Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Winter training

Old 08-19-19, 02:42 PM
tuna
The Uberclydesdale

Bikes: 1993 Cannondale M700, 1998 Cannondale Multisport 1000, 1997 Klein Pulse Pro, 1990 Klein Pinnacle Elite, 1989 Klein Quantum, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winter training

Hey fellow C/A! I am looking to up my fitness and have given myself a goal: an Aquabike event next summer. I am going to use this goal as a focus to training.

That being said, let me share a little about me. I am 6'2", ~315 lbs (down from 420), and my current ride is a '93 Cannondale M700 that I built from the ground up with upgraded parts.

My 1993 Cannondale M700

I live in the beautiful state of Wyoming, specifically the city of Laramie. The summers are gorgeous up here, but winters are a different story. Once November rolls around, we get frequent snow and the mercury rarely rises about freezing. It stays that way until LATE spring.

So I am currently looking at indoor trainers so that I can continue to ride, even when it is -10F outside. Anything I should know about trainers, especially with respect to my weight?
Old 08-19-19, 05:35 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
If you can afford it, a smart trainer and Zwift are definitely worth it. If not, it's not the be all and end all and there's many more ways to go about it. Just get yourself some sort of training plan and be consistent with it. Just a standard mag or fluid trainer (they go pretty cheap in this modern smart trainer era) combined with some workouts on Youtube and you will be smashing next summer.

Also look at getting at least some slicker and higher pressure tyres for your ride. If the road is where you'll be spending your time, it's well worth it
Old 08-20-19, 08:05 PM
tuna
The Uberclydesdale

Bikes: 1993 Cannondale M700, 1998 Cannondale Multisport 1000, 1997 Klein Pulse Pro, 1990 Klein Pinnacle Elite, 1989 Klein Quantum, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks @brawlo !

I've heard a lot about Zwift and it does sound like fun! I'm definitely going to give it try once I get the pieces for it.

As for the trainer, is there anything that I should look for or stay away, considering that I am a large clydesdale? Any designs better than others? I just don't want to invest in a trainer and then discover my weight is too much for it, etc. I see that Cycleops is a brand that many recommend.

As for tires, I was planning on doing that. I got the tires that are on it because I wanted bit more flotation and protection from pinched tubes.
Old 08-20-19, 08:35 PM
tuna
The Uberclydesdale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This isn't good news. I was looking at the CycleOps trainers and I find this in the specs:

All of our trainers are tested to the combined weight (rider and bike) of 300 lbs.
https://www.cycleops.com/product/cycleops-fluid

With my bikes weight (on a good day) at probably the 25 lbs range, and my 315lbs, that is going to place our total close to 350 lbs.
Old 08-20-19, 08:36 PM
brawlo

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by tuna
Thanks @brawlo !

I've heard a lot about Zwift and it does sound like fun! I'm definitely going to give it try once I get the pieces for it.

As for the trainer, is there anything that I should look for or stay away, considering that I am a large clydesdale? Any designs better than others? I just don't want to invest in a trainer and then discover my weight is too much for it, etc. I see that Cycleops is a brand that many recommend.

As for tires, I was planning on doing that. I got the tires that are on it because I wanted bit more flotation and protection from pinched tubes.
I would look at the resistance units for quality. My trainer work was centred around track sprint cycling and I ended up with a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. Pretty much all designs will cope with your weight. Just use good form on the trainer which is not trying to swing the bike from side to side and stay more upright. The side bonus is that that is good bike form and will help when you hit the pavement again. My Kurt is very quiet and the resistance is very predictable and quality. Another good one if the Lemond, but it can be pretty loud. CycleOps also make a decent fluid trainer. All of those trainers can be had for pretty cheap with everyone going to smart trainers nowadays.

TBH I wasn't all that fussed on the Zwift experience when I had the Kurt. It doesn't really work all that well with the interface. But around that time, I was looking at upgrading to a Kickr anyway and when I did, it was next level awesome with Zwift. It's much much more road like with the varying resistance. I can't speak for smart trainers if they fit within your budget as I stopped looking once I got my Kickr, but there are heaps of options out there now and I believe some can be had for pretty cheap. If you want to read up on a model, take a look at DCRainmaker's page. He was always a great source for trainer reviews and comparisons.

As for tyres, I wouldn't stress too much about pinched tubes. I was up around 140kg for a while and happily rode 23mm tyres and I've never had a pinched tube. Just put more pressure in if your road conditions mean there's a chance of a pinch with pot holes, etc. I run 25mm at around 130kg ATM with 100psi and I'm doing fine.
Old 08-20-19, 09:10 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
My kurt kinetic has been awesome for the long winters. Lots of miles on mine and at 300lbs never had one issue. If you can swing the cost go for it. Watch craigs list and such places. They are on there often too.
Old 08-21-19, 07:11 PM
Ahkhira

Bikes: Nishiki (Unknown origin), Huffy Santa Fe 10 speed, 2018 Jamis DXT Sport Femme, and 2016 SE Draft

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm lurking and reading advice. I just bought a Jamis DXT Sport and am looking for a winter trainer. New England gets a bit nasty to ride in. Can anyone recommend a trainer that works well with a hybrid bike like mine? I had never heard of Zwift, but it looks awesome!
Old 08-24-19, 06:43 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Cyclops trainers will work for you their 300 pound "limit" is a lawyer limit. However I prefer the TacX or BKool Pro wheel on trainers. I have use the BKool Pro (1st generation) from a weight of 395 down to a weight of 350 and back up to 369 and it has held up very well. Also I have used TacX wheel on smart trainers, and love how smooth they are.
Old 08-25-19, 08:17 AM
DWhitworth

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I use a Wahoo Kikr. 300++ lbs and it works fine. Paired with Zwift, it works very well...I don't have the discipline to manually adjust resistance so the smart trainer works for me.

Nothing to do with the trainer itself, but it gets hot riding indoors...I need a fan blowing on me directly.
Old 08-26-19, 11:41 AM
tuna
The Uberclydesdale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you! As anyone who's ever been a clyde/athena, I am always hesitant about knowing something is going to support my weight. I've broken a few chairs in my time!

I don't intend on doing the sprint thing or ride abruptly. My mission to have a way to ride and develop my leg strength muscles and increase my aerobic capacity.
Old 08-26-19, 01:49 PM
monstorr

Bikes: Trek Crockett 7 and a bunch of projects =)

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I would totally go for Kurt Kinetic. I got a steal on mine via craigslist. If you have an REI near you and are a lifetime member, you can also check out their garage sales. Im hoping to upgrade and get a Wahoo this winter if I can find one at the REI sales. Otherwise im sticking to my wheel on trainer. I enjoy Sufferfest a lot more than Zwift.
Old 08-28-19, 07:53 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
I currently use an old Performance branded trainer.

I quit using my other trainer, A Giant mag trainer. At 378 pounds I felt like I was going to tip over. I had bought the Performance trainer at a thrift store for my wife. But she didn't use it. So I put my bike on last year. Not as tippy feeling, very solid.

At 247 pounds, I'm seriously considering a Tacx smart trainer, or the Wahoo Kickr wheel on trainer. Maybe this winter I can actually get somewhere on Zwift.

I'm rearranging my fro t room soon, to have a TV available to use my laptop for Zwift...

I already use Wahoo Blue SC speed and cadence sensor on all my bikes, well. Some say Schoche, but they are the same. Paired to the Wahoo fitness app for my phone...

Last edited by zjrog; 08-28-19 at 08:08 AM.