Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Metro Boston: Good ride today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-14, 08:55 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by rholland1951
Jim, you're a mensch!
(Thanks.)
Without menschen the world would be a harsher place. I just try to be a good citizen, so don't menschen it. Or rather, do menschen it when the opportunity comes.

Nice ride in this morning. Cool relatively dry air. Light traffic like yesterday but not as frenetic. It must be a Friday thing.
Old 09-26-14, 10:22 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,730 Times in 885 Posts
The quacking Trucker DeLuxe came back from the shop, de-quacked (thanks to Tyler Oulton at Paramount Bicycle Repair for performing the successful quackectomy). Took it out for a 10-mile night ride on the Minuteman, getting reacquainted with its nimble 26" handling, 44mm Compass tires, and the drive train's mash-up of Sun Tour shifters, Sugino crankset, Shimano derailleurs, SRAM cassette, and Chris King hubs. Need to put some miles on this one before the snows come, it still feels like a new bike.

rod
Old 09-27-14, 01:38 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
...Agreed about cell phone and cash/ATM card. Not sure about gum though. I'm thinking a gub would be too heavy and not terribly useful....
I just came upon this formulation on another thread:

Originally Posted by tractorlegs
Age is the solution. Stick to your guns...
Old 09-27-14, 03:36 AM
Jim from Boston

… just as I was getting started a voice over my shoulder called out "On your left" and a group of seven cyclist went by. I fell in behind, we crossed one road immediately, and they took off. There were four guys in front decked out in full kits and riding head-down in a tight quad formation, two more guys not so stylish, and one girl, I mean woman, spinning a cadence much faster but trailing.

A quarter of a mile later I caught up with her and kept hearing her coughing. She was slowing, obviously having difficulty. As I went by I asked if she was with them and was she okay. She answered yes and she'd be fine. I wasn't sure what "them" meant, all six or just the two. The four guys in front were moving, the next two guys seemingly not so fast. I caught up to them and asked if all seven of them were together, they said yes. I told them they were losing one rider, that she'd dropped back. By now she was 200 yards back. They looked back, realized what was up, and slowed or stopped. But the four in front were oblivious, head-down, cranking.

So I took off after them. It took me maybe a quarter of a mile with me pushing my 42 year old UO-8 with its bottle generator engaged and them riding new CF, but I finally caught them. (He!) I called out that they'd lost a rider. One guy asked "What?" I said the girl back there was having some trouble and they'd lost her. Ah, they figured it out, slowed and I think turned around. I took off, figured I'd done her, and all of them as a society of seven, a nice service. I never saw them again.
Originally Posted by rholland1951
Jim, you're a mensch!

Originally Posted by Howie Carr
”No good deed goes unpunished.”
Jim, I’d like to salute your white knight rescue of a damsel in distress, but I am bothered by a contrarian view. I would think that a “society of seven” who decided to congregate for a group bike ride, especially when four are apparent “roadies” in the usual sense, would also be aware of their individual cycling capabilities. They all may have had a group dynamic that recognized, and accepted such. For example, I suggest that perhaps they were going out to breakfast and had agreed upon a destination to meet. The roadies obviously had a workout in mind too.

In fact, it may have been hazardous to interrupt a fast paceline with a sudden unexpected warning, The lady was not being abandoned out on the mean streets of Lexington, and may well have been satisfied with her own pace, as were the other “dudes.” Perhaps even the roadies were not “jerks” but gentlemen, who acceded to your warning and graciously turned around for your benefit, only to resume their pace when you left.

No criticism implied, Jim, Just sayin’. I was not there, but your description agrees with many of the pacelines I often encounter. There was a thread awhile ago, ”Riding with your wife-girlfriend, should you have a slight fitness edge” about cycling with lovers and other strangers.

When you and Sharon, rtool and I all did the Sixth Annual Fifty-Plus Ride this July, rtool and I did not expect to keep up with you, but looked forward to meeting up later. Rtool on his recumbent trike and I rode together, but even then by mutual agreement, I charged up hills to get them over with, and slowed down as he caught up. I hope no one thought I was abandoning the "old guy."

