Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

83 Centurion ProTour 15--Rebuild or Part Out?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-18, 03:48 PM
misctrader

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 14 Posts

I read these are relatively good touring bikes so I decided to pick it up, I got it for $90. Now it was larger than expected, the seat tube measures 24". Is there a market for these bikes? Considering its condition, would it be best to part it out or resell it after a rebuild? All consumables would need to be purchased at retail price as I don't buy these in bulk. I'm located by Fresno, CA so I'd be willing to sell it to those in the L.A. and S.F. Bay areas, to get the highest return possible, as the market in my area for vintage bike is almost nonexistent as far as I can tell.

Here are several photos of the bike: https://www.flickr.com/photos/116157...57698517649832
Old 09-25-18, 06:04 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
In its current state, a fair amount of rust, dirty, needs a lot of love, value will be depressed. But if you don't have the time/tools/aptitude/pile of parts/workshop space, I'd sell it as is in project condition. Pay retail for consumables and you might break even (which means you get zero for your time). Wash the dirt off. Don't take anything abrasive to the rust. SF Bay tends to be the strongest market, maybe you can double your money. Here in its present state I wouldn't be able to get $90 for it.
Old 09-25-18, 06:06 PM
marius.suiram 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 110 Posts
I sold one one month ago for 495$, ebay. In my opinion it is a nice, desirable bike. Rebuild it.
The one I had was 1984, almost mint condition .
This is a picture of the one I had.

Old 09-25-18, 06:24 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I saw that bike, I figured I would let it go to someone who could use it more than myself. If I had known it was gonna get flipped instantly, I would have bought it myself. Oh well, enjoy your $100 profit OP, I would have been riding that bike right now if I had bought it.
Old 09-25-18, 06:33 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
The market for vintage bikes is practically nonexistent everywhere. Yet, there's always somebody somewhere that wants one. I would leave that one intact. It would be a real shame to disassemble something that nice. You should be able to double your money without doing a thing to it.
Old 09-25-18, 10:16 PM
misctrader

Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte
I saw that bike, I figured I would let it go to someone who could use it more than myself. If I had known it was gonna get flipped instantly, I would have bought it myself. Oh well, enjoy your $100 profit OP, I would have been riding that bike right now if I had bought it.
My intentions were to use it, I was under the impression it was a 23" sized frame, a size larger than I ride, but sine my Trek was hit by a car I figured this would be a good subsitute while I rebuilt it.
When I got home I measured it and it was 24", which is too big for me to comfortably ride. Originally I thought it was the longer stem that gave me a sense that it was too large, but in fact it was the frame itself.
Old 09-25-18, 10:35 PM
misctrader

Originally Posted by marius.suiram
I sold one one month ago for 495$, ebay. In my opinion it is a nice, desirable bike. Rebuild it.
The one I had was 1984, almost mint condition .
This is a picture of the one I had.

That is a very well preserved example, I'm not surprised you fetched that amount. Is that what you sold it for excluding shipping?

I'd love to rebuild it; however, I feel the less than stellar paint, i.e. several scratches, would be the thing that brings the value down considerably. How off-putting is the paint, if at all in your opinion?
Old 09-26-18, 04:40 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
If it doesn't fit clean it up the best you can put some halfway decent tubes and tires on it and try to get $350, settle on maybe $300, or $250 minimum.
Old 09-26-18, 07:20 PM
marius.suiram 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by misctrader
That is a very well preserved example, I'm not surprised you fetched that amount. Is that what you sold it for excluding shipping?
Shipping was extra.
Old 09-27-18, 10:55 AM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
If you completely disassemble it, soak all the parts in mineral spirits or diesel, polish the frame, repack the bearings, new bar tape, chain, brake pads, tubes & tires then - you've got about a $350 bike there.
Old 10-21-18, 05:17 PM
misctrader

Originally Posted by ramzilla
If you completely disassemble it, soak all the parts in mineral spirits or diesel, polish the frame, repack the bearings, new bar tape, chain, brake pads, tubes & tires then - you've got about a $350 bike there.
I've been busy but had some spare time to disassemble and clean the bike and put on some new cloth bar tape, saddle, brake hoods, brakes, pedals, tires, etc. and this is how it looks as of right now. I'm almost done with it, but I'd like to update you all in case you were interested in knowing what was the fate of the bike. I might have to adjust brake housing length, it seems a bit long.
Old 10-21-18, 05:32 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by misctrader
I've been busy but had some spare time to disassemble and clean the bike and put on some new cloth bar tape, saddle, brake hoods, brakes, pedals, tires, etc. and this is how it looks as of right now. I'm almost done with it, but I'd like to update you all in case you were interested in knowing what was the fate of the bike. I might have to adjust brake housing length, it seems a bit long.
Sounds like the end....