Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Carpal Tunnel advise

Old 08-04-19, 05:06 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
It would be really interesting if electronic shifting took care of it. I really wanted to put electronic shifting on my travel bike, but eTap batteries don't last long enough and Di2 doesn't get rid of the cables. The advantage of no force required to shift also appeals. One of my bikes has relatively stiff shifting, and it can be a real pain on longer rides. In fact, it's possible that the force required to shift the front derailleur on my road bike contributed to my hand issues. I know someone who has eTap on his long distance bike, he seems to like it. I'll have to ask him how long his batteries last next time I see him. They are small and light enough to carry a spare set on a 1200km brevet, not sure how that would work on something like TABR.
Old 08-04-19, 11:38 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
It would be really interesting if electronic shifting took care of it. I really wanted to put electronic shifting on my travel bike, but eTap batteries don't last long enough and Di2 doesn't get rid of the cables. The advantage of no force required to shift also appeals. One of my bikes has relatively stiff shifting, and it can be a real pain on longer rides. In fact, it's possible that the force required to shift the front derailleur on my road bike contributed to my hand issues. I know someone who has eTap on his long distance bike, he seems to like it. I'll have to ask him how long his batteries last next time I see him. They are small and light enough to carry a spare set on a 1200km brevet, not sure how that would work on something like TABR.
I need to start the fact finding process now. If I elect to go with it, I'd like to get a couple thousand miles in before the next big one. Issues I see are compatibility, battery life and what to do in event of the contraption not working for whatever reason.
Old 08-04-19, 11:45 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
You might start working them now. I'm a strong believer in the ability of the right exercise to stimulate recovery. Trick of course is figuring out what that is. I'd mess around, see what seems to work. I've never found rest to be much help.
What I have found thus far is almost any use by my hand is not good. So I'm skeptical about trying any exercise before the thing settles down. I'll give that another couple weeks, wear the brace and dose with Vitamin I. We will see where I'm at then. If no improvement, I'll start the exercises. Nothing to lose.
Old 08-04-19, 12:56 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
A doctor might want to shoot you up with cortisone. Which might not be a bad idea.
Old 08-04-19, 03:04 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
A doctor might want to shoot you up with cortisone. Which might not be a bad idea.
One assumes a doctor has been seen. Vit. I - my dosage when I have issues like this is 600 mg. every 6 hours every day for at least a week. Consistent dosage is key. I should have mentioned that. Gotta get the inflammation down. And as another has commented, my guess is that electronic is the way to go. My hands will let me ride my singles longer than our tandem, just due to cable drag on the right brifter.
Old 08-04-19, 03:30 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Except for side effects associated with it which can be more or less complicated if you already have some of the preexisting issues of insomnia, anxiety as some do. It can also complicate depression.
Old 08-04-19, 04:08 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
This is an interesting thread! I'm kinda amazed at the different problems, different causes, different solutions.

I have a wrist brace that I use when my symptoms flare up. It feels good initially, but after a few hours or can become really painful. When I take it off the pain goes away completely... for a while. You may think I'm not doing it right... and that makes two of us.

I naturally sleep with my hands flat under my pillow. That's a habit that goes back longer than I can remember. I'd be thrilled if that were the solution to anything, but makes my CTS worse.

But the worst thing, for me, is driving. I keep my hands at the top of the wheel (that's how I was taught) and I hold it tightly. Much too tightly. I have never found a way to loosen that grip.

Last edited by rhm; 08-04-19 at 04:11 PM.