Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Courtesy on the bike paths....

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Courtesy on the bike paths....

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-19, 08:47 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by render ranger
I'm just stating the facts. Bike bells are not universally understood and instantly recognized, as you have claimed.

I don't need to "do an experiment." I have video, from one ride, where multiple people did not instantly recognize a bell nor understand what it meant. I didn't get 100% recognition and these folks did not grown up on a desert island and they don't meet the medical definition of "idiot."

Should I upload the video for you so you can learn that bells aren't instantly recognized and universally understood?

p.s.

u·ni·ver·sal·ly/ˌyo͞onəˈvərsəlē/
adverb

1. by everyone; in every case.
You counterpoint is childish and intransigent. More reminiscence of a middle school mentality. This discussion is terminated.

Originally Posted by MikeTé
Just this eve I was riding on a MUP when I approached a kid about 12, who was riding in the same direction, a bit all over the left side lane. I slowed, rang a bell, the kid looked over his shoulder and clearly decided to hold his line on the left. I saw another rider approaching quickly from the opposite direction, still about 40 meters away...
So, I got off the path entirely, riding on the grass (there was room). The oncoming cyclist saw this, slowed a bit, still quick enough, and right away took the right lane and passed by safely. No accident, no words spoken, no conflict, we all carried on.

Too many cyclists are into their own hard ride on the MUPs, maybe should rather be on the road.
In this thread, we're probably all mostly on the same page; situational awareness, respect, patience and courtesy.... all for the sake of being safe while enjoying the ride and, importantly, preventing accidents.
Is it always the cyclist that's wrong? Pretty strange coming from a cyclist website. It might interest you to know that it was cycling that are largely the cause of development of these alternate pathways.

In any event, since that seems to be the popular opinion here, maybe path for soccer moms and old people would be more appropriate than MUP? Then we're back to where we started with motorist complaining the bikes are too slow and should be on the sidewalk.
Old 08-26-19, 09:20 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Just because you can find a few anomalies among 7 billion people in the world does not make a statement untrue. I've seen people that don't remember their own name. But even small children can recognize a bike bell and know what to do.

Instead of being the naysayer trying to dispel logic and good sense, why don't you try the experiment. If you don't get 100% recognition that one person who can't recognize a bike bell is likely an idiot or have lived all his life in a cave on a desert island.
That's ridiculous. Words convey more meaning than a bell sound, it's idiotic to claim otherwise. As I've said numerous times when you've made this silly assertion before, I have seen plenty of riders have to resort to words when people didn't react to the bell sound, but I've never seen the reverse.

I have no problem with people preferring bells, but making a claim that it is recognized as conveying "passing on your left" better than saying "passing on your left" makes absolutely no sense.
Old 08-26-19, 09:34 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

You counterpoint is childish and intransigent. More reminiscence of a middle school mentality. This discussion is terminated.

Is it always the cyclist that's wrong? Pretty strange coming from a cyclist website. It might interest you to know that it was cycling that are largely the cause of development of these alternate pathways.

In any event, since that seems to be the popular opinion here, maybe path for soccer moms and old people would be more appropriate than MUP? Then we're back to where we started with motorist complaining the bikes are too slow and should be on the sidewalk.
Wow, just wow! If you really have a problem with sharing a MUP with "soccer moms and old people", then don't use MUPs. Basically, you just went completely into the offensive with this post.

It might interest you to know these paths would likely never have been funded if they hadn't been made multiple use. And yes, they are basically sidewalks you can ride on. If you don't like mixing bike and pedestrian traffic, these are not the places for you to ride.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-27-19, 03:23 AM
MikeTé

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Of course not.
However, on the MUPs, there are those who thread the needle between the little kids at 30-40 kph, the group rides at busy times that are too wide and too fast for the mixed traffic, etc.....
We've all seen it and we've all cringed at the close calls we've seen.

The e-bike riders, the e-boarders and even the slower crowd, the joggers and the walkers, also should try to be aware, patient and careful. They're just mostly not on this forum, though.
And, despite this being a cyclists' website, there are very few here who advocate, "It's all about me".

