Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Hillbilly Chainsaw

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Hillbilly Chainsaw

Old 12-07-19, 07:47 PM
  #1  
bikejunkie
group W bench
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hinckley, Ohio
Posts: 248

Bikes: Raleigh Prestige, GT ZR.1, Burley Duet, Schwinn Voyagre, Giant ATX 990, a couple single speeds and a fixed gear, plus my bike collection

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 2 Posts
Hillbilly Chainsaw

Every Christmas I make a gift for my boss and friend Scott Cowan usually bicycle or bicycle parts related. As well as being an avid cyclist he is a fellow firewood cutter. This year I tried to combine both his hobbies in one gift.

I now present the "Hillbilly Chainsaw" for you amusement and consideration. It is a fully functional hand powered chainsaw. Granted it a little under powered but completely environmentally friendly. Just imagine how efficient this would be if someone figured how to put a motor on this.

I hope you all enjoy!
bikejunkie is offline  
Old 12-07-19, 09:26 PM
  #2  
rseeker
Senior Member
 
rseeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 837
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 76 Posts
That's awesome.
rseeker is offline  
Old 12-07-19, 10:56 PM
  #3  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 20,078
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10036 Post(s)
Liked 1,356 Times in 805 Posts
I need a chainsaw. Couple weeks ago I went up into the mountains to take night pictures in a burn scar. The wind had blown a dead tree over, blocking the road. While I was shooting, I kept hearing and seeing others creak in the wind. If one had come down behind me, I would have been trapped. It was 25F.
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Old 12-08-19, 12:03 AM
  #4  
Hondo Gravel
The Price Is Wrong
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Hondo,Texas
Posts: 1,175

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 252 Posts
I’m a chainsaw wizard the very best. Managed never to cut myself but I have come close several times.
Hondo Gravel is offline  
Old 12-08-19, 02:44 PM
  #5  
base2 
Senior Member
 
base2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 1,148

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 93 Posts
Ever since I was a young boy
I've played the silver saw
From Soho down to Brighton
I must have sawed them all
But I ain't seen nothing like him
In any loggin' camp

He stands like a statue

Becomes part of the machine
Feeling all the branches
Always cutting clean
Saws by intuition
The big trees all do fall

Sure plays a mean chain saw!



...& I'm done.
base2 is offline  
Old 12-08-19, 03:57 PM
  #6  
no motor?
Senior Member
 
no motor?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 6,178

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 114 Posts
Personally I think nomotor is the best.
no motor? is offline  
Likes For no motor?:
Old 12-08-19, 07:49 PM
  #7  
Seattle Forrest
Senior Member
 
Seattle Forrest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 20,078
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10036 Post(s)
Liked 1,356 Times in 805 Posts
Originally Posted by base2 View Post
Ever since I was a young boy
I've played the silver saw
From Soho down to Brighton
I must have sawed them all
But I ain't seen nothing like him
In any loggin' camp

He stands like a statue

Becomes part of the machine
Feeling all the branches
Always cutting clean
Saws by intuition
The big trees all do fall

Sure plays a mean chain saw!



...& I'm done.
I wish I could "like" this more than once!
Seattle Forrest is offline  
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 12-08-19, 11:06 PM
  #8  
skidder
Semi-Crazy
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 931

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by bikejunkie View Post
Every Christmas I make a gift for my boss and friend Scott Cowan usually bicycle or bicycle parts related. As well as being an avid cyclist he is a fellow firewood cutter. This year I tried to combine both his hobbies in one gift.

I now present the "Hillbilly Chainsaw" for you amusement and consideration. It is a fully functional hand powered chainsaw. Granted it a little under powered but completely environmentally friendly. Just imagine how efficient this would be if someone figured how to put a motor on this.

I hope you all enjoy!
Is that a single speed or a fixie?
skidder is offline  
Old 12-09-19, 01:16 AM
  #9  
Hondo Gravel
The Price Is Wrong
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Hondo,Texas
Posts: 1,175

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 252 Posts

Seattle Forrest come visit the South Just playing you are a cool dude much respect
Hondo Gravel is offline  
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 12-09-19, 05:06 AM
  #10  
bikejunkie
group W bench
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hinckley, Ohio
Posts: 248

Bikes: Raleigh Prestige, GT ZR.1, Burley Duet, Schwinn Voyagre, Giant ATX 990, a couple single speeds and a fixed gear, plus my bike collection

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder View Post
Is that a single speed or a fixie?
Fixie all the way!
bikejunkie is offline  
Old 12-09-19, 05:29 AM
  #11  
nomadmax 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 1,236
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 251 Posts
Meh, it's a left hand version; no market for it
nomadmax is offline  
Old 12-09-19, 05:41 AM
  #12  
Stormsedge
Senior Member
 
Stormsedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 675

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS *NEW BIKE*, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 28 Posts
Finally, something for right handed arm wrestlers to use to maintain body symmetry!
Stormsedge is offline  
Likes For Stormsedge:
Old 12-09-19, 08:32 AM
  #13  
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,210
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 123 Posts
Cool
himespau is offline  
Old 12-09-19, 12:46 PM
  #14  
dedhed
SE Wis
 
dedhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 5,692

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 193 Posts

dedhed is online now  
Old 12-09-19, 03:17 PM
  #15  
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel
 
RubeRad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Diego
Posts: 8,806

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 230 Posts
Really cool! I'm interested in more details. Is that chain riding around a 'blade' from a real chainsaw?

