Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are new bikes a huge waste of money?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are new bikes a huge waste of money?

Old 08-29-19, 10:03 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
me, serenely: the only bike that is a waste of money is the one you don't ride, and also Pinarellos
Likes For sheddle:
Old 08-29-19, 10:04 AM
86az135i
Banned.

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone, 2005 Giant Yukon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552
So which is it?

Yeah, high end components from a decade ago that have now been superseded by the lower end components of today. Methinks someone doesn't understand trickle down engineering.

And besides, nobody will ever know this bike retailed for $2500 but was had new from the LBS for only $1200 (minus wheels/pedals), so in a decade, I can probably still sell it to you for a grand and laugh all the way to the LBS to buy my next new one:
Well on road bikes, components really haven't changed a whole lot. I would say my 26 year old shimano 600 ultegra tricolor components are near as good as your new 105 components if not better. Only reason I can say that is I have new ultegra components which aren't vastly superior and my wife has a bike with 105 components.
Likes For 86az135i:
Old 08-29-19, 10:09 AM
86az135i
Banned.

Bikes: 1996 Cannondale R900, 2016 Trek Boone, 2005 Giant Yukon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 584 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol
i will buy it for pennies on the dollar... u shell out the mega bucks and i will enjoy it just as much knowing i wasnt dumb enough to buy something that loses its value faster than an american car...
Why were you dumb enough to pay 1k for a 9 year old bike? I bought last year, a 2 year old bike that retailed for $4800 for $900.

Who cares how people spend their money. Some people have more money and can afford the latest and greatest and it be new. I would love to be able to do that.
Likes For 86az135i:
Old 08-29-19, 10:23 AM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
If nobody bought them new, there would never be used bikes for sale. No different than buying used clothing at a thrift store, somebody had to have purchased it retail at some point. I have one bike that I purchased new, and three others that I purchased used . . . very used . To each his/her own. If you want the latest and greatest, warranty, service packages, etc. and can afford it, buy new. If you don't mind a little wear and tear, not always getting exactly what you want (or having to make a few upgrades), or are just frugal, there are a lot of good deals on used bikes as well. The most important thing is to enjoy the ride.
Old 08-29-19, 10:34 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by teejaywhy
You PAID for that?
Yes, but unlike buyers of used bikes, I'm pretty sure @indyfabz gets a small reimbursement every time he posts it on BF. My quick estimation has determined that the cost has more than likely been repaid in full by now.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 08-29-19, 10:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by 86az135i
Well on road bikes, components really haven't changed a whole lot. I would say my 26 year old shimano 600 ultegra tricolor components are near as good as your new 105 components if not better. Only reason I can say that is I have new ultegra components which aren't vastly superior and my wife has a bike with 105 components.
+1 on the Shimano 600. I love my 25 year old components. I guess they weigh a little more and are slightly less aero than top of the line now, but I love the look and feel of them, and they shift as fast and as smooth as I'll ever need. Otherwise all I'd get with a newer set-up is a few more gears I never use.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-29-19, 10:55 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Yes, but unlike buyers of used bikes, I'm pretty sure @indyfabz gets a small reimbursement every time he posts it on BF. My quick estimation has determined that the cost has more than likely been repaid in full by now.
Wish that were the case. Fact is, he won't build you a frame unless without at least one in-person fitting session, and he prefers two. One reason he only builds 2-3 dozen/year. Building frames, running a LBS and family life keeps him busy. Doubt you will find any of his creations on eBay or Craig's List.
Old 08-29-19, 12:12 PM
robnol
Banned

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 86az135i
Why were you dumb enough to pay 1k for a 9 year old bike? I bought last year, a 2 year old bike that retailed for $4800 for $900.

Who cares how people spend their money. Some people have more money and can afford the latest and greatest and it be new. I would love to be able to do that.
I never said I cared what people spend on a bike.... I just said it seemed like a waste of money....once again the thought police here on bf get an attitude towards anybody’s opinion or thoughts that don’t jive with the. Collective mindset...... and u bought a 4800 dollar bike that was 2 years old for 900 thank you for making my point so clearly

Last edited by robnol; 08-29-19 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-29-19, 12:13 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
[QUOTE=mstateglfr;21098096]
Originally Posted by Koyote

We arent always doing this. I specifically said where my time is always worth money. Any decisions on what to do when time is worth money would take place when I am at work. The rest of my life is different and decisions made during hours outside of work are opportunity cost decisions, but not for money. Instead they are based on enjoyment, or responsibility, or whatever other basis I am using to decide what to do.

