Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Woodrup 531 st Bicycle Value

Old 12-21-19, 10:15 PM
szayeb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Woodrup 531 st Bicycle Value

I found a vintage Woodrup st a few weeks ago. I have been trying to findout more about the value. It appears to be from the 80's and has the number 5525 stamped on the bottom of the frame. It is in good shape, no dents and a few scratches. It has Cenilli Campione Del Mondo 66-47 handlebars. Wolber model 58 Super Champion rims, Compagnolo brakes. Any ideas of the value would be appreciated.
Old 12-21-19, 11:56 PM
machinist42

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 36 Posts
Assist

Originally Posted by szayeb View Post
I found a vintage Woodrup st a few weeks ago. I have been trying to findout more about the value. It appears to be from the 80's and has the number 5525 stamped on the bottom of the frame. It is in good shape, no dents and a few scratches. It has Cenilli Campione Del Mondo 66-47 handlebars. Wolber model 58 Super Champion rims, Compagnolo brakes. Any ideas of the value would be appreciated.
I posted this over in the "Are You Looking For One Of These?" thread, before I noticed it here in Appraisals.

Vintage Woodrup Road Bike - $1000 (Oxford)

https://images.craigslist.org/00Y0Y_gyUJgD16k9f_1200x900.jpg[/img]

Is the drive side dropout cracked?

I think the serial is actually "552" followed by an "signature stamping".

I think your pricing is optimistic. I applaud you for seeking out fair value from this forum. Some will be harsh, (especially those in the mountains; them folk be cranky, curmudgeonly and cantankerous), but you'll field some opinions which will be realistic, informative and educational. My personal recent experience includes posting a Teledyne Titan in the "Are You Looking..." thread offered at a not overly optimistic price, and then months later have the seller ask me if I wanted to buy it at a tenth of the original ask. In other words, the market is very very soft. I'll leave it to others to offer their opinion, as I might be interested and am local, and my estimate would not be entirely objective.

Best of fortune with your sale!

Last edited by machinist42; 12-22-19 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-22-19, 08:26 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 829 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 151 Posts
It's a project, dirty, old rusty chain, not rideable. Needs a realistic price IMHO. So far from reality right now I don't think it goes anywhere. IMHO, your price is in the territory where buyers expect a pristine, FULL Campy (no Suntour shifters and derailleurs), no rust, perfect paint, top of the line, ready to ride, super desirable bike.

See the recent thread on a beautiful, full Campy, Peugeot PX10 as an example.

I'll leave pricing to others, since I am from the mountains and probably fit this description "Some will be harsh, (especially those in the mountains; them folk be cranky, curmudgeonly and cantankerous)"

Barn find bicycles are not a plus. Its a project. Project buyers are scarce, those that buy expect a hefty discount to cover the work involved in refurbishing the bike, and a margin for surprises.

What was the basis of your asking price? Please don't say asking prices on ebay, that is meaningless. Actual sold on ebay is much lower, in much better condition. And to a bike person, that bike is not in good condition.

Last edited by wrk101; 12-22-19 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-22-19, 09:09 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 180 Posts
Big ask that price is.
but the silence will perhaps drive the message to the seller.
Old 12-22-19, 11:42 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: fewer (n-1)

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 82 Posts
I don't claim to be an expert at what others would pay for a bike needing an awful lot of work, so the most help I can offer is to tell you what I would pay for it. If it were local to me so I didn't have to pay shipping I would pay $150 for it and strip it for spare parts. If I was sure that the frame wasn't bent (Bikes with replacement forks often are bent at the front end) I would pay $200.
Brent
Old 12-22-19, 01:18 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 16489 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 520 Posts
Woodrup is a swell bike...

...but I have one in pretty nice shape here. I don't think I could sell it for $1000, but I might get $6-700 on a local sale in the Spring if I were patient.
And mine needs no work at all, it's ridden regularly. That one would make a swell project for someone who paints at maybe $2-300.

Old 12-22-19, 01:32 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1307 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 199 Posts
This dropout looks kind of iffy:

Old 12-22-19, 08:53 PM
szayeb

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback

I appreciate the input. I am taking it by a bike repair shop to get it evaluated in the next week or two. I have no idea what the value may be, but I do appreciate all of the input on the forum. I assumed my price ws very optimistic, but you gotta statrt somewhere.
Old 12-22-19, 09:15 PM
3alarmer

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 251 Post(s)
Quoted: 16489 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 520 Posts
...I still think it would make a very good project bike for someone who does his own painting, but the dropout re-repair will probably cost another $50-60 at least, and it might fry the chrome on that stay. Which is not a big problem if you just paint the stays anyway. Woodrup was small enough in production to be sort of boutique English frame, and well enough made that this one is worth saving. But it will be a lot of work and expense for someone, and your price ought to reflect that. The fork, even though a different finish from the frame, looks like a Woodrup fork to me. But I've only seen one in person, the one I ride.
Old 12-22-19, 09:39 PM
zukahn1

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts
I would agree with wrk101 that the price is no realistic as a none working project bike with second level mixed components it is really only $200 bike as presented and one could list it on CL in most markets for a year or so before it sells.
Old 12-22-19, 09:56 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 10336 Post(s)
Liked 470 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by machinist42 View Post

Is the drive side dropout cracked?
I think that is a smudge in the drive-side dropout, of probably whatever caused the cable housing to melt.
Old 12-22-19, 10:10 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 10336 Post(s)
Liked 470 Times in 366 Posts
Somewhat of an eclectic group of parts.

If you are writing a Craigslist ad, make sure you spell things like "Campagnolo" correctly.

I think the next owner would likely strip and rebuild.

If you have time, patience, and energy, you'd probably do best by stripping the bike for its components and sell it off piece by piece. I think you should be able to get up to perhaps $300 in parts and components. Don't be too greedy, you have a lot of rust.

Disassembly also guarantees to a buyer that all the parts are free, and not stuck.
Old 12-23-19, 05:06 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 119 Posts
I just came across this ad on Craigslist, and thought that the pricing was *extremely* optimistic.

I'm no vintage bike pro (though I've fixed up a few vintage bikes in my time), and like others have said, this one looks like a project, and not a small project. IMO, a complete overhaul would be needed to get anywhere close to $1000. $200 seems more reasonable if the right buyer can be found.
Old 12-24-19, 12:13 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: Paramounts, PX-10s, Mondias, Motobecane Grand Record, Specialized Allez Carbon, and Nishiki Tri-A

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 115 Posts
Read this post for in this sub-forum for "A" Dose of Reality: Post Bikes You Have Sold in 2019 with pricing!
Your bike in the condition that it is in would have been way over priced even a few years ago.
JMO, Ben
Old 12-25-19, 05:28 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 4135 Post(s)
Liked 421 Times in 325 Posts
I would love to find a Woodrup in my size. I’d pass on this bike though unless it was priced at around the value of the parts. The replacement fork kills the value of the bike.
Old 12-30-19, 06:28 PM
Sandstrom

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
Size is a good point. That bike appears to be a rather large size so your potential interested audience would be further reduced.