Finally, Jim, would you have alerted the roadies if the tail-end rider was a guy? Again, Just sayin'.
Old 09-27-14, 04:20 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I would think that a “society of seven” who decided to congregate for a group bike ride, especially when four are apparent “roadies” in the usual sense, would also be aware of their individual cycling capabilities....

In fact, it may have been hazardous to interrupt a fast paceline with a sudden unexpected warning,...

Perhaps even the roadies were not “jerks” but gentlemen, who acceded to your warning and graciously turned around for your benefit, only to resume their pace when you left.

No criticism implied, Jim, Just sayin’. I was not there, but your description agrees with many of the pacelines I often encounter...

Finally, Jim, would you have alerted the roadies if the tail-end rider was a guy? Again, Just sayin'.
These parts of your note are worth answering, I think.

By appearances, she was a roadie too. They were together when they went by me, perhaps having just started. And they (she and the two guys) said they were out as a group.

The lead four weren't riding a paceline, just a tight 2x2 bunch. I didn't interrupt them but called from behind. On the MM during commute time a paceline or even just riding 2 abreast can be problematic. Most of the time the MM is no place for a paceline at all. It's not a good place for a "workout" but is a good way to get to where you might start one.

If they had planned to meet up somewhere they (either group) needn't have slowed at all. When we did the MassBike ride it was a supported ride with a designated route, so being dropped was not an issue. In this case there was obvious difficulty involved, as her speed had dropped by half in the brief time I followed them. When I related the story to Sharon she said perhaps that woman was asthmatic. I'm thinking perhaps she was developing a cold, from the cough and very high cadence. Of course I could have been wrong.

Had it been a guy I would have done the same under those circumstances. When I see someone with a problem (typically a flat tire) I almost always ask. In this case I also asked about whether they were together because appearances suggested they were.

I'll say again, when we individually attempt to be a good citizen we make the world a friendlier place.

Last edited by jimmuller; 09-27-14 at 05:00 AM.
Old 09-27-14, 04:49 AM
Jim from Boston

...I'll say again, when we attempt to be a good citizen we make the world a friendlier place.
Hey Jim,

Thanks for your reply, at 6:20 AM on a Saturday!

I hope you get out for a nice ride today; I won’t (can’t) but am engaged in some happy activities.

Lest you think I am a cantankerous curmudgeon, I have done good deeds on the road. Once while thinking I was totally unobserved, I took a Yoplait container (shaped as the frustum of a cone) off the head of a skunk who had gotten stuck in it, and was wandering aimlessly near the side of the road. I posted about it years later on a BF thread about strange things seen on the commute. I eventually got some gratifying recognition much later, "paging Jim from Boston".

Originally Posted by no motor?
Did you see the video in this article? You're not the only one to pull a cup off the head of a skunk.

Wow! What a pleasant surprise. Thanks for the post. That incident happened on my morning cycle commute at least ten, or more years ago, and I posted about it on Bike Forums years ago (I joined in 2008)...The skunk looked so pitiful, and surely would have wandered into the street. My recollection is that I jumped back as soon as the cup came off his head, and fortunately I was opposite the business end of the skunk. I don’t remember if it did spray.

I believe I did mention that a few years after that event I happened to have driven a car to work (I rarely do) and parked in the visitors parking lot. As I was leaving and stopped to pay the attendant, he told me he had witnessed my good deed while driving by years ago and let me pass for free.

