Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Helmet light with glue on mount?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-20, 08:17 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts

I wear a POC helmet that is essentially a cannonball. I would like a low cost, low profile, white front/rear red adhesive fixed light to supplement my bike mounted cygolights. It will have to affix to the apex of the helmet. Bonus if usb rechargeable! Any known products?
Old 01-14-20, 08:44 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I don't have pics, but what I did was mount one of those rechargeable head lights on an elastic strap that is intended to be worn on your head for hands free working instead of using a flashlight. I wrapped it around the helmet. It's rechargeable, has a blinking function or super bright steady light. Then I clipped a red tail light on the back of the strap that also blinks or is steady. Most days I don't turn them on, but when traffic is heavy or it's severely overcast, dusk, and dark they're on. The nice thing about them is they turn with your head. You look at someone with that bright led light and you generally get their attention, which is crucial at intersections. (FWIW-The one I have is a yellow housing with a silver diamond on the front and it puts my bike headlight to shame for brightness) HTH
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 01-14-20, 09:54 PM
gaidensensei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bontrager offers a helmet with a built in mount, see Circuit model for example. It is not cheap though being a MIPS option
Old 01-14-20, 10:00 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
stick on velcro would work.
Old 01-15-20, 03:41 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,270 Times in 1,272 Posts
I wear a Lumos helmet and I love it. No, it is not cheap , but it has a bunch of led lights that are programmable to flash slow, rapid , or just on. It also is able to be paired to your Apple Watch for turn signals. It comes with a handle bar mount turn signal switch that works well. It is a MIPS helmet that,to me, is worth every penny. Increased visibility and safety is key when cycling on the road with traffic.
Old 01-15-20, 05:32 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
I not passing judgement at all but only relating what I found out when I was looking to use a helmet light.

Apparently a sharper pointy object like a light is far more likely to pierce a helmet than say hitting your head on a pavement or heaven forbid a car but whatever the object something that's flatter, the impact is spread, probably causing less damage than something that concentrates it in one area ... granted you may fall off your bike and hit the sharp edge of a fence post or other pointy object but the most likely impact will probably be the ground ... don't ask me how I know

It's widely believed that the Schumachers' injury's were worsened because he was wearing a Go pro on his helmet.

As I say I'm not casting any judgement but simply passing on what I found out when I was going to get one but in the end decided against it.
Old 01-15-20, 05:54 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
I wear a POC helmet that is essentially a cannonball. I would like a low cost, low profile, white front/rear red adhesive fixed light to supplement my bike mounted cygolights. It will have to affix to the apex of the helmet. Bonus if usb rechargeable! Any known products?
Sounds like the POC Crane helmet. Not enough vents to use Velcro straps or something similar to temporarily attach lights.

Many accessory manufacturers use 3M VHB tape, a very secure, durable double stick foam core tape, thick and pliable enough to conform to many surfaces. Drift uses it for mounting their Ghost series video cameras to motorcycle helmets and say they've never received a report of failure.

However I was reluctant to commit that VHB tape mount to my POC Omne Air Spin helmet. One problem is the Drift mounts are designed for motorcycle helmets, not bicycle helmets, and the flat and curve mounts didn't match my helmets. So I used Blu Tack gum and the very similar Scotch mounting putty to attach mounts for my video cameras, lights, etc. It's held up very well for several months. These mounting putties can be built up to conform to any bicycle helmet shape. And while the putties remain pliable and detachable, they're also fairly stiff and retain their shape even through hot weather. It's a good compromise for makeshift mounting when there's no suitable ready made mount.

Regarding helmet mounted lights, the only single unit I've seen with white front and red rear was a dim unit sold several years ago that used a single AA or AAA battery. I haven't seen it in years.

Instead, check out something like the Blackburn 2'Fer or 2-Fer XL. Very versatile, with four modes: white and red, flashing and steady. You can get the two-fer of the original smaller 2'Fer for the price of one XL. I've used one for 3 or 4 years now, pretty much every ride, on the back of my commuter and road helmets. But my helmets have enough vents that I can use Velcro or rubber band straps.

There's also 2-packs of thinner lights like these from Knog for mounting on bike frame seat stays, but they'd be lower profile on a helmet too.

For a commuter/skater type helmet like the POC Crane, or any Nutcase or Bern, I'd try the Blu Tack or Scotch gum first to rig up a mount to make it easy to attach/detach the lights for recharging. The 2'Fer USB ports are on the back and can't be charged while mounted on the helmet. If the mount worked well enough with the gum, I might switch to the more permanent 3M VHB tape.
Old 01-15-20, 06:49 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I got a couple of pics of what I use. As you can see, I'm not into spending money to look good, just want things to be functional. The little round one on the back of the helmet blinks too, but it's not very bright, kind of like me. The rear has lots of functions and claims to be 60 Lumens, it's really bright, but nothing like the head light. The head light also has a red blinking function when you're not using the bright white and sometimes I put that on and people think it's a little camera and they'll actually smile and wave like they're going to be on Utube or something. HTH