Looks like that's a regular handsaw behind that it's attached to, keeps getting narrower so the chain is sticking out enough to do some cutting?

Is there a tiny sprocket behind that crank? Or is that the chain I see going around behind the edge? Bash/handguard? How is the path of the chain pinched like that?
RubeRad is offline  
Old 12-09-19, 05:13 PM
  #16  
bikejunkie
group W bench
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Hinckley, Ohio
Posts: 248

Bikes: Raleigh Prestige, GT ZR.1, Burley Duet, Schwinn Voyagre, Giant ATX 990, a couple single speeds and a fixed gear, plus my bike collection

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
Really cool! I'm interested in more details. Is that chain riding around a 'blade' from a real chainsaw?

Looks like that's a regular handsaw behind that it's attached to, keeps getting narrower so the chain is sticking out enough to do some cutting?

Is there a tiny sprocket behind that crank? Or is that the chain I see going around behind the edge? Bash/handguard? How is the path of the chain pinched like that?
Thanks RubeRad. It is a real chainsaw bar and saw chain bolted to an old hand saw. A single chainring crank arm was cut down to fit in an old chainsaw clutch plate. It has a drive gear on the back. It is bolted through with sealed bearings on front and back. A fully funtioning hand powered chainsaw although I don't know how effective it would be.
bikejunkie is offline  
Old 12-09-19, 06:49 PM
  #17  
wgscott
Occam's Rotor
 
wgscott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,143
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 221 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
I need a chainsaw. Couple weeks ago I went up into the mountains to take night pictures in a burn scar. The wind had blown a dead tree over, blocking the road. While I was shooting, I kept hearing and seeing others creak in the wind. If one had come down behind me, I would have been trapped. It was 25F.
I used to keep one in the car in the winter, because trees falling into the road here happens very frequently, but the stench of gasoline and oil was overpowering. Now I have a nice inexpensive bow-saw. It might take more time and effort to saw through a tree, but at least I won't have to mess with the Stihl "easy start" system, which is anything but.


If the bow saw is too small, it isn't something you are going to want to mess around with anyway. (A chainsaw is not the safest of toys to play with).

Last edited by wgscott; 12-09-19 at 11:57 PM.
wgscott is offline  
Likes For wgscott:
Old 12-14-19, 10:42 AM
  #18  
Hondo Gravel
The Price Is Wrong
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Hondo,Texas
Posts: 1,175

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
I used to keep one in the car in the winter, because trees falling into the road here happens very frequently, but the stench of gasoline and oil was overpowering. Now I have a nice inexpensive bow-saw. It might take more time and effort to saw through a tree, but at least I won't have to mess with the Stihl "easy start" system, which is anything but.


If the bow saw is too small, it isn't something you are going to want to mess around with anyway. (A chainsaw is not the safest of toys to play with).
Texas state law requires you keep one of those in youíre vehicle if you donít it wonít pass inspection. They are handy when you only need to cut a few small limbs and you donít want to hassle with a chainsaw.
Hondo Gravel is offline  
Old 12-14-19, 02:42 PM
  #19  
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid
 
Zinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Spokane WA
Posts: 2,554

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3TILW0O_C0

Seattle Forrest come visit the South Just playing you are a cool dude much respect
NSFW


NSFW

Florida seems to be where the chainsaw art scene flourishes since the '80s

Last edited by Zinger; 12-14-19 at 02:48 PM.
Zinger is offline  
Old 12-15-19, 02:43 AM
  #20  
genec
genec
 
genec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 26,409

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7465 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 272 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
I used to keep one in the car in the winter, because trees falling into the road here happens very frequently, but the stench of gasoline and oil was overpowering. Now I have a nice inexpensive bow-saw. It might take more time and effort to saw through a tree, but at least I won't have to mess with the Stihl "easy start" system, which is anything but.


If the bow saw is too small, it isn't something you are going to want to mess around with anyway. (A chainsaw is not the safest of toys to play with).
I actually have a Ryobi battery powered chainsaw that is both quiet and does not have that gasoline "offensive stench" issue. It does however leak chain oil... which it needs to keep the chain well lubricated. I would put it against your bowsaw any day... it works pretty well.

Stihl has a new line of battery powered chainsaws...
https://m.stihlusa.com/products/chai.../battery-saws/

I may have to upgrade from my little Ryobi. The Ryobi does well on stuff up to just about 10 inches in diameter, which can otherwise be too heavy to lift until it has been cut in a few places.

Last edited by genec; 12-15-19 at 03:09 AM.
genec is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.