Originally Posted by spivonious
lol, it's good to know that there are still people like this in the world. I'm sure the skunk is happy to be able to see again.
To expand this discussion to cycle commuting, since we are so intimately familiar with the Road, compared to motorists, we are more apt to see situations of distress and can more easily stop and help out. Over the years I have found a few wallets and cell phones and returned them to the owners. On one nasty snowy winter day on my cycle commute (with studded tires), I stopped and pushed at least three stranded cars off of slippery surfaces where they could get no traction.
Jim, I’d like to salute your white knight rescue of a damsel in distress…
Maybe we cyclists should promote that image as Knights Errant of the Road, à la The Knights of the Round Table when cagers complain about us as nuisances.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
A knight-errant is a figure of medieval chivalric romance literature. The adjective errant (meaning "wandering, roving") indicates how the knight-errant would wander the land in search of adventures to prove his chivalric virtues, either in [strike]knightly duels (pas d'armes)[/strike] [daring rescues] or in some other pursuit of courtly love...
But now back to my regularly scheduled duties, already in progress.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-29-14 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-28-14, 01:42 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
The past several. A couple of memorable moments that were completely memorable happened in Seattle.

One when I was descending 1st Ave, and I got completely spooked with passing stopped traffic, especially cabbies, since there was at most 3 feet between the cabs and the curb and the sidewalk was mass quantities of pedestrians, sometimes spilling into the street. Zero outs. The bike behind me squealed in pain every time I got spooked and stopped. Add on the first time I'd been on a bike with disk brakes, so totally stressful. When I took the corner at Madison, she stopped besides me at Western and apologized to me. Huh? She asked me if I knew how to fix squeaky brakes, they had been fine until last week. Seriously? I've never wanted to be the well meaning dude. I said it's one of those most maddening things to debug, google Sheldon Brown and good luck. But no shame bringing it into a local bike shop. It might be worth it to spring for a tune-up and fix the squeaky brakes at the same time.

A couple of miles later I passed the Coast Guard station and pulled over to get my bearings and check the camera. From across the street in the other direction a woman cyclist slowed, was getting ready to cross over to me and calls out - "Are you OK?" Uh, huh? Yeah, thanks, have a great day!

So, here's to the knights. And the princesses too.

Yesterday a great 50k, decided to head "south" - really south east. Pretty much go down Mass Ave until it ends. Beautiful MGB heading to UMB. We leap frogged our way down Mass Ave together. Remember when all of Mass Ave was this bike "friendly?" It's so easy to forget sometimes how much things have changed.

Heading to Wm Day Blvd. Couldn't resist slowing down and taking the boardwalk. The fragrance of Sea and Ski wafted by from the sea breeze, I remembered I forgot something before I left. Oh well. Only shrimped, didn't lobster, mostly my knee caps and inside of the elbows.

Once upon a time (not too long ago actually) you could bike out to Castle Island and around Pleasure Bay. "No Bikes" signs bar the way now. Sigh. I wonder what we did? (So, no pictures out there.)

Heading back into town, Southie is definitely changing. No judgments, just a fact, it is changing. Left v right.

Perhaps the best kept secret in town. The most mellow ride in downtown Boston might well be along the Washington Street SL-4 bus lane.

Zero conflicts with the silver line. The bus is slow and stops frequently, no leapfrog, just one hop.

In case you are wondering if bikes are allowed in the bus lane, yes! (The road is much redder than it appears in these pictures btw. And Salmon!)

Coming back on the Paul D White, a couple on a tandem. Don't know if anyone recognizes them.

Finally, had company at the Mass Ave/Cambridge Street merge. Don't know if the new configuration will be better or not. Hard to imagine that it would be worse.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 08-20-18 at 08:37 AM. Reason: photobucket
Old 09-29-14, 08:50 PM
rholland1951

Took the Surly Trucker DeLuxe (STD) out for a sprint on the Minuteman in the foggy, foggy dew this evening, 10 miles. Fun!

rod
Old 09-30-14, 04:06 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

No pic, just Monday's commute. For various reasons I knew I'd be later than usual. Started for home at about 6:05PM, made it home by 7:08 so the last bits were in the dark. Not a bad run except that the light mist made my glasses fog up a few times so that oncoming headlights made seeing difficult. With the cloud cover prividing some light and all the streetlights and the bright B&M headlight on the bike I had plenty to see by.