My point was that if my time were always worth money, meaning I could be paid the effective hourly rate of what I earn at work, I would have a tough time deciding to do things that I do right now.
All allocation decisions are based on opportunity cost, whether at work or not, and whether they involve direct monetary payments or not. It's a truism that every decision involves a trade-off, and that thing that you are foregoing is the opportunity cost. You're trying to make a false distinction.
Old 08-29-19, 12:23 PM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by Metieval
well, when you are unemployed. You have the time to sort through 1,000's of bikes on ebay to find that pristine bike.

other wise time is Money, and its better to work, and then just spend that money at the bike store.

buying new is called "Time management"
Unemployed lolol try again
Old 08-29-19, 12:28 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Obtl
Old 08-29-19, 12:50 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Yes I am aware of how consumerism and supply/demand work.

What's your point with this post?
Self righteous internet flex. Moral smugness. There are other names for it.

A special snowflake is someone who feels he is different (read: better) than everyone else.

This term is quite informal and has gained a lot of popularity recently; I often see it used in criticism against social justice warriors. Its origin lies on the oft-repeated trivia that no two snowflakes are the same.

Last edited by tagaproject6; 08-29-19 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-29-19, 12:56 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Exactly, stupid people pay too much for new things. And besides all you get from buying something new is lots of depreciation.

We should all wait, buy used, and revel in the same smug condescending snark and holier than thou I’m the smartest person in every room I walk into ****iness like these guys.

Bow to your betters. They paid LESS for your discarded crap than you did NINE years ago. I bet you feel stupid.

Cant wait for the “I’m still using the same tube from 1971, why do idiots spend so much on new ones” thread. Maybe some other old boomer can regale us with tales of how they turn their 1987 (bought used in 1991) bar tape inside out and keep re-using it too.
Old 08-29-19, 01:01 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I would DEFINITELY recognize that bike if I saw it out and about.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 08-29-19, 01:02 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
so I spent $999.99 for a new Raleigh Revenio 2.0 in July 2014, but got an offer from the same bike store in January 2015 to buy a brand new Orbea Orca (2013 model) that had been sitting on their floor since it arrived from their distributor.

Yes I saved a ton of money on the Orbea, but then I turned around and spent what I had saved on cycling shoes, pedals, wheelset, bars, stem, and a couple years later upgraded the 10 speed 105 groupset to 11 speed Ultegra.

If I had the money I would buy a brand new Bianchi Infinito with the thru axles.

Nothing wrong with buying the new technology if you can afford to, and there is nothing wrong with buying older technology at a reduced price.

The Raleigh is being ridden by my oldest son.
Likes For dagray:
Old 08-29-19, 01:17 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
All allocation decisions are based on opportunity cost, whether at work or not, and whether they involve direct monetary payments or not. It's a truism that every decision involves a trade-off, and that thing that you are foregoing is the opportunity cost. You're trying to make a false distinction.
Interesting, Ill have to think about this. At first glance, I see the distinction as quite valid. Opportunity cost is how we make decisions all the time, agreed. But not all those are based on making money as one of the options to decide on. I really think that its valid to say that a single specific option is worth singling out here.

Tonight I will have to decide between watching some show I dont care about or exercise. Pretty sure I will choose the show because Im not in an exercise state of mind recently. To me, the opportunity cost of such a decision is completely different if I add in making money to that equation. If I had the chance to work for a random hour, like 9pm to 10pm and get an hour's worth of pay- I would probably do that. This is why I mentioned if money were to play a part, it would be a game changer when it comes to deciding what to do.

But Ill give it some thought. Perhaps it is a difference without distinction. Hmm.
Old 08-29-19, 01:28 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
I cant imagine living a life where my time is always worth money. It would be exhausting trying to calculate the opportunity cost for each activity at any given time.
All I can say is AMEN. That's never been my way of living in this is world. I've spent WAY too much money on cars, motorcycles and bikes. OTOH, I've had the experience of owning great bikes (actually not that expensive) cars (expensive) like Lotus, Corvette, BMW, Audi, WRX, Fiesta and Focus STs and 7 Ducatis. I have no idea how many hours and minutes that amounts to but I'm good.
Old 08-29-19, 01:41 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
[QUOTE=Koyote;21098372]

Thank you for this, Koyote. Being able to say that I'm working out the opportunity costs of my time allocation (while I'm laying on the couch watching TV) sounds so much better than "I'm being a lazy ass".
Old 08-29-19, 04:06 PM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Except you are not buying a NOS 9 year old bike. You are buying a bike with 9 years of use. So how much you are saving depends on the condition.

