Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hot r Not

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Hot r Not

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-17, 09:00 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by lsberrios1
That bike has potential to be extremely hot. I had a friend build that frame with Campy Chorus 11, Roval CL60s and special edition Chicane saddle / Cork Tape and it looked incredible.. Gumwalls. I feel like the DA9100 won't compliment the gold on the frame. The Campy carbon stuff would look incredible with the BORA Ultras.
You know I did consider Campy drivetrain but decided to stick with Shimano so I can cross use my wheels on multiple bikes. I have a pair of Zipp 404 NSW's on my 2017 Giant Advanced SL and can't wait to compare the wheels on the same bike. Fun times ahead.
Old 02-13-17, 09:12 PM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by anon`
Having just spent a little more, I think I'll have another go at this one. Here's my first post, about five months ago, for the sake of comparison.

And here's the same bike today. Please forgive the crappy lighting; the sum was in the wrong location, and I only have one good fence to shoot against. (Same goes for the rogue wood sorrel.)

Anyway, since my first trip through, I've replaced the factory Prologo saddle with an Arione CX, which I think I'll keep. I've also swapped the matte black, 90mm/-6° FSA stem with a much more colorway-appropriate 110mm/-17° Zipp Service Course SL stem, and traded the satin-on-matte cages for glossy B&W. Stem was also dropped 2cm, now resting on the dust cover.

Still painfully aware of the wonky right shifter (new bars are next up; will fix that then, I suppose), and the Rule 45 escape chute of spacers, but that's only temporary. Just long enough to make sure I can still ride the thing, before I have the stem cut down. And of course, the factory RS10 wheels. Not sure what to do about those just yet. Because nice carbon rims are more than I paid for the whole bike to begin with!

I like it. Kudos.
Old 02-13-17, 09:34 PM
Da Reef

Bikes: Tarmac, Allez Sprint, Nashbar beater

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Noctilux.95
Building a 2016 Specialized Allez DSW Sprint. Everything is set, just waiting for spanking new Dura Ace 9100 drivetrain to arrive.
I really like the gold anodized frames. Tried hard to find one and jumped on the purple anodized when they came out. I agree with Isberrios1, with those rims go Campy.
Old 02-13-17, 09:50 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Originally Posted by Da Reef
I really like the gold anodized frames. Tried hard to find one and jumped on the purple anodized when they came out. I agree with Isberrios1, with those rims go Campy.
I should just start over and buy this
Attached Images
Old 02-14-17, 05:41 AM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Bikes: N+3 dependents

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
Figured I’d go ahead and throw my very humble bike into the fray...

I’m a new forum member, but I’ve lurked long enough to know that it may engender *mixed* emotions…

(all black, tanwalls, white tape + black saddle, etc.)

But… c'est la vie, I like riding it.

Old 02-14-17, 05:49 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
Originally Posted by gurk700
i have so many photos of the frame now i'm experimenting haha. I've gradually changed this bike over the years. But yeah it's a stylized photo and doesn't show much detail.

Here's one with 3t post.
hot.
Old 02-14-17, 06:11 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vinuneuro
Not my bike, it's from the thread below. One of the most beautiful bikes I've ever seen, including the tires.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...-staining.html

Building a 2016 Specialized Allez DSW Sprint. Everything is set, just waiting for spanking new Dura Ace 9100 drivetrain to arrive.

black bike > ronald mcdonald scheme
Old 02-14-17, 06:13 AM
redfooj
pluralis majestatis

Bikes: a DuhRosa

Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You know I did consider Campy drivetrain but decided to stick with Shimano so I can cross use my wheels on multiple bikes. I have a pair of Zipp 404 NSW's on my 2017 Giant Advanced SL and can't wait to compare the wheels on the same bike. Fun times ahead.
i swap 11sp shimano with 11sp campagnolo wheels. chorus vs ultegra. both short cage derailleur. dont even have to touch the barrel adjuster... glides up and down the cassette w/o a problem.
Old 02-14-17, 08:07 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Succhia Ruota
Figured I’d go ahead and throw my very humble bike into the fray...

I’m a new forum member, but I’ve lurked long enough to know that it may engender *mixed* emotions…

(all black, tanwalls, white tape + black saddle, etc.)

But… c'est la vie, I like riding it.

It's a perfect race bike, but the stem angle and top tube slope kinda clash. Also the things you mentioned about tape/saddle.

Why do you have a reflector on there? You might as well have a blinky or nothing at all, reflectors are basically worthless. Also I hope you were filming a race with the camera still mounted, training rides aren't very exciting
Old 02-14-17, 08:20 AM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Originally Posted by Dan333SP
Why do you have a reflector on there? You might as well have a blinky or nothing at all, reflectors are basically worthless. Also I hope you were filming a race with the camera still mounted, training rides aren't very exciting
Ha, yes... well having a reflector would be ridiculous... it's a blinky for when riding in traffic.

And I just keep the camera mounted with a lens cap on it when not in use. With two young children, small things tend to disappear around the house!
Old 02-14-17, 08:39 AM
Noctilux.95

Originally Posted by redfooj
black bike > ronald mcdonald scheme
Personally I see it more of an Ironman color scheme than Ronald McDonald
Old 02-14-17, 08:40 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
chainreaction has "Camel Beige" bar tape made by Deda that is cheap and would match those tyres nicely.
Old 02-14-17, 08:47 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Wheel magnet has to go.

Pics of the GoPro mount please.
Old 02-14-17, 12:16 PM
Oracle7775
Five and Dime

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Felt: Not. Sorry, I'm in the "black bikes are boring" camp. Also, the blue bits are too few. If you're going to add pops of color, go full bore.
TreK: Close, but not. Headset spacers, and mostly black, although I like the red highlights.
Red/black S-works: Not. Nothing to set this bike apart from the million other Specialized bikes posted on this thread.
Allez: I like that you're going bold with the colors, but I'm not sure if the red and gold work well together. Reserve judgment until bike is completed.
Old 02-14-17, 12:22 PM
Oracle7775
Five and Dime

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
chainreaction has "Camel Beige" bar tape made by Deda that is cheap and would match those tyres nicely.
Let's see, what can I do to make my all-black-bike even more bland? I know! Beige bar tape! ( I keed I keed!)

White tape is for leaders.
Old 02-14-17, 01:16 PM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Wheel magnet has to go.
I know it's visually off-putting, but yet, so functional. Actually I'd love to upgrade to the hub-mounted speed sensor, but like I mentioned earlier, two kids, so I tend to be pretty cheap.

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Pics of the GoPro mount please.

It's the Bar Fly 4.

Originally Posted by Oracle7775
Let's see, what can I do to make my all-black-bike even more bland? I know! Beige bar tape! ( I keed I keed!)
Yeah, when I was building it up, I tried out a couple of different tan/beige tapes but neither matched the tires exactly. Ended up looking awful so I went with white. Has more *pop* anyway.

Fake it 'till you make it I say!
Old 02-14-17, 01:49 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
It's the Bar Fly 4.
The Bar Fly is ample penance for the wheel magnet and a righteous choice.

I'm sure you will get to the magnet when you can.

-Tim-
Old 02-14-17, 02:11 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Felt: Not. Sorry, I'm in the "black bikes are boring" camp. Also, the blue bits are too few. If you're going to add pops of color, go full bore.
TreK: Close, but not. Headset spacers, and mostly black, although I like the red highlights.
Red/black S-works: Not. Nothing to set this bike apart from the million other Specialized bikes posted on this thread.
Allez: I like that you're going bold with the colors, but I'm not sure if the red and gold work well together. Reserve judgment until bike is completed.
this.
Old 02-14-17, 02:37 PM
anon`

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10-4

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
I like it. Kudos.
Thank you

Not happy with the really atrocious lighting on the last pic; here's a slightly better one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20170214CAAD10.jpg (98.3 KB, 219 views)
Old 02-14-17, 02:50 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
I know it's visually off-putting, but yet, so functional. Actually I'd love to upgrade to the hub-mounted speed sensor, but like I mentioned earlier, two kids, so I tend to be pretty cheap.
You have a garmin. You don't actually need a speed sensor (outdoors at least).
Old 02-14-17, 02:54 PM
raisinberry777

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
@anon` The attached image is a bit small, but your right shifter hoods looks pointed down. Look at the transition from bar to hood - it should be flat, as it seems to be for the left shifter.
Old 02-14-17, 03:02 PM
anon`

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10-4

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raisinberry777
@anon` The attached image is a bit small, but your right shifter hoods looks pointed down. Look at the transition from bar to hood - it should be flat, as it seems to be for the left shifter.
It is. Been that way for awhile, and I stupidly forgot to fix it when I re-wrapped the bars last year. Planning to go to a wider bar sometime this year; will correct it then.

I don't have the best track record of linking images hosted elsewhere on this forum. But, if this works... here's a slightly higher-res version:

Old 02-14-17, 03:18 PM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by anon`
It is. Been that way for awhile, and I stupidly forgot to fix it when I re-wrapped the bars last year. Planning to go to a wider bar sometime this year; will correct it then.

I don't have the best track record of linking images hosted elsewhere on this forum. But, if this works... here's a slightly higher-res version:

Makes me want to get a white saddle.
Old 02-14-17, 03:27 PM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts

The felt: I'm not bothered with the all black fad. Though it would look better with gumwalls. Pretty hot, though.
Trek: Bontrager stem and wheels of a different finish kill it for me.
Red/black S-works: not, but would ride 10/10
Allez: No gold please. Thanks.
Old 02-14-17, 04:19 PM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Originally Posted by nycphotography
You have a garmin. You don't actually need a speed sensor (outdoors at least).
You're absolutely right of course... I've just found that GPS-only speed can be a little laggy and sometimes erratic - random large jumps in measurements, 0mph on steep climbs, unreliable auto-pause, etc. Little niggles.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.