When DST switches off I'll be riding in the dark quite a bit.
Old 10-01-14, 05:35 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Another day another commute, this one not as planned. In fact, I'd expected to drive. The weather was supposed to be quite wet. I needed to take a heavy book to the office. So I got up early figuring I'd get to the office early, get a lot of work done. After about 15 minutes of waiting in traffic I'd managed to go maybe a mile.

So I turned around, drove home (another 15 minutes), grabbed the bike and rode. I didn't get to the office early but I did get there dry!

The ride home was pleasant, and dry too until I got to Belmont. It was a good day. But now the bike if filthy.

The good news is another 5-speed freewheel arrived in the mail today! If I get the chance before tomorrow I'll install it and enjoy using it.
Old 10-02-14, 08:05 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Another day, another commute in the rain
Today was yet another chapter in the Every Day's an Adventure book. Last night I had a temporary crown on a tooth come off, so I figured I'd stop by the dentist as early as I knew he was in the office this morning. But I really didn't want to drive through Watertown Sq and up Galen St in the rain. That can be a serious clog even in the best of days and after yesterday I was spooked. So I donned my bike rain jacket, hopped on the trusty UO-8 now wearing its new (actually old) 5-spd freewheel, and pedaled off. I found a way to avoid both W-town Sq and Galen St. But by the time I left his office "they" had blocked off yet one more street for construction, so after running around in a circle I ended up having to negotiate W-town Sq anyway. Okay...

I worked my way over to Waverley Sq and eventually picked up my usual route to Woburn. Then heading north on Rt60 toward Arlington the bike felt odd. Lo! a flat on the rear. I stopped in the rain, had a devil of a time finding the small leak because the traffic was making so much noise. I started mounting the spare tube after convincing myself that no glass sliver still lurked in the tire casing. Except my spare tube wouldn't hold air. So I figured I'd patch the new leak in the current tube, which made finding the leak imperative. My patch kit had exactly one patch left.

I finally got the leak patched and the tire on the wheel. (Your hands get really dirty changing a tire in the rain.) Then I discovered my trusty Zefal HP pump wasn't so HP anymore. I might have gotten 50psi in the tire (instead of my usual 105), but at least the patch was holding. I stopped at one of the gas stations by Brattle St but had no quarters for the air machine. So the guy used the air hose in the garage. Except I couldn't convince him it needed more air than "That's good." (How to you convince a surly mechanic whose first language obviously isn't English anyway?) Oh well, it was enough to get me to work.

But look, The Bike Stop in Arlington has an air hose by their door to the MM! With a Schrader valve head! And a pressure gauge! I filled it to over 100psi and rejoiced cautiously knowing that I had no tube, no patch, and no functional pump should I get another flat. The rest of the trip to work was uneventful and not too wet.

The ride home was dry and marginally later than usual for work-related reasons. I had resolved to stop by a bike shop on the way home but wasn't keen on buying a new pump if one of my other frame pumps would work. And I was tired. So I took the MM, which I don't normally do on the way home, turned south on Lake St, and eventually arrived at Waverley Sq,. stopping at Belmont Wheelworks for tubes and a patch kit but no pump yet. By the time I got home it was nearly dark.

Over the last two days I've ridden slightly under 70 miles commuting, mostly in the rain. I'm tired. Can I go to bed now please?
Old 10-02-14, 08:50 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by Bishbike
Between gigging, teaching, and buying a house,...
So where and how is the new house? Are we still going to see you haunting Waverley Square every so often?
Old 10-02-14, 10:16 PM
Bishbike

Bikes: 2002 Bianchi Eros, 2013 Peter Mooney Custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So where and how is the new house? Are we still going to see you haunting Waverley Square every so often?
Thanks for asking Jim.

House is in Malden over by Fellsway East, so it is not all that far away. Still qualifies as "Metro Boston" I suppose.

The place is coming along nicely. Doing some much needed work before we can move in. As always, new things seem to crop up that need attention.

Hopefully be getting on the bike more once the dust settles (literally).

Gotta admit, I will miss Waverly Square, and the fact that I can hop on the bike and do a quick out and back to Concord, plan to visit often, as BWW is my favorite shop, and I love the ride out to Concord and points west.

Thank God for this forum, and the fact that I can at least read about other peoples bike adventures. Was planning on getting out for a nice long ride tomorrow, but have to be in the recording studio all day.

BTW, you are correct. I have never had a 5 speed FW come apart on me.
Old 10-03-14, 05:05 AM
Jim from Boston

Thanks for asking Jim [jimmuller].

House is in Malden over by Fellsway East, so it is not all that far away. Still qualifies as "Metro Boston" I suppose…

Gotta admit, I will miss Waverly Square, and the fact that I can hop on the bike and do a quick out and back to Concord, plan to visit often, as BWW is my favorite shop, and I love the ride out to Concord and points west….

Was planning on getting out for a nice long ride tomorrow, but have to be in the recording studio all day…
Hi Bishbike,

FYA, as a cyclist in Malden, and a musician (from My Magical (and Musical) Mystery Tour [including Malden and Melrose], Saturday, August 23):

…The Fellsway segment is little-described on this Metro Boston thread. In my "Cyclist's Guide to the Metroverse" it's in the northern suburb sector, but not even mentioned. It's actually a distinct subsector, mostly comprised of the towns of Malden, Melrose, and Medford (“Meffed”)…

I proceeded up Rte 99 to Rte 60 thorough Malden. On the way I stopped off at the dance joint that my wife and I visit every Saturday night. To me it resembles a speakeasy because behind that industrial looking door inside the Jackson Street parking structure is a festive and well-appointed ballroom, with live music, a great dance floor, and cheap but good drinks. Just say, “Jim sent me.”

(The dance floor is empty, because we arrived early.)

I then rode further on Rte 60 and turned north on Fellsway East (as opposed to Fellsway West). Both Fellsway routes are pleasant slightly uphill northbound roads, both mostly through the wooded Middlesex Fells, and quiet Malden-Melrose neighborhoods.

Near the end of the Fellsway, I got totally, but pleasantly disoriented, even though with a map check I convinced myself I was on the right track (but in the wrong direction). I did about a 5 mile loop through pleasant Melrose including Main Street. Even though I had ridden Main St northbound a few times, it was a total jamais vu as I rode south. On this ride I didn’t see many fully-kitted cyclists until Lexington, though I did get passed by this well-organized paceline, but I couldn’t get all five riders in one shot.

I also passed a nice-looking Restaurant on Main St called Bobby C’s. After the ride I googled it and to my delight they offered an acapella show with the well-known North Shore Acapella. If I ever get a Wednesday off, that will be a destination, though Wednesdays are also big ballroom dance nights too.

When I arrived back in Malden, my sense of direction became clear, so I re-traced my route through Melrose, on to Stoneham to take Montvale Ave to Woburn…
Though this “Metro Boston” thread is very metrowestcentric, IMO Metro Boston is centered on Kenmore Square and encompasses Boston in all directions for an as yet unspecified distance (the farthest post was from Seattle I think). In fact, IMO:

Boston = Hub of the Universe + Metro Boston = “Metroverse”

…Thank God for this forum, and the fact that I can at least read about other peoples bike adventures...
+10. I recently posted about this Metro Boston thread on the Fifty-Plus subforum:

…Finally, no apologies needed for your (not too) long post. I like to write up my rides, as do others on a local discussion thread here in Boston, and for me it’s more a journal for myself, than for the amusement of other subscribers, though I hope others would find it interesting. Of course we in Metro Boston all know the region, and each other, at least electronically, so we are a ready receptive audience for each other.

I have thought of that thread as the cycling equivalent of “apres-ski” after a day on the slopes, where we gather to exchange stories, routes, photos, ribbing, and (?) tall tales. Similarly, see also ”A Chronicle of the 50+ Annual Rides.”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0796.jpg (61.3 KB, 68 views)
DSCN0799.jpg (69.7 KB, 68 views)
DSCN0802.jpg (76.4 KB, 67 views)
DSCN0778.jpg (76.3 KB, 65 views)
DSCN0779.jpg (60.9 KB, 66 views)
Copy of DSCN0776.jpg (44.0 KB, 67 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-03-14 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-03-14, 06:40 AM
rholland1951

Thanks for asking Jim.

