Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Are new bikes a huge waste of money?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Are new bikes a huge waste of money?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-19, 07:53 PM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Classic.
You now imply you don’t care what people spend on a bike but you started a thread titled ‘Are new bikes a huge waste of money’
. I don’t care if u spend a million dollars on a bike. It’s a simple question are new bikes a huge waste of money...since there value falls faster than anything
Old 08-29-19, 07:58 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Actually, some things are a small waste of money.

I think it's a crying shame I can't afford another 1972 Plymouth Duster Twister.

Then again my driving sucks.
Old 08-29-19, 08:09 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by robnol
. I don’t care if u spend a million dollars on a bike. It’s a simple question are new bikes a huge waste of money...since there value falls faster than anything
Earlier in this thread you clearly stated that people are dumb for buying a new bike.
You most likely are unable to recall or even comprehend your own posts but based upon your own words, you do in fact care if someone spends a million dollars on a bike.
Old 08-29-19, 08:11 PM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
This might be the first time I have seen bikeforums be called like minded. Threads devolve into a puddle of cess multiple times a day due to arguing over what is actually totally unimportant stuff in life. But apparently this place is likeminded?
All I have seen is that so far everyone has disagreed with you. If this continues, it would probably be the first thread where there collective agreement forms.

Why post here if you dont enjoy it?
I read bf when there’s nothing on tv
Likes For robnol:
Old 08-29-19, 08:27 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
components can easily be upgraded if u have any mechanical aptitude a person acn easily doit ....its not hard at all
Sure, but then the cheap bike is not so cheap anymore.

I know where you are coming from, I’ve been through that several times. Buy a cheap bike and upgrade. A great way to learn about wrenching, but a very expensive way to get to the end product. I’ve had a few bikes like that. No regrets, and I do like choosing each component, but it did not save me any money in the end. Quite the opposite, actually.

And with an older used bike you may not in fact be able to upgrade to some newer stuff.
(if that matters) This is especially true for MTBs, but applies to some road bikes to a lesser extent as well. How many 9 year old road bikes can you upgrade with through axles, discs or 32mm tires? Maybe these matter, maybe not.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 08-29-19, 08:32 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I love these "people are dopes for spending $XXXX on a bike" threads.

Thanks OP. We were due for a new one!
Old 08-29-19, 08:39 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Nice. Was that Twister yours, RF?

My last muscle car:

Sold it for more than I paid for it, after investing a few bucks and using it as a daily driver for many years.

Last edited by AlmostTrick; 08-29-19 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-29-19, 08:51 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts
components can easily be upgraded if u have any mechanical aptitude a person acn easily doit ....its not hard at all
Yes, but the real question is do you buy new components or wait until they’re 9 years old to get them cheaper? There’s the rub. Long upgrade cycle.
Old 08-29-19, 08:55 PM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Yes, but the real question is do you buy new components or wait until they’re 9 years old to get them cheaper? There’s the rub. Long upgrade cycle.
Going out of ur way to avoid the main point
Old 08-29-19, 08:57 PM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
I love these "people are dopes for spending $XXXX on a bike" threads.

Thanks OP. We were due for a new one!
I do what I can
Old 08-29-19, 08:57 PM
MattTheHat 

Going out of ur way to avoid the main point
Not really. I think it’s pretty valid. If a new bike is a waste of money, wouldn’t new components be a waste of money?
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 08-29-19, 08:59 PM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by Kapusta

I know where you are coming from, I’ve been through that several times. Buy a cheap bike and upgrade. A great way to learn about wrenching, but a very expensive way to get to the end product. I’ve had a few bikes like that. No regrets, and I do like choosing each component, but it did not save me any money in the end. Quite the opposite, actually.

And with an older used bike you may not in fact be able to upgrade to some newer stuff.
(if that matters) This is especially true for MTBs, but applies to some road bikes to a lesser extent as well. How many 9 year old road bikes can you upgrade with through axles, discs or 32mm tires? Maybe these matter, maybe not.
How or what u want to upgrade a bike with has to be taken into consideration when u buy a bike
Old 08-29-19, 09:00 PM
robnol
Banned

Not really. I think it’s pretty valid. If a new bike is a waste of money, wouldn’t new components be a waste of money?
Or maybe wasting less money
Old 08-29-19, 09:01 PM
MattTheHat 

But if you can find me a nice 9 year old crabon bike with through axles, tubeless crabon wheels, 2x11 electronic shifting, and disk brakes for $1000 I’d be eternally thankful. And then I’d agree with you and I’d get your main point.
Old 08-29-19, 09:02 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Nice. Was that Twister yours, RF?

