Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

SoCal GMR Ride - March 8 - UPDATED DATE

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

SoCal GMR Ride - March 8 - UPDATED DATE

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-15, 11:34 AM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I'm trying to think of his name... it's escaping me (I know his real name, can't come up with his forum name) parks at Manooshian park for exactly that reason - a short warmup. He participated in the famous "where's jsigone" ride where jeff made it up the hill in 50 minutes. Volosong! That's it!
now that you mention it, I haven't seen him on here in a while. Maybe you scared him away after that ride Hope all is well w/ @volosong
Old 01-23-15, 11:40 AM
psalm
A square going nowhere

Bikes: CAAD 8 & CAAD 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
OK, other parties not heard from yet: @iTrek & the missus @psalm @tunavic

C'mon people!

I'm tempted to rope my son into coming but since it's the day after our "race the base" he may pretend his legs are sore or something.
I've been dealing with a nerve injury on my left leg. Don't ask how it happened, not really sure, but I have been in extreme pain. Been laid out since the first of the year. I'm hoping to be able to walk without pain by March 1st!
Old 01-23-15, 11:43 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by psalm
I've been dealing with a nerve injury on my left leg. Don't ask how it happened, not really sure, but I have been in extreme pain. Been laid out since the first of the year. I'm hoping to be able to walk without pain by March 1st!
HTFU.

Go find yourself an acupuncturist, or if money's tight, just have your wife stick you in the leg with steak knives. She is a nurse, right? I'm sure it's safe.
Old 01-23-15, 01:11 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by psalm
I'm [strike]hoping to be able to walk without pain by[/strike] going to ride with you all on March 1st!
FIFY.

Sorry to hear it. Hope you feel better soon.

And @TrojanHorse - I don't recommend that his wife poke him with needles. The needles she has access to have nasty stuff that comes out of them. Makes you sick and all your hair falls out.
Old 01-23-15, 02:10 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
FIFY.

Sorry to hear it. Hope you feel better soon.

And @TrojanHorse - I don't recommend that his wife poke him with needles. The needles she has access to have nasty stuff that comes out of them. Makes you sick and all your hair falls out.
That's why I said steak knives and not needles. You don't know where those needles have been, it's not safe!
Old 01-23-15, 03:37 PM
LGHT

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL3, Nishiki Pro Hybrid SL

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pamestique
I know everyone has their own way of doing things.... I break things up. My plan is the Shack. Respectible for a first timer. If I feel good, will keep riding. There is no shame in admitting legs are done and its time to turn around. I would like to reach the Village but I won't beat myself up if I don't... plus I already know my poor old arthritic hands are going to suffer on the long descent... the downhill bothers more than the climbing... no that's a lie... both ways bother me!
Great idea, I think I'm going to do the same thing. I just hope I can at least make it to the shack....
Old 01-23-15, 04:13 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LGHT
Great idea, I think I'm going to do the same thing. I just hope I can at least make it to the shack....
Again, we are first timers... have no idea what to expect, what happens happens... use it as a guide and learning tool.

About 5 years back I did a week long mountain bike trip in AZ - N Rim of Grand Canyon. It was rated "beginner-intermediate" level. Well I mountain bike all the time; do some pretty long rides and have some technical skills, this should be in my wheel house. I was the last one in every single day...by hours! I joke "me and my bike hiked the Grand Canyon". I wore out the soles of my bike shoes walking. I beat myself up pretty bad after the trip for taking it for granted... that said, since then, I have done some pretty incredible things. This might be the hardest thing I do in the last 10 years or so, but I am just going to get my cadence going and enjoy the experience... if I go 5 miles, well that's 5 miles up a mountain and next time I will try for 8... whatever.

And remember, I walked the frigging Grand Canyon... if you have to, walk to the Shack!

I will be right behind you!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 01-23-15, 04:14 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by LGHT
Just out of curiosity, do you know what gearing you have? Maybe you've said, but I've forgotten.

And I love hearing the comments of "I hope I make it to the shack". I was the same way. Every first-timer I've ridden with has said it. I think everyone has made it, too! It's not a race. You can stop as often as necessary. Enjoy the view. Enjoy the company. And enjoy the ride.
Old 01-23-15, 04:58 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
On long climbs I need to find the right rhythm. It varies based on the day, the climb, how long I've already been riding, and who knows what else. Some days I can't exactly nail it down but when I do then a climb goes pretty well, the climbing speed will end up whatever it turns out to be.

I've not done GMR or GRR before. I did the OC Wheelmen fall metric from Redlands to Oak Glen, that's about the longest sustained climb for me so far. I'm running a 50/34 compact and 12-30 cassette.
Old 01-23-15, 05:15 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jimincalif
I'm running a 50/34 compact and 12-30 cassette.
I'm running compact with a 12-28. I may go to a 12-30 before this ride just because I'm out of shape and even when I was a little less out of shape, I still wanted a bit higher cadence when climbing.
Old 01-23-15, 05:18 PM
TJClay

Bikes: Domane Project One, 6 series, Ui2

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The one time I did it we started at San Dimas Canyon Park, about 4 miles from the start. After reaching the village and taking a well deserved break we returned on Mt Baldy rd and Foothill. If I recall it about 40 miles round trip and about 4,300ft of climbing.
BTW I'm a definite maybe for the 1st.
Old 01-23-15, 05:40 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I was wondering about returning via Mt Baldy Road. I assume there would be more traffic and it is a bit steeper than GMR/GRR? Maybe more scenic on GMR/GRR? It think the ups and downs add another 1100 feet or so of climbing on the return according to ridewithgps. I've only driven up there a couple of times so I am not real familiar with them.
Old 01-23-15, 05:59 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TJClay
Inked. I'll add you to the list!

Last edited by PhotoJoe; 01-24-15 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-23-15, 06:25 PM
LGHT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
Just out of curiosity, do you know what gearing you have? Maybe you've said, but I've forgotten.
I believe the tarmac is a 10-speed, 11-28t with a 52/36 based on the website. I know my Roubaix was not geared for climbs and I was horrible at climbs using that one.
Old 01-23-15, 06:41 PM
Ursa Minor

Bikes: rivendell romulus terratrike rover

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm also a definite maybe. If I go I'll be riding 22/42 front and 11-42 cassette. Lol most of the time I ride old man speed
(I'm 65) like 3-4 mph uphill in my lowest gears.

Charlie
Old 01-23-15, 09:40 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
I'm bringing the new Domane with 11 SPD 11-28 cassette. My Madone has a 10 SPD 12-30 cassette. Will see how much I miss those two extra teeth.
Old 01-24-15, 12:18 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by TJClay
The one time I did it we started at San Dimas Canyon Park, about 4 miles from the start. After reaching the village and taking a well deserved break we returned on Mt Baldy rd and Foothill. If I recall it about 40 miles round trip and about 4,300ft of climbing.
Really? You've only done it once and I happened to run into you at the shack? Wow. I figured you for a repeat customer.
@jimincalif - you can definitely go back down Baldy Road, and people that live in the area do it. If you are from further away and park at the base of GMR, there's not much point IMO. GRR and GMR are much nicer cycling than Baldy road and then foothill. Returning on GRR does add more climbing to your day but aside from the rather steep climb to get OUT of the village, it's pretty tolerable. If you need to get back to your car sooner, Baldy is the faster route.
Old 01-25-15, 12:17 AM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
The only time I've ridden in the area, we parked at the Metrolink in Claremont and rode up 39 to the East Fork to GRR. We came back on Mt. Baldy Rd.

https://www.strava.com/activities/148432611
Old 01-25-15, 01:22 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by tunavic
The only time I've ridden in the area, we parked at the Metrolink in Claremont and rode up 39 to the East Fork to GRR. We came back on Mt. Baldy Rd.

https://www.strava.com/activities/148432611
Well, gee whillikers - you beat Freddie Rodriguez. You know, the US Champion Road racer several years. Are you sure you "rode" it? 24 mph up a 4% grade is pretty impressive too. I reckon there's a motor in that Pino frame.
Old 01-25-15, 01:26 AM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Didn't ride a portion where I got a flat and the SAG wagon drove me up a ways
Old 01-26-15, 09:44 AM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ursa Minor
I'm also a definite maybe. If I go I'll be riding 22/42 front and 11-42 cassette. Lol most of the time I ride old man speed
(I'm 65) like 3-4 mph uphill in my lowest gears.

Charlie
Charlie... I am 64, so not much more behind you. I will be happy to ride 3 - 4 miles up the hill.

Starting my training. Saturday did a variation of the PV drives ride. Rode the Strand for warmup and then up to Malaga Cove and PV Drive West. I got passed by 10 other cyclists. How discouraging! Stopped at the Lighthouse just to check out the whale watching. Continue through Porteguese Bend which is always interesting. Instead of turning left on Western, we went down towards Pt. Fermin; took surface streets (after doing a little off roading) through San Pedro, pass Ports 'O Call and then climbed up PV Drive North to Rollings Hills RD. down that and then took a lower (and very pleasant; not hilly) route back to the car parked in Torrance. I would like to say piece of cake. I suffered quite a bit in the later climbs. Of course, it started getting warm and heat just zaps away my energy. But no excuse, need to start some serious road riding or I am not going to make it to the Shack! Kathy of course, just sat and waited for me on most of the climbs... busy posting on Facebook. Man, I hate her!

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.

Last edited by Pamestique; 01-26-15 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-27-15, 12:40 PM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
These are some of the twisty bits of Glendora Ridge Road. All kinds of fun.
Sometimes it's all foggy and gloomy in Glendora so you start out in low-light conditions, rather "moist" air too.
But then you climb above the cloud and the whole mountain seems to change as you pop up into the sunshine.
Typical bunch of riders on their way up GMR/GRR.
This is the descent from The Shed on your way back down the mountain.
The Real Goal. Each Saturday and Sunday morning at Mount Baldy Lodge, Missy bakes one pan of the Very Best Cinnamon Rolls on this planet. Great fuel for the way back (or the Ski Lift climb for TrojanHorse).

We rode GMR/GRR last Sunday. We saw Six cars, Eleven motorcycles, countless bicycles!

Rick / OCRR (Too skinny for this group but I thought you'd like to see some photos, esp. if you'd never been there.).

PS: Pam, I'm 64 as well . . . getting older and slower!

Photo Credits: 2nd and 3rd photos by Chuck Bramwell, all the rest by Victor Cooper (Biker395 on bikeforums.net)

Last edited by Rick@OCRR; 01-27-15 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-27-15, 02:09 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Rick for the photos... not certain if there make me want to ride... or stand home and watch TV! And as much as those rolls look inviting... not certain I have the legs to take a long break and then try and climb out of the Village... best I wait until after the ride to fuel up!

Old 01-27-15, 02:35 PM
LGHT

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR

This is the descent from The Shed on your way back down the mountain.
Wow those look like fun!
Old 01-27-15, 03:06 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
up or down????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.