coasted down the hill on a ride the other day and even at over 32 mph its silent.
I’d like to see a tall frame before I bought one . The regular feels small to me after riding the Fat Tire and my Roll .
My old C1 came with the knobby cruiser tires . They sucked . Not only did they hum , they didn’t coast good at all . You didn’t need brakes , just stop peddling and the bike would slow down . The tires that came on my new C1 were a lot better .
First thing I did to my Rockhopper was swap out the tires for some Maxxis Hookworms , since if I do go off-road with it , it’ll be on a smooth trail and I won’t be going fast . I’ve had enough spills lately.
I can’t decide whether to buy a new Cruiser with gears or build an old Fuji mountain bike frame into a two speed cruiser. I’ve got the parts .
Ive got to get my wrists well first . Can’t use a screwdriver without pain .
It’s killing me not being able to do work on my bikes
Old 11-14-19, 03:45 AM
JehD

I’d like to see a tall frame before I bought one . The regular feels small to me after riding the Fat Tire and my Roll .
My old C1 came with the knobby cruiser tires . They sucked . Not only did they hum , they didn’t coast good at all . You didn’t need brakes , just stop peddling and the bike would slow down . The tires that came on my new C1 were a lot better .
First thing I did to my Rockhopper was swap out the tires for some Maxxis Hookworms , since if I do go off-road with it , it’ll be on a smooth trail and I won’t be going fast . I’ve had enough spills lately.
I can’t decide whether to buy a new Cruiser with gears or build an old Fuji mountain bike frame into a two speed cruiser. I’ve got the parts .
Ive got to get my wrists well first . Can’t use a screwdriver without pain .
It’s killing me not being able to do work on my bikes
I dont know if you live near a Trek Store as mine was willing to order in any bike less than 1k with no obligation.

How did you crash?
Old 11-14-19, 06:47 AM
OldCruiser

How did you crash?
On Halloween day , it had rained and the streets were wet , so , between showers and I decided to get in a quick ride. I took my Roll because of its wide tires , thinking it would handle the wet pavement the best .
I was cruising the neighborhood, topped a hill and went down a short ways and went to turn around in the middle of the road , turned left , cross the road and when I turned to complete my turn around going up the hill , the front tire hit a slick spot and slid out from under me . I was about a half mile from home and rode the bike home .
My wife talked me into going to an orthopedic and I had my right hand x-rayed . Doc said he couldn’t see any breakage . I go back today for a recheck .
Bruised up and sore , but getting better . 280 lbs hitting the payment and landing partly on the bike at my age hurts and takes awhile to heal .
Luckily, I had on my helmet and full fingered gloves .
Old 11-14-19, 12:32 PM
JehD

On Halloween day , it had rained and the streets were wet , so , between showers and I decided to get in a quick ride. I took my Roll because of its wide tires , thinking it would handle the wet pavement the best .
I was cruising the neighborhood, topped a hill and went down a short ways and went to turn around in the middle of the road , turned left , cross the road and when I turned to complete my turn around going up the hill , the front tire hit a slick spot and slid out from under me . I was about a half mile from home and rode the bike home .
My wife talked me into going to an orthopedic and I had my right hand x-rayed . Doc said he couldn’t see any breakage . I go back today for a recheck .
Bruised up and sore , but getting better . 280 lbs hitting the payment and landing partly on the bike at my age hurts and takes awhile to heal .
Luckily, I had on my helmet and full fingered gloves .

Well good to hear you’re ok. But I get it, we don’t heal the same like when we were 12
Likes For JehD: