Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

2014 Race Results Thread

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2014 Race Results Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-14, 09:22 AM
ips0803

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He came over and talked to us after the race because I rode up with an ABRT guy (Chris, whose wheel you were on for a while).

It was his first race back after a broken collarbone lol
Old 07-07-14, 09:25 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by jmikami
As for me, I nabbed a 2nd at our weekend crit in the master 1/2/3 (28 riders) and 3rd in our weekday master 1/2/3 circuit race (43 riders) last week. For those that prefer TLDR posts ... keep reading.

... second race was much more fun and ended slightly better. The course was tight at the top, then had a fast easy corner into a 3 block downhill headwind, then a 2 block slight rise followed by 3 corners to the finish, just under 1k with 6 corners. Basically get to the front in the headwind, sprint up the hill and then hold on through the corners to the finish.

I again started at the back to feel out the group and ensure I had plenty of space incase of any mishaps. After spending 50% of the race at the back and watching attack after attack come back I broke free of my mental block to move through the group and made my effort. Unlucky for me I was not able to get all the way to the front on the first go and had to sit just inside the top 10 going through the corners, but the group kept it safe.

I was at the front and assisting with the chase efforts by my second lap of effort, but I was not able to launch a counter move as I did the year before at the same point in the race. It seemed like a small break would work, but I just could not find enough in the tank to get a winning effort going. So after a number of laps at/near the front I finally needed a recharge and went to the back to let them sort it out. Just my luck a number of laps latter a strong break of two went up the road. As they were dangling just a few seconds off the front and I finally found my nerve to move back up with 5 to go.

Again it took two laps to get to the front, but as soon as I hit the front it looked scattered. I was not really sure what was going on but it seemed like while I was at the front of the group for the final 3 laps riders kept going and coming back all around me. So while I was pushing a lot of wind, I was also chasing down someone in front of me pretty much for 3 straight laps, so the constant carrot made life much easier and I wasn't really at the front the whole time. Also being at the front I could race my own race and keep things safe on the corners. I caught one rider on the bell, and another into the headwind on the final lap, getting max draft off each one. Then as we went up the hill one of the two lead riders fell off pace and we caught him as well. We were unable to catch the final rider, and since I made it to the top of the hill first, I was able to control it through the corners and take the pack sprint for 2nd.

As I looked at my power meter after the race, I hit (actually smashed) my max power numbers for the year and overall for every time span between 2 minutes and 40 minutes. Wow, I guess I was going harder than I thought the whole time, it seemed like an easy race and I felt like I was under control the whole time, but at least for my power meter I have never raced that hard ever. So while I missed out on the win, it feels even better that my training is putting me exactly where I hoped, and actually a little in front of where I wanted to be at this time of year. Onto the next race.
Nice job on the 2nd place jmikami. That was a fast race on a tight course.

I was in the same race, and it was my first crit in 5 years so I was a bit nervous going in. jmikami described the course, but I'll add that it also had a fair number of potholes and a big crack across one corner where there was a crash in the final lap.

I spent the first 15 minutes or so at the back getting comfortable and watching constant attacks go and come back up front. With only 30ish riders in the field there wasn't a bad accordion effect at the back and the group was riding smoothly. After that I worked my way up front over the course of a few laps, then seeing a group of 2 up the road both from big teams, I attacked to try and bridge, but ended up bringing back the break with the pack in tow. I fell back a few spots to rest a couple laps, then went again with another attack that didn't get anywhere. After that I dropped to the back again to recover.

With about 6 laps to go I went back to the front and just before I got there the winning break of 2 went up the road - they had a known strong break rider, and represented the two biggest teams in the race. Over the next few laps they never got more than 8 or 10 seconds on the pack and with 4 to go and 3 to go riders attacked and I slotted on to the 3rd or 4th wheel for a couple laps. The attacks brought the break back a bit and deciding that I didn't like my chances in a finishing sprint (but also knowing I would not likely survive to the finish), I attacked with 2 to go hoping I could bridge. I glanced back 1/2 a lap later to make sure I had separation and had a pretty good gap so I gave it all I had but couldn't quite make it to the pair off the front. I was the last guy jmikami caught into the headwind on the last lap and safely drifted to the back of the pack and rolled in spent. I felt great and had a fun race.
Old 07-07-14, 09:36 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
thx man. not sure how the bike is doing, but i broke my collarbone, 5 ribs, and some bones in my spine.. worst part was it took 40 mins for the ambulance to get called!

not a fun day no doubt. coulda been worse, but coulda been a lot better too!
Rub some dirt in it. Trainer right away. Back on the road in 7-10 days. Podium in 4 weeks.

