Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chain guard for winter cycling?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-19, 03:10 PM
bicyclepost

Bikes: 2022 Kona Rove, 1991 Bianchi Ibex drop-bar conversion, 1974 Peugeot AE8 singlespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

I have a touring bike for summer use but I recently rekindled my love for my old hybrid bike I used before I got my tourer. I'm an all year round bike commuter (even here in Eastern Ontario) and am thinking this winter I'll use my old hybrid. I want to convert/modify it into more of a comfort bike or Dutch style bike (an Opafiets if you will).

I mayyy need to store it outside as I'm in a small apartment with a narrow staircase up to the second floor and I'm wondering if a chain guard would be of any help in protecting the chain from the elements. Of course the bike has a front and rear derailleur (as opposed to an internal gear hub) but I don't really change my front gears so I could possibly take that derailleur off. Could anyone provide me with information on how to fit a chain guard and if it's even worth it?

Thanks!
Old 09-09-19, 10:34 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Chain guard will primarily protect your pants from getting stained but not chain. Front fender will presumably do more for the chain than the guard. There exist enclosed chain guards, but for these you cannot have a rear derailleur either.
Old 09-11-19, 02:05 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
yeah a very low hanging front fender with an added mudflap will help that chain out

been scratching my head for a while about how to improve my chain protection on my mountain bike cuz a low hanging full front fender doesn't makes sense on a mountain bike. I crafted a protective plate out of tin foil as a prototype but never created a working prototype that I could mount on the bottom bracket to protect that area

Old 09-12-19, 04:57 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
I would never consider a bike without a chainguard, so I appreciate your position. It is possible to retrofit a chainguard, https://www.dutchbikebits.com/chainguards, but it is quite a fiddle. I think the best move is to buy a hub geared bike that already has one built in. The n+1 principle applies here.
Likes For PaulH: