Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

How To Live A Car Free Life

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-17, 11:32 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

Here's a good video about a YouTuber named Ryan Van Duzer who is carfree. I've subscribed to his channel because he's a positive force in this life where there's so much negative. Ryan is carfree and probably not very rich but he's wealthy in life experience.

Living carfree in a cold state like Colorado doesn't stop him at all. He simply dresses appropriate and pulls a bike trailer. I discovered his channel this evening and can't wait to see all of his content for the past 10 years! One of the reasons I don't post much on bike forums is because there is so much good content on YouTube these days and it keeps getting better.

There's not much information in Ryan's video on how to be carfree but it doesn't matter. He's living life to the fullest and doing it without a car.

Last edited by Dahon.Steve; 12-04-17 at 06:54 PM.
Old 12-04-17, 12:19 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
Here's a good video about a YouTuber named Ryan Van Duzer who is carfree. I've subscribed to his channel because he's a positive force in this life where there's so much negative. Ryan is carfree and probably not very rich but he's wealthy in life experience.

Living carfree in a cold state like Colorado doesn't stop him at all. He simply dresses appropriate and pull a bike trailer. I discovered his channel this evening and can't wait to see all of his content for the past 10 years! One of the reasons I don't post much on bike forums is because there is so much good content on YouTube these days and it keeps getting better.

There's not much information in Ryan's video on how to be carfree but it doesn't matter. He's living life to the fullest and doing it without a car.

https://youtu.be/fo2m0sndcjQ
I like this guy, but then I like positive, energetic people. Many people always find something negative to ridicule and/or reject people who are positive and excited like this. They are defending their status quo, whatever that may be, and their autonomy. Until they learn to reason beyond their status quo assumptions and make the choice to act on that reason, they will just keep finding new ways to see negativity in progressive ideas like LCF, e.g. like at the beginning of the video when the guy had to defend himself against the idea that he was a 'car-hater.'
Old 12-04-17, 07:42 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I suspect he's actually doing quiet well for himself.
Old 12-04-17, 07:44 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts

Living carfree in a cold state like Colorado doesn't stop him at all. He simply dresses appropriate and pulls a bike trailer. I discovered his channel this evening and can't wait to see all of his content for the past 10 years! One of the reasons I don't post much on bike forums is because there is so much good content on YouTube these days and it keeps getting better.

https://youtu.be/fo2m0sndcjQ
WOW...!!! That video explains and IS/could be the/a reason this living car "free" could/can work for most people...

Last edited by 350htrr; 12-04-17 at 08:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-04-17, 09:04 PM
Dahon.Steve

Originally Posted by tandempower
I like this guy, but then I like positive, energetic people. Many people always find something negative to ridicule and/or reject people who are positive and excited like this. They are defending their status quo, whatever that may be, and their autonomy. Until they learn to reason beyond their status quo assumptions and make the choice to act on that reason, they will just keep finding new ways to see negativity in progressive ideas like LCF, e.g. like at the beginning of the video when the guy had to defend himself against the idea that he was a 'car-hater.'
I like the part where he states, bikes are freedom. He's not just about bikes but more of an adventure loving goofball. Watching his videos makes you want to get outside period. Since it's getting cold, I haven't been outside a lot but his videos motivated me to brave it this weekend!
Old 12-04-17, 09:06 PM
Dahon.Steve

Originally Posted by Machka
Now that I've seen a number of his videos, he is doing quite well.
Old 12-04-17, 09:48 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts

Should be. He works for the travel channel, NPR and the History Channel. He seems to be young and single. He also must fly a lot to visit some of the remote places he films and writes about. Though he has made several long distance trips by bike. Sill a producer, contributor and writer and single he might be doing better than most of us.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Van_Duzer
Old 12-04-17, 09:59 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
Should be. He works for the travel channel, NPR and the History Channel. He seems to be young and single. He also must fly a lot to visit some of the remote places he films and writes about. Though he has made several long distance trips by bike. Sill a producer, contributor and writer and single he might be doing better than most of us.

Somethings not right about that Wiki article since it says twice that he was born on
January 21, 1979. Perhaps just a typo. Anyone know how old he really is?
Old 12-04-17, 10:47 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Somethings not right about that Wiki article since it says twice that he was born on
January 21, 1979. Perhaps just a typo. Anyone know how old he really is?
Somewhere I read that he was 38.
Old 12-04-17, 10:49 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

And as for how well he's doing ...

https://networthpost.com/net-worth/r...zer-net-worth/
Old 12-05-17, 03:50 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Can ya spare a dime brudda
Old 12-05-17, 04:38 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 89 Posts
Somewhere I read that he was 38.
The date of birth is also on his Youtube page. He is 38.
Old 12-05-17, 08:27 PM
Dahon.Steve

Originally Posted by 350htrr
WOW...!!! That video explains and IS/could be the/a reason this living car "free" could/can work for most people...
I guess this makes him the Bike Forums car free hero of the month! LOL. It's rare to find a man who's willing to go public with the fact they never owned a car.
Old 12-05-17, 08:34 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
I guess this makes him the Bike Forums car free hero of the month! LOL. It's rare to find a man who's willing to go public with the fact they never owned a car.
I actually think there are more and more, of that kind of persons out there than one thinks... Especially people who think the status quo is right. and the only way it should be for everyone...
Old 12-10-17, 09:35 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
My millennial son has never owned a car; hell, he can barely drive, lol. I wouldn't insure him! He bikes everywhere or uses public transit. He has zero desire to use a car. He's not the only one of his friends who is like that - it's a different generation and they are not tethered to autos like previous gens.
Old 12-10-17, 09:56 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
it's a different generation and they are not tethered to autos like previous gens.
Only among certain cohorts in large urban areas. I work at a large university and the number of parking garages is ever growing.
Old 12-11-17, 01:18 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
Only among certain cohorts in large urban areas. I work at a large university and the number of parking garages is ever growing.
It shouldn't surprise anybody that people (whatever their ages) are becoming carfree only in areas where it is feasible to do so. Like areas with good transit, decent pedestrian and bike infrastructure, and relative lack of sprawl. If they quit building all those parking garages and put the money into sensible infrastructure, many more people--young and old--would make a free and reasonable choice to drive less or not at all.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 12-11-17, 09:01 AM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
It shouldn't surprise anybody that people (whatever their ages) are becoming carfree only in areas where it is feasible to do so. Like areas with good transit, decent pedestrian and bike infrastructure, and relative lack of sprawl. If they quit building all those parking garages and put the money into sensible infrastructure, many more people--young and old--would make a free and reasonable choice to drive less or not at all.
Yeah... nothing takes the joy out of walking to a destination or riding to work than having to negotiate streets clearly designed ONLY for high-speed traffic. Unfortunately, there's just too much of it...

If there was more attention paid to alternate modes of transportation, you would see more young people making the decisions Ryan made at 16 years old (ie, do I need the expense of owning an automobile?)
Old 12-12-17, 09:14 PM
Dahon.Steve

Originally Posted by Mobile 155

Interesting.

I had no idea he was famous! Good for him.

He's so famous, Trek gave him a new bike when the used one he purchased broke! I've watched enough of his videos to know he doesn't need a car at all. That man is living life to the fullest.
Old 12-12-17, 09:19 PM
Dahon.Steve

Originally Posted by linberl
My millennial son has never owned a car; hell, he can barely drive, lol. I wouldn't insure him! He bikes everywhere or uses public transit. He has zero desire to use a car. He's not the only one of his friends who is like that - it's a different generation and they are not tethered to autos like previous gens.
I think you might have a point. Ryan Van Duzer is rich enough to buy any car he wants but instead chooses to remain carfree! His videos show you can have a rich life without ever owning a vehicle.

Your son is a good example of the future for millennials. I was listening to news on radio and was informed Generation Z turned 21 and are starting to look for work. Lets hope this trend continues.

The longer you stay car free, the easier it gets. I never wake up thinking for even a second that I'll need to drive anywhere.
Old 12-12-17, 09:28 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

I think you might have a point. Ryan Van Duzer is rich enough to buy any car he wants but instead chooses to remain carfree!
Amazing!

Of course, that choice is making a good income for him ......

I wonder what could possibly be motivating him to remain carfree ...

Last edited by Machka; 12-12-17 at 10:01 PM.
Old 12-13-17, 09:17 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 89 Posts
Amazing!

Of course, that choice is making a good income for him ......

I wonder what could possibly be motivating him to remain carfree ...
Are you saying there's something wrong with being car-light or car-free for economic gain? Weird.
And thirdly, if it saves me a bit of money ... wonderful! More money for travels around the world.
Old 12-13-17, 07:27 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by cooker
Are you saying there's something wrong with being car-light or car-free for economic gain? Weird.
What's weird is you reading things into everything people say.

Did I actually say that? Let me see. Oh look. No ... no I didn't.

Please stop making wild and inaccurate assumptions ... m'kay?
Old 12-13-17, 07:49 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
I think you might have a point. Ryan Van Duzer is rich enough to buy any car he wants but instead chooses to remain carfree! His videos show you can have a rich life without ever owning a vehicle.
More importantly, you can live a rich life without a lot of income by living car-free. A penny saved is a penny earned, literally.
Old 12-13-17, 08:23 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
What's weird is you reading things into everything people say.

Did I actually say that? Let me see. Oh look. No ... no I didn't.

Please stop making wild and inaccurate assumptions ... m'kay?
B-b-but if he didn't "read" intelligent or rational thought into some of the nonsensical postings on this list, who else would serve that function?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.