Simple
Old 07-07-14, 09:43 AM
Creatre
These Guys Eat Oreos

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hope you heal up Matt. Ouch man! Lots of serious wrecks in the 33 this year.
Old 07-07-14, 09:43 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Rub some dirt in it. Trainer right away. Back on the road in 7-10 days. Podium in 4 weeks.

Simple
ha thx.

if it was just the collarbone, this would be the plan.

but the ribs/bruising around them make anything that employs core muscles (which is everything in life!) quite painful. I'll be back on those podiums this season tho!

my race videos
Old 07-07-14, 09:57 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
ha thx.

if it was just the collarbone, this would be the plan.

but the ribs/bruising around them make anything that employs core muscles (which is everything in life!) quite painful. I'll be back on those podiums this season tho!
Been there. Not fun. Rode Hood a couple of weeks after breaking one rib. That hurt.

Is the collarbone cracked or snapped? Surgery?

On the plus side there's no shortage of medical experience here for that...
Old 07-07-14, 10:48 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice job everybody. With so many of us down with injury, and Ex starring on Flip That House, it's good to see results coming in.
Old 07-07-14, 10:59 AM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cant keep up. one thread i'm congratulating mattm on an upgrade, in another, i'm telling him to feel better (mattm, sorry you fell down, hope you feel better).
Old 07-07-14, 11:07 AM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Davis crit.. went down hard.

luck has run out!!
ugh. everyone one i talked to said their particular field was a fiasco. heal up man.
Old 07-07-14, 11:16 AM
MDcatV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well done chappy!
Old 07-07-14, 11:28 AM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by MDcatV
I cant keep up. one thread i'm congratulating mattm on an upgrade, in another, i'm telling him to feel better (mattm, sorry you fell down, hope you feel better).
yeah the upgrade is a feel-better gift to myself while i recover. thanks on both accounts!

my race videos
Old 07-07-14, 11:39 AM
MDcatV

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cmh
Nice job on the 2nd place jmikami. That was a fast race on a tight course.

I was in the same race, and it was my first crit in 5 years so I was a bit nervous going in. jmikami described the course, but I'll add that it also had a fair number of potholes and a big crack across one corner where there was a crash in the final lap.

I spent the first 15 minutes or so at the back getting comfortable and watching constant attacks go and come back up front. With only 30ish riders in the field there wasn't a bad accordion effect at the back and the group was riding smoothly. After that I worked my way up front over the course of a few laps, then seeing a group of 2 up the road both from big teams, I attacked to try and bridge, but ended up bringing back the break with the pack in tow. I fell back a few spots to rest a couple laps, then went again with another attack that didn't get anywhere. After that I dropped to the back again to recover.

With about 6 laps to go I went back to the front and just before I got there the winning break of 2 went up the road - they had a known strong break rider, and represented the two biggest teams in the race. Over the next few laps they never got more than 8 or 10 seconds on the pack and with 4 to go and 3 to go riders attacked and I slotted on to the 3rd or 4th wheel for a couple laps. The attacks brought the break back a bit and deciding that I didn't like my chances in a finishing sprint (but also knowing I would not likely survive to the finish), I attacked with 2 to go hoping I could bridge. I glanced back 1/2 a lap later to make sure I had separation and had a pretty good gap so I gave it all I had but couldn't quite make it to the pair off the front. I was the last guy jmikami caught into the headwind on the last lap and safely drifted to the back of the pack and rolled in spent. I felt great and had a fun race.
good to see you racing and posting again cmh!
Old 07-07-14, 01:19 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by save10
ugh. everyone one i talked to said their particular field was a fiasco. heal up man.
And now I'm ok with skipping that race.

Mattm, sorry about the crash, but congrats on cat 1!
Old 07-07-14, 01:19 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
well done chappy!
thanks, Matt. Looking forward to seeing you this weekend (decided to do Coppi after all)
Old 07-07-14, 02:25 PM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by aaronmcd
And now I'm ok with skipping that race.

Mattm, sorry about the crash, but congrats on cat 1!
the race is worth doing at least once.. I was fine in it last year and don't remember a crashfest. do it!!

ill be out there again next year.

my race videos
Old 07-07-14, 03:13 PM
hack

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
^Definitely a race worth doing. Fun course and great atmosphere and great crowds all around. Not your average business park crit.
Old 07-07-14, 05:12 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Oh yes, Davis is one of my favorite crits on the calendar. It's fast, and technical. Honestly usually one of the safer ones. I would say definitely safer then Red Kite.
Old 07-07-14, 11:16 PM
Inquisitor.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thx dudes!

sounds like I'm off the bike 4-6 weeks, not too bad really.

cascade is out but so it goes. I'm glad i try not to take my uninjured moments for granted, makes this phase easier.
Hey Matt, I hope you make a full recovery.
Old 07-08-14, 08:34 AM
sijray21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
I was not feeling so fresh anymore from the earlier efforts, while the other two who bridged up were smarter and probably burned fewer matches (don't think they were in many moves before this one). The goal for me became contribute when possible, and hang on otherwise. I skipped a few turns, and cornering skills came in quite handy as I was able to use it to close small gaps that opened while rotating. The lap cards ticked down, and we were told that we had about 5-6 seconds with about 3 laps to go. With one to go, the gap remained steady, and i knew that the break was likely to stay away. I put in some sort of an effort on the back stretch. Didn't have much left in the sprint, but it was enough to hold off 5th place.

Overall very happy with how things turned out given the very rough build up i had this season
Nice work! The outside lines and anywhere near the middle seemed pretty sketchy as a lot of people were bunching due to the cross winds and pinching turns 1 and 4 (more 1 than 4), so I mostly hugged the inside lines. Turn 3 was pretty open on the inside the entire race and I wondered why since the wind was a slight cross coming from the outside. I ended up tail gunning most of the race while getting a couple tows up to the front from anxious racers. This was my first straight 3 race, so I was content with sticking with the group (which I would later regret). I was in the process of moving up through the group with 3 to go, but was caught behind a wreck that happened just after turn one with 2 to go that slowed a lot of people down... my race was done at that point. Sucks, had too much left in the tank and positioned myself poorly.
Old 07-08-14, 08:30 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks.

Sorry to hear that you were caught behind a crash. People were cornering somewhat sketchily, and there really is no reason for that.

what kit were you in? I'm on a Scott Foil with pink bar tapes
Old 07-08-14, 10:48 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
Red Kite, E4 and 3/4
Two pack finishes and a prime. In the first race I was following one guy with 2 to go, switched wheels, and the guy I had been following won. Dammit. I felt good coming around the final lap but as usual I had a horrible position near the back. Managed to follow a guy cutting through the inside of turn 3 as everyone else took it wide and passed a bunch leading into the sprint but not enough and got 16th out of 40ish.

Second race position was also bad but couldn't find a good wheel to follow at all. Should have followed the same guy.. he won again.

Got solicited to join a team. Again. I should probably take one of these offers, but I'm bad with decisions like that!
Hopefully you do. You seem to be on the cusp and a team would hopefully put you over the top.
Old 07-09-14, 07:24 AM
sijray21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
what kit were you in? I'm on a Scott Foil with pink bar tapes
my kit was Black w/Red Accents (one of two Bike Lane riders) - not that there are a lot of black kits with red accents in MABRA or anything... I was on a black/red Felt FA with Black/Red tape bar tape (I also ride a white Ridley Noah with Black/White tape depending on the race). I should have that at Coppi on Saturday. Mmm...Scott Foil... I was lusting over one of those before I got the Noah.
Old 07-09-14, 07:29 AM
ips0803

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MABRA Crits = Blur of Red/Black and Blue/Black/White

Last edited by ips0803; 07-09-14 at 07:36 AM.
Old 07-09-14, 01:29 PM
cmh

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
good to see you racing and posting again cmh!
Thanks - I have been racing a bunch this spring/summer but mostly road races and weeknight circuit races and too busy at work to keep up with bf. It is good to be back in sort of race shape and good to see some great race results from the regulars here.
Old 07-09-14, 09:21 PM
sbs z31

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Set a PR on the local 13k TT, 21min 17sec with a 23.4mph avs on 46/15(fixed gear).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.