Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Winter/Fall commuting pants/tights for tall person

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 04-18-19, 08:22 AM
CharlieFree

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Hi, I've spent way too much time researching this to little avail. I know it's not exactly the right season but I'm looking for winter pants that are slim-fitting, waterproof or at least water and wind resistant, with a long inseam. Most I have tried are too short. I have a 33" waist and 36" inseam. Any other tall skinny guys have any luck? I'd prefer a close-fitting pant to a true tight so I could layer under if I need, but at this point beggars can't be choosers.
Old 04-18-19, 09:16 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I wear track suit warm up trousers , I get the fleeced lined , winter I add long underwear ..
a Jersey Knit fabric gives without spandex..

Once I bought a Cycling rain cape, what I wear under it does not have to be waterproof, because the Cape Is..

and as long as it's not raining sideways, my pants stay pretty dry too...

Of course the bike has mudguards , and I have my lights mounted Low , so cape does not drape over them..

(i've seen a picture of a cape with a clear plastic window-patch, so handlebar mounted lights can shine through)

Old 04-19-19, 02:09 AM
99spokes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I recommend pants made by Showers Pass. High quality, roomy enough to layer underneath, but you can make them tight using the integrated velcro straps.
Old 04-19-19, 09:49 AM
RoadKill

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Specialized Roubaix, Niner Air9, Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
LOL at the idea of finding athletic apparel of any sort for 36" inseam.
Actually, I also have 36" inseam but I'm a little chubbier with 36" waist as well. I have a pair of Perl Izumi tights I bought about 5 years ago that fits pretty good, they may be ever so slightly too short but they do at least come down almost to the tops of my shoes. So my answer is that Perl at least used to make something that was pretty much tall enough. I'll try to remember this weekend to take a look at their tags and see what size and model they are listed as so you can at least have a reference of some sort.
Old 04-19-19, 11:20 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I saw a pair of softshell pants at Costco last fall that some people here used for camping and liked. I don't remember if they used them while riding, and as a guy with a 34" inseam I know what you mean. I have a pair of Novaro tights I got from REI about 10 years ago that fit wonderfully. They're almost too long, and keep my ankles covered while riding. I'm unsure if they still make them or not.
Old 04-19-19, 11:35 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
fwiw ~ I love my Novara Headwind Bike Pants. no longer available. bought a 2nd pair on ebay. I buy pants w 38" waist but these pants in XL are perfect. the legs are longer than they need to be for my 34" inseam, so they might work for you. but as no motor mentioned the brand, maybe another model pant at REI might work out for you
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 04-19-19, 05:37 PM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
I've gotten quite a lot of use out of my Columbia Rain pants, which I think rumrunn6 is also describing. My rain pants double as a windbreaker for my lower core, trapping warmth in as I pedal.
Old 04-20-19, 06:10 PM
carlos danger

Bikes: steel is real. and so is Ti...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieFree
Hi, I've spent way too much time researching this to little avail. I know it's not exactly the right season but I'm looking for winter pants that are slim-fitting, waterproof or at least water and wind resistant, with a long inseam. Most I have tried are too short. I have a 33" waist and 36" inseam. Any other tall skinny guys have any luck? I'd prefer a close-fitting pant to a true tight so I could layer under if I need, but at this point beggars can't be choosers.
I dont use tights but instead I got some quite slim adventure/hiking pants in some "exotic" material, 1 thin layer, i got 2 different ones that were on sale. Then under that I use helly hansen base layers. I have both wool/synth baselayer and synth only. Thats works down down to -25C. When i gets warmer i simply do away with the base layers.
Old 04-22-19, 01:32 PM
RoadKill

Bikes: Specialized AWOL, Specialized Roubaix, Niner Air9, Turner Sultan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
I checked my Perl Izumi tights and they are just a size XL (not a tall specific size), didn't have a model name on them. Maybe worth finding a local Perl retailer for test fitting as they do fit my 36" inseam pretty well.
Old 04-22-19, 01:34 PM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadKill
I checked my Perl Izumi tights and they are just a size XL (not a tall specific size), didn't have a model name on them. Maybe worth finding a local Perl retailer for test fitting as they do fit my 36" inseam pretty well.
I don't know about Perl tights, I have a Perl jacket that runs small, and that was the scoop on that item before I purchased it
Old 04-23-19, 10:51 AM
CharlieFree

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
thanks for all the advice everyone
Old 04-23-19, 01:51 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I almost forgot to put in a plug for Lou at Foxwear. He makes custom fit clothing at reasonable prices and should be able to help you. Foxwear | Custom Sized Sports Clothing by Lou Binik | Salmon, ID | (877) 756-3699