Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front suspension forks question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-19, 04:28 AM
tmho

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like biking but I have very limited knowledge in bikes.

I need a front suspension forks for one of my bike. I saw a post selling one which I would like to buy. But from its photos, I found that there is a place that it is different from the front suspension forks of my other bikes. The difference is the angle of the drop out. (I may used the wrong term, but I do not know the proper term for it). Actually, I mean the angle of the slot (drop out) going into the axle of the front wheel. Mine are parallel to the vertical line of the forks, but the one for sale is at an angle. Sorry, I cannot post the photos because I am just a new member. I am trying to find a way to post the photos somewhere else.

It seems to me that it is not that good because the front wheel may have a higher chance of coming out. Am I correct? Or am I just ignorance?
Old 08-14-19, 05:58 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 430 Posts
There should still be a recessed lip around the axle nuts to prevent a loose wheel from leaving the scene. (Remember the hit song, "You picked a fine time to leave me, loose wheel?")

Perhaps the dropout slots are perpendicular to the ground when installed in a standard angled head tube.

There is a legal requirement that bikes have some method of holding in a loosened wheel. The lips mentioned above are often referred to as "lawyer lips."
Old 08-14-19, 10:24 AM
tmho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
There should still be a recessed lip around the axle nuts to prevent a loose wheel from leaving the scene. (Remember the hit song, "You picked a fine time to leave me, loose wheel?")

Perhaps the dropout slots are perpendicular to the ground when installed in a standard angled head tube.

There is a legal requirement that bikes have some method of holding in a loosened wheel. The lips mentioned above are often referred to as "lawyer lips."
Thank you for your reply.
Old 08-14-19, 02:04 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Some disc brake-ready forks for traditional quick-release hubs have the dropout slot angled forward in an attempt to reduce the risk of the front wheel ejecting when the disc brake is applied.
Other makes&models are content with relying on the ”lawyer lips” and operator skill/strength to keep the front wheel in place. They may well hang on to a more traditional, near-vertical angled dropout
Old 08-14-19, 02:37 PM
tmho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Some disc brake-ready forks for traditional quick-release hubs have the dropout slot angled forward in an attempt to reduce the risk of the front wheel ejecting when the disc brake is applied.
Other makes&models are content with relying on the ”lawyer lips” and operator skill/strength to keep the front wheel in place. They may well hang on to a more traditional, near-vertical angled dropout
Thank you for your reply.