My last muscle car:

Sold it for more than I paid for it, after investing a few bucks and using it as a daily driver for many years.

I bought a Chevy Nova for $60 once. Needed a starter and a windshield wiper motor.

It was an '86, though.

My most recent Chevy score was one of these beauties. Got her for $300 and it holds a lot of cheep bikes with all the seats but the front row yanked out.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 08-29-19 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-29-19, 09:06 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 135 Posts
So OP, how about you tell us all about your new "5k" bike, and let us revel in your purchasing skills.

In other words, lets us know what you bought.
Old 08-29-19, 09:12 PM
robnol
Banned

But if you can find me a nice 9 year old crabon bike with through axles, tubeless crabon wheels, 2x11 electronic shifting, and disk brakes for $1000 I’d be eternally thankful. And then I’d agree with you and I’d get your main point.
just wait 5 years and will will be able to buy it for pennies on the dollar....u need all that stuff to keep up with the current trends or to help augment a lack of ability
Old 08-29-19, 09:25 PM
robnol
Banned

Originally Posted by Wileyrat
So OP, how about you tell us all about your new "5k" bike, and let us revel in your purchasing skills.

In other words, lets us know what you bought.
its a 2011 cervello p3 dura ace
Old 08-29-19, 09:44 PM
envigado

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I’m part of idiot group
Likes For envigado:
Old 08-29-19, 09:46 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
i don't have a TV, TV's (used or new) are a waste of money, I am not dumb enough to buy a TV.
Old 08-29-19, 10:05 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by Kapusta

So it wasn't cheap, but........ Find me another (sold as new) XT 10 speed 1x with ultegra crank hybrid on the market.
I have around $75 for the Crosscut, $100 in powder coat, Wolf tooth chain ring $forget 42t 130 bcd), i already had crank, $20 for ultegra BB, $100 HS11 brakes (pair), XT 11-36 cassette, saint shifter and XT RD from CRC, $220 ish ? i forget) Ergon grips, I already had the mavic ksyrium elites, $80 pair of 700x38 panaracer pasela Pt's LBS. $680 ish but for what it is. I like it better than many hybrids on the market. Love it for its aggressive geo, I hate it because its 27 almost 28 pounds!

I might be tempted to jump to a gravelbike carbon frame and make a lighter flat bar hybrid. with hydra disc brakes. however hand selecting parts for a personal bicycle is never about saving money. It's about being fun and buying what you want. I don't really ride the hybrid enough to justify the cost. I do ride the $280 singlespeed enough to want to build a BB30 caad9 frame up with eccentric BB as a single speed, but with wheels and all. it's going to be over $1000 for a single speed. why Caad9 over caad10/12 the seat tube has no braze on bracket. I am petty like that.
Old 08-29-19, 10:06 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552
Ok. I'd rather not wait 10 years to get the bike I have today for "pennies on the dollar" when I bought it brand new for 50% of MSRP anyway. Big difference in components after 10 years. I'll happily sell you my bike in 10 years for pennies on the dollar after I've enjoyed it for a decade.

Likes For one4smoke:
Old 08-29-19, 10:12 PM
Metieval

Originally Posted by envigado
I’m part of idiot group
that is so pretty.
Old 08-29-19, 10:32 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
i recently bought a bike on ebay ..it cost 5000 brand new it is carbon fiber in pristine condition with high end components...its 9 years old ..its more bike than i could afford when it was new. i bought in a auction on ebay for 1000 dollars and 100 for shipping...i ask myself why people shell out mega bucks for new bikes when they can buy it for pennies on the dollar later....there are alot of high dollar bike deals on ebay...buying new seems like a waste of money
I buy new ... in part because I'd be concerned if I bought a pre-owned bike, it would've been owned by someone much too frugal and cheap for my tastes.
Old 08-29-19, 10:38 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
Originally Posted by envigado
I’m part of idiot group
That's a beauty!!!

I've got a little over $200 into my Basso. Still needs better brakes and bar tape, though.

Likes For LesterOfPuppets:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.