It also depends on whether you care about design changes over the past 9 years. This could mean the components themselves or the compatibly with newer standards.

For example, you want a bike with a fairly “road” like geo and also tire clearance for 35s? I can tell you from experience (looking for such a thing in 2010) that there are not many 9 year old options.

It also depends on the TYPE of bike. For example, other than tire clearance, there is nothing I care much about that differentiates a road bike from today and 9 years ago. But with mountain bikes, the changes over any 9 year period are immense, and honestly, I doubt I would even pay $500 for a 9 year old FS MTB that retailed for $5K unless is was literally never ridden.

Also, while my overall experience with eBay purchases have been generally good, I have had less than stellar luck when it comes to bikes and bike frames.

And unless you live in a very populated large area, good used options can be limited.
components can easily be upgraded if u have any mechanical aptitude a person acn easily doit ....its not hard at all
Old 08-29-19, 04:29 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
components can easily be upgraded if u have any mechanical aptitude a person acn easily doit ....its not hard at all
wouldn't that be a "waste of money" though? I mean if it still works....
Likes For Metieval:
Old 08-29-19, 04:30 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Yes, but buying new components to upgrade an old frame can (and usually does) end up more expensive than buying a new bike. And you’re left with a big parts box full of old 9-speed gears that nobody will take off your hands.
Old 08-29-19, 04:37 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Used components only, of course.
Let the dumb among us buy the components new.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-29-19, 04:50 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
[QUOTE=AlmostTrick;21098554]

Thank you for this, Koyote. Being able to say that I'm working out the opportunity costs of my time allocation (while I'm laying on the couch watching TV) sounds so much better than "I'm being a lazy ass".
In labor market analysis, we also describe some people as having a "strong preference for leisure over work." We never describe them as "lazy." Maybe that helps, too?

Interesting, Ill have to think about this. At first glance, I see the distinction as quite valid. Opportunity cost is how we make decisions all the time, agreed. But not all those are based on making money as one of the options to decide on. I really think that its valid to say that a single specific option is worth singling out here.

Tonight I will have to decide between watching some show I dont care about or exercise. Pretty sure I will choose the show because Im not in an exercise state of mind recently. To me, the opportunity cost of such a decision is completely different if I add in making money to that equation. If I had the chance to work for a random hour, like 9pm to 10pm and get an hour's worth of pay- I would probably do that. This is why I mentioned if money were to play a part, it would be a game changer when it comes to deciding what to do.

But Ill give it some thought. Perhaps it is a difference without distinction. Hmm.
You probably can assign monetary value to all trade-offs, but it is easier for some things than others. For example, I pay a guy $40 to mow my lawn each week, simply b/c I don't want to spend two hours doing it; hence, I must value my leisure at $20/hour at a minimum. But really, in economics, we're trying to get away from measuring things with money values, since money has no intrinsic value. The reality is that I value riding my bike for two hours more than anything else I would buy with that money, so I pay the guy to mow my lawn. If you lay on the couch tonight, it's because that is of higher value (satisfaction) to you than the exercise. By the same token, most of us will retire when we decide that much more leisure time is more valuable to us than the things we'd buy with more income. (Not the income itself, since again, money is only useful to buy stuff.)
Old 08-29-19, 04:56 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
Yes, but buying new components to upgrade an old frame can (and usually does) end up more expensive than buying a new bike. And you’re left with a big parts box full of old 9-speed gears that nobody will take off your hands.
I love Shimano 9speed stuff, for the ability to mix and match road and MTB.
Old 08-29-19, 07:04 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I never said I cared what people spend on a bike.... I just said it seemed like a waste of money....once again the thought police here on bf get an attitude towards anybody’s opinion or thoughts that don’t jive with the. Collective mindset...... and u bought a 4800 dollar bike that was 2 years old for 900 thank you for making my point so clearly
Classic.
You now imply you don’t care what people spend on a bike but you started a thread titled ‘Are new bikes a huge waste of money’

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.