House is in Malden over by Fellsway East, so it is not all that far away. Still qualifies as "Metro Boston" I suppose.

The place is coming along nicely. Doing some much needed work before we can move in. As always, new things seem to crop up that need attention.

Hopefully be getting on the bike more once the dust settles (literally).

Gotta admit, I will miss Waverly Square, and the fact that I can hop on the bike and do a quick out and back to Concord, plan to visit often, as BWW is my favorite shop, and I love the ride out to Concord and points west.

Thank God for this forum, and the fact that I can at least read about other peoples bike adventures. Was planning on getting out for a nice long ride tomorrow, but have to be in the recording studio all day.

BTW, you are correct. I have never had a 5 speed FW come apart on me.
Malden puts you at the gates of the North Shore... some good riding to be had if you point your bike North and East... and a quick jaunt through Medford puts you back in Metrowest. Have fun settling in to the new house!

rod
Old 10-04-14, 09:00 AM
sherbornpeddler

Bikes: 3 speeds, mountain, road and recumbent

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 18 Posts
These posts are always fascinating. I've not been riding while recuperating so reading here has been informative and your spirit valuable. With good care I was just rewarded with permission to go for a ride and look forward to contributing a report of a well behaved, short, flat trail ride. Your reports, insight, banter and comradery make it feel like I've been riding the whole time.
Old 10-04-14, 11:55 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler
These posts are always fascinating. I've not been riding while recuperating so reading here has been informative and your spirit valuable. With good care I was just rewarded with permission to go for a ride and look forward to contributing a report of a well behaved, short, flat trail ride. Your reports, insight, banter and comradery make it feel like I've been riding the whole time.
Nice to hear from you sbp, and we look forward to your ride report, myself in particular if it is in the vicinity of Sherborn since I know that area well.

...and as is usual when September rolls around, I've gotten too busy to post about my Saturday rides; three weekends in arrears.

I like to write up my rides, as do others on a local discussion thread here in Boston, and for me it’s more a journal for myself, than for the amusement of other subscribers, though I hope others would find it interesting. Of course we in Metro Boston all know the region, and each other, at least electronically, so we are a ready receptive audience for each other.

I have thought of that thread as the cycling equivalent of “apres-ski” after a day on the slopes, where we gather to exchange stories, routes, photos, ribbing, and (?) tall tales,,,
So I don't forget my early autumn 2014 rides, since my last ride description of searching for Jim’s [jimmuller's] Road on 8/23:
  • 8/30/14 (Labor Day weekend):
    A perfunctory ride from Kenmore Square through Watertown via California Street to Waltham, and then on a former route via Totten Pond Rd, Old Winter Street and Trapelo to Rtes 126, 117 and Merriam Rd to Rice-Oak into Natick, Pond, Rte 16 to Farm and usual route to Norwood. An acquaintance who lives in Wellesley told me Steve Tyler of Aerosmith had live on Pond. It’s a wooded quiet road on the back side of Wellesley College with nice looking houses mostly hidden from the street. About 50 Miles. No pictures because I was time-limited.

• 9/7/14:
    Finally some HHH summery weather. Rode through Quincy to Weymouth and on to Hingham, and up the peninsula to Hull. By about 10 o’clock it was getting uncomfortably hot. I rode down a favorite route on beautiful Rte 228, but about half way I decided to cut it short and went back to Weymouth and on to Braintree. (Some Hingham residents have partially confirmed an earlier version I had heard, that Rte 228 was a favorite drive of Eleanor Roosevelt; previousy I had heard it was Rose Kennedy).

I was headed to Norwood, and if I had gotten to the Braintree (T) station a half hour earlier I would have gone to South Station and taken a Commuter Rail to Norwood, Rather I rode an extra ten difficult miles more than planned, to include a 20 minute rest stop in the shade. About 60 miles, and took a train back to Kenmore.

(Hingham, Hull, and Rte 228)

• 9/13/14:
    I rode the Living Street Alliance Ride:

…A local BF subscriber, Ironwood recently started a thread on the Living Car Free Forum entitled Liveable Streets directed toward Bostonians informing us about an organization, The Liveable Streets Alliance.

I went to the website, and the group is having a fundraising ride this Saturday, September 13 starting at Auburndale Park in Newton, registration at 8:00 AM, first departures at 8:30 AM. There are routes of 4 (kids’), 25 and 40 miles, the last going out towards Lincoln, and a BBQ at the end…

Bravo Jim,
    Very good of you to mention Liveable Streets Alliance. They are a great organization pushing, nudging and herding urban design towards where it is going to go anyway, just sooner and better. They work well with other interest groups and community governments...
    I was in Norwood overnight Friday, so I rode back to Kenmore Sq and picked up the family car to drive to Newton, It was a great route almost entirely enchanted back roads out to Lincoln. I got a late start and couldn’t figure out the forty mile ride, so I did 25. Nice barbecue feast by Blue Ribbon Barbecue. I tried to find sbp there, but no one recognized him from his avatar. I then drove to Norwood to do a few things. Total miles about 40.

(Weston and Aurburndale)

I had been having trouble shifting on the ride, so after driving back to Kenmore, I took my bike to Back Bay Bikes on the corner of Mass Ave and Comm Ave, There was a lot of commotion in front of the bike shop, and I was told a cyclist had just been hit there. Liveable Streets indeed.

• 9/20/14
    I was lucky just to get in a ride from Norwood to Kenmore Square.

My favorite bicycling event is Hub on Wheels …I'll be volunteering and not riding this year but I've ridden it several times…This year I'll be at the volunteer sign in table by the City Hall entrance…

Hub on Wheels was excellent. Weather was perfect and thousands of riders had great rides...A father son team were just two of so many ride marshals that covered the route in support, patched tires and replaced chains. They picked this as one of their last moments together before the son is deployed to the mideast. I hope to see them both ride again next year...
    Nice story sbp. We were downtown around noon on Sunday, so my daughter and I went over to City Hall Plaza and it indeed was festive. Once again though, nobody recognized sherbornpeddler’s avatar.

• 9/27/14

…I hope you [jimmuller] get out for a nice ride today [9/27]; I won’t (can’t) but am engaged in some happy activities...
  • 10/4/14
    I’m in Norwood but I just have my pristine carbon fiber bike and it may be too messy to ride home, and I can take the commuter rail. Tomorrow though on Sunday, from about 2:30 to 5:00 or so, my son and I plan to ride the Minuteman from Arlington to Bedford and back. As usual I’ll be riding the red and white Specialized S-works, and wearing a lemon-yellow cycling vest and a silver-colored helmet. Looks like it may be a nice day, and perhaps some fellow Metroversians may be out.
Attached Images
1 002.jpg (79.3 KB, 65 views)
1 003.jpg (72.0 KB, 63 views)
1.jpg (99.9 KB, 63 views)
1 004.jpg (99.1 KB, 64 views)
1 005.jpg (73.2 KB, 63 views)
1 006.jpg (99.8 KB, 64 views)
1 007.jpg (101.0 KB, 64 views)
1 015.jpg (77.2 KB, 64 views)
DSCN0812.jpg (66.4 KB, 66 views)
1 008.jpg (81.1 KB, 68 views)
1 009.jpg (96.8 KB, 67 views)
1 012.jpg (82.0 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-04-14 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-04-14, 06:47 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Report from MetroBoston, Cape Cod Division
Sharon and I took the tandem down to Cape Cod to ride the CCRT, the autumn version of the 4th year of the semi-annual gathering of some of us who participate in the C&V forum. We met at the trail head in Dennis with the usual mayhem at the start, including installation of fenders for the possible rain (which didn't happen):

Everyone ready? L to R: Top, me, Scott, Pastor Bob, Dave (otg), spiker (trying to hide but too tall to do so), Sharon (my sweetie and stoker on the tandem), Frog (a BF lurker with a great 1955 Raleigh Sport wearing more modern components):

On the trail:

Scott's flat tire, me pumping it back up with our Solibloc vintage pump:

A short stop at Nickerson State Park:

After many miles and lunch, we stopped briefly at Marconi Beach, with a pounding surf in the Atlantic Ocean behind us:

48.87 miles, one flat, no rain, and a great time.
Of course the crowning event occurred at the end. We were swapping parts and stories at the end, all reluctant to leave, and who should show up but Mr. and Mrs. sherbornpeddler! What a coincidence. He was on his first ride since being off the bike for a while. We gabbed for a while longer and eventually they took off down the trail and we hit the road.

It was a great day!

Last edited by jimmuller; 10-04-14 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10-04-14, 07:11 PM
sherbornpeddler

Nice ride today out on the Cape. Getting on a bike for the first time in 11 weeks was nice. Just by chance who did my wife and I bump into but the Vintage bike gang including Jim and Sharon, MetroBoston Royalty. Just coincidence but magical. I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate than to meet this group and in particular these two good people I so much admire.
Attached Images
image.jpg (80.7 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by sherbornpeddler; 10-05-14 at 11:13 AM. Reason: tense
Old 10-04-14, 08:13 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Nice ride today out on the Cape. ...Just coincidence but magical. I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate than to meet this group and in particular these two good people I so much admire.
Thank you for such nice words. You are too kind. I assure you that the best part of our day was seeing you and hearing that you are getting back on the bike. Such a great and wonderful surprise!
Old 10-05-14, 06:27 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Ride into the North End, thought I'd miss the rain, but...

Family portrait on Linear Park:

I stop for red lights. Not this one though. Something big going up on the roof of South Station:

North End cobbles:

The big iPhone 6 near the Garden makes me laugh for some reason:
[

Bridal Party photo along the Charles:

And the rain makes the leaves even more slippery. Lots of Hubways out and about though:

The final climblet on the way home:

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 03-06-18 at 10:36 AM. Reason: photobucket
Old 10-05-14, 10:40 AM
sherbornpeddler

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Ride into the North End, thought I'd miss the rain, but...

Family portrait on Linear Park:

I stop for red lights. Not this one though. Something big going up on the roof of South Station:

North End cobbles:

The big iPhone 6 near the Garden makes me laugh for some reason:

Bridal Party photo along the Charles:

And the rain makes the leaves even more slippery. Lots of Hubways out and about though:

The final climblet on the way home:

-mr. bill
Mr. B, your snapshots are so good in both subject and timing that it is like being there. I rattled on the cobbles and felt the last climb.
Old 10-05-14, 11:01 AM
rholland1951

Nice ride today out on the Cape. Getting on a bike for the first time in 11 weeks was nice. J
Hurrah!

rod
Old 10-05-14, 05:36 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

mr_bill, nice pics. How were those cobblestones? I really enjoy seeing parts of the city I don't get an opportunity to ride.

Sharon wanted to go out again today so we did 31.85 miles. Today was definitely autumnal, with cool dry air.

Then I spent the afternoon hanging a microwave over the stove and finding why the tandem's rear wheel has been going soft. The tube had a tiny, tiny, tiny leak. Fixed that, cleaned up the bike a little. I need to clean up the Peugeot for commuting, and also fix its own go-soft rear tire. No time left, no energy left. So I'll ride the Raleigh tomorrow.

Find the bike in the pizza:

Last edited by jimmuller; 10-05-14 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-05-14, 08:52 PM
Bishbike

Bikes: 2002 Bianchi Eros, 2013 Peter Mooney Custom

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Bishbike,

FYA, as a cyclist in Malden, and a musician (from My Magical (and Musical) Mystery Tour [including Malden and Melrose], Saturday, August 23):
JfB, that is a strange place for a dance hall!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.