Likes For MikeTé:
Old 08-27-19, 04:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Of course not.
However, on the MUPs, there are those who thread the needle between the little kids at 30-40 kph, the group rides at busy times that are too wide and too fast for the mixed traffic, etc.....

The e-bike riders, the e-boarders and even the slower crowd, the joggers and the walkers, also should try to be aware, patient and careful. They're just mostly not on this forum, though.
And, despite this being a cyclists' website, there are very few here who advocate, "It's all about me".
I'll go a little farther and say that bicyclists and ebike riders are well-aware that we are, by far, the fastest people on the paths, and that we pose a greater threat to other people's safety than the other MUP traffic. So any cyclist who is honest and knowledgeable about this should understand that we have a greater amount of responsibility to respect other people's safety. As far as I know, bikes must yield to pedestrians is a nearly universal MUP rule, and is statutory or mandated by ordinance.

I'm not saying pedestrians shouldn't watch out for their own safety, but cyclists have a legal responsibility to watch out for pedestrian safety as well. Pedestrians are not, however, legally required to get the hell out of our way on demand. I don't know of any law that requires them to do so, so it's pretty obvious we're relying on their courtesy. If you want to keep being able to ride on MUPs with reasonable efficiency, I suggest you don't systematically treat pedestrians in a rude and hostile manner.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-27-19, 07:21 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
I've seen plenty of signs informing users that bikes bust yield to peds and, in come cases, signs requiring both to yield to horses.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-27-19, 08:04 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
I mean, I’m an idiot, and whether I know that the sound of a bell means it’s attached to a bike that is about to pass me or not, it gets my attention. Bells get attention. Better than voices that may or may not be understood or clearly heard.

I’m an idiot, and I also ride a bike. I’m not the only bike riding idiot out there, and not on these forums.

So I don’t necessarily agree that idiots don’t know what to do when they hear a bell. Someone living in a cave maybe, but let’s not give idiots a bad name.
Likes For Phamilton:
Old 08-27-19, 08:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Phamilton
I mean, I’m an idiot, and whether I know that the sound of a bell means it’s attached to a bike that is about to pass me or not, it gets my attention. Bells get attention. Better than voices that may or may not be understood or clearly heard.

I’m an idiot, and I also ride a bike. I’m not the only bike riding idiot out there, and not on these forums.

So I don’t necessarily agree that idiots don’t know what to do when they hear a bell. Someone living in a cave maybe, but let’s not give idiots a bad name.
Thank you! I can say as a loud-mouthed idiot whose job entails a fair amount of public speaking that I do better talking loudly than I do making a ding ding noise. I recognize that that's going to vary a lot from person to person so that for a lot of people they're more likely to be heard and understood using a bell, but it really irritates me when someone claims that it's "common sense" that a sound conveys more information than actual words. I happen to be very good at making my words clearly heard without sounding like a crazy person., so it would be absurd for me to prefer using a bell.

BTW, I see people not knowing what to do when they hear a bell all the time on the Minuteman. I don't think there's that many cave dwellers there.
Old 08-27-19, 09:00 AM
CSG

Bikes: 2002 Novara Ponderosa HT MTB 2011, Brompton M6L

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I'm fortunate to live close to a large gravel MUP network that's rarely crowded. Still, I encounter other trail users often enough. I am almost always travelling faster than anyone else I encounter. I always announce my intention to pass but shouting "on your left" gets annoying quickly. My solution is a bell. A bell is clearly heard and understood, a bell is friendly, a bell is easy. Get a bell.
I do the same. Used to do the "on your left!" yell but a bell works better (although many seem to have earbuds in their ears and don't always hear you). But I'm a slower rider, more out for recreation, so I slow down when approaching. I have yet to have an issue over the years that stands out. But we're mostly polite in Idaho. I almost always say, "thank you" when I pass.

Last edited by CSG; 08-27-19 at 09:10 AM.
Old 08-27-19, 10:58 AM
MikeTé

Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
I will from now on cease to treat pedestrians in a rude and hostile manner.

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'll go a little farther and say that bicyclists and ebike riders are well-aware that we are, by far, the fastest people on the paths, and that we pose a greater threat to other people's safety than the other MUP traffic. So any cyclist who is honest and knowledgeable about this should understand that we have a greater amount of responsibility to respect other people's safety. As far as I know, bikes must yield to pedestrians is a nearly universal MUP rule, and is statutory or mandated by ordinance.

I'm not saying pedestrians shouldn't watch out for their own safety, but cyclists have a legal responsibility to watch out for pedestrian safety as well. Pedestrians are not, however, legally required to get the hell out of our way on demand. I don't know of any law that requires them to do so, so it's pretty obvious we're relying on their courtesy. If you want to keep being able to ride on MUPs with reasonable efficiency, I suggest you don't systematically treat pedestrians in a rude and hostile manner.
Old 08-27-19, 11:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I will from now on cease to treat pedestrians in a rude and hostile manner.

Pretty sure you and I agree that some cyclists have not ceased doing so.
Old 08-27-19, 02:03 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Which is why "bells" should be used -- and required by law in some municipalities -- instead. They're instantly recognized and universally understood.
By "instantly and universally" I'll assume you mean by you and your friends. We all had bells back in the 70s and 80s, so when I got back into cycling a few years ago, I stuck a bell on my city/commuter bike out of habit. In my experience in Memphis and St. Louis, people hearing the bell and understanding how to react were a very small minority. Between people with headphones, people in conversations, people staring at cell phones, or people otherwise distracted, most people were too absorbed in their own thoughts to respond to anything I might do short of sounding a car horn.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 08-27-19, 02:18 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by bbbean
By "instantly and universally" I'll assume you mean by you and your friends. We all had bells back in the 70s and 80s, so when I got back into cycling a few years ago, I stuck a bell on my city/commuter bike out of habit. In my experience in Memphis and St. Louis, people hearing the bell and understanding how to react were a very small minority. Between people with headphones, people in conversations, people staring at cell phones, or people otherwise distracted, most people were too absorbed in their own thoughts to respond to anything I might do short of sounding a car horn.
Amen. I have a loud ass voice. People wearing buds don't hear me when I yell. I have had more than a few jump out of their skins when I pass. And age-related hearing loss usually begins with a decrease in the ability to hear high frequency sounds. And as you note, it's one thing to hear a bell. It's another to know how to react. Maybe someone can invent a bell that rings out "Please move to your right."
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-27-19, 02:22 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Loud-ass voice.

Loud ass voice is something few will hear and fewer will understand on the trail, and nobody will appreciate.
Old 08-27-19, 05:11 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
"I have no problem with people preferring bells, but making a claim that it is recognized as conveying "passing on your left" better than saying "passing on your left" makes absolutely no sense"

Until that rider in front of you MOVES TO THE LEFT. The last time that I happened to me I was passing a group of slow moving riders who were in my lane. One by one I said loudly, "On your left," as I moved past them. The third one swerved left and she was really surprised and confused when I swerved around her to avoid running into her. I've been using a bell ever since and I've never had anyone move to the left at the sound of my bell.
Also higher pitched sounds are more piercing than a voice. A lot of people wear earbuds and the bell will get their attention.
Finally, I realized I just don't like shouting at people.
Old 08-27-19, 05:37 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton
Loud-ass voice.

Loud ass voice is something few will hear and fewer will understand on the trail, and nobody will appreciate.
Marginal gains!
Old 08-27-19, 05:46 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3417 Post(s)
Liked 3,547 Times in 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by stephr1
You and I are neighbors (tho, I doubt we'd ever cross paths on bikes) and the MUP I use is the Stevens Creek Trail.
Hi neighbor!

Coincidentally, I was on Stevens Creek Trail briefly today with my wife, checking out her bike fit after installing a new stem.

We passed a total of one other rider. Upright bike, no helmet, ear buds. We went around him safely and quietly, without incident or interaction.

Old 08-27-19, 06:00 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

[QUOTE=render ranger;21094115]Nah, my counterpoint is factual. Here's the "experiment" that you suggested. These are snippets from a single ride.

Bells are not universally understood nor instantly recognized, as you have falsely claimed.

This video has nothing to do with the merits of a bell vs voice. That's not the experiment we see here.
Instead we have a rider moving way too fast on a crowded trail. Slow down because you're in congested area or move to the dirt path where he would occasionally swerve to avoid hitting people or better yet, take a different trail.
You'd have the same result rushing up to people and shouting at them, "move over, move over!"
Old 08-27-19, 06:46 PM
Biketiger

Please pay attention and read the entire thread before responding.

The video is in response to the ludicrous claim that "They're instantly recognized and universally understood. And if done properly, can signal your approach well in advance so as not to startle anyone or cause any misunderstanding."

It was not posted to weigh in on either side of the bell vs. voice discussion. Again, please pay attention.

Finally, your riding "way too fast" comment is hilarious. I was riding slowly and in control due to all of the folks out that day. Perhaps it would be too fast for you, but not everyone suffers from your apparent limitations.
I read your post and watched the video - long enough to see you swerve to avoid hitting people. I don't know how you could describe your speed as slow when there were so many people you are trying to pass. I also noticed that there is no dividing line on the lane and people were all over the path.
Your comment about my "apparent limitations" speaks volumes about your lack of courtesy and common sense.
Old 08-27-19, 07:48 PM
Al_in_NH

Bikes: Cannondale Cataylist, Giant Toughroad, Specialized Sequoia, KHS Fatbike, Electra Loft

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
The two lovers walking their pooch on the rail trail tonight did not have a clue what a bell meant, but we were able to get around them safely. After we turned around and headed back, we came upon them again. Again, our bells had zero effect on them as they gazed lovingly into each others eyes while their mutt ran from one side of the rail trail to the other on his "leash".

Nothing works all the time.
Likes For Al_in_NH:
Old 08-27-19, 08:32 PM
alikitch

Bikes: Colnago Master, Tommasini Techno, De Rosa Primato, XB3 Kvant, Cinelli track, KHS Aerotrack, Takhion track, Samoilov track

Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts
I can't fit a bell to my bike as it would adversely affect the aesthetics. Neither can I yell 'passing on the right' (which is the right side here) as, when peddling, there is not sufficient air pressure remaining in lungs to vibrate vocal folds.

I comfort myself with the knowledge that any pedestrian who is unhappy about this has around 1000km of footpath to choose from within a few metres of the bike lane, whereas the only alternative for non-suicidal cyclists is to get back in a car and drive. Of course this would add to our massive congestion and pollution problems - which is the reason they are building bike paths in the first place - to get people out of cars.

I am also comforted by the memories of the times I have managed to signal my approach and had pedestrians jump the wrong way. I would rather they got a fright and jumped in a random direction after I had passed than got a fright at the sound of a bell and jumped in a random direction in front of me for both our sakes.
Likes For alikitch:
Old 08-27-19, 09:26 PM
Biketiger

Yes, I, and many other folks, are able to steer around people in our way. Even when riding slowly. It's a fundamental cycling skill.

The number of people that I passed slowly, and safely, disproves your claim that I was riding "way too fast."

Your apparent limitations relate to you . Hence your replies here. HTH.
Ranger, you are quick to point out what you perceive as others' "limitations" or "ludicrous ideas."
Your latest post being your conclusion about me "not being able to ride at slow or moderate speeds around pedestrians"
You have no idea who I am or what I ride. I ride fixed gear and can steer circles around you.
Now on your path, did you notice that of the dozens of people on that trail, every single one was a PEDESTRIAN?
Ain't no one on their bike but you Ranger. No runners, no bladers, no scooters.
The point about speed you fail to grasp is that everyone else was moving much at a much slower pace than you.
You think you are so in control but at any point, any one of those kids could have stepped in front of you.
Who do you think would be at fault? You had to swerve to avoid hitting one of them.

Here is an idea: Since you were riding on the dirt, why not ride on the dirt until you pass the whole lot of them?
Then you could post a video from your go pro on bikeforums showing us how fast and strong you are.
Old 08-28-19, 07:57 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Marginal gains!
Very nice!
Old 08-28-19, 08:01 AM
indyfabz

The real question is: Does anyone still curtsey on bike paths?
Old 08-28-19, 08:34 AM
mjd420nova

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It has come to my attention that few if any will call out to another rider when passing. My encounter seems to be with the runners and walkers that wear headphones and wouldn't hear a tornado behind them so calling out is useless. Some ares require you to call out when passing but they must also require no headphones or we'd just be wasting out breath.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.