Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Anyone made a commitment to live car free?

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Anyone made a commitment to live car free?

Old 09-19-19, 03:48 PM
Alligator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For now, I’m car-lite, but not car-free yet. I will have completed four rides into work this week after tomorrow, but I drove on Wednesday because of two reasons: (1) I was physically exhausted since I’m not used to biking this much yet, and (2) it was pouring rain. I did get some rain gear, and have ridden in the rain, but for some reason I don’t have the endurance yet that I thought I had. I guess biking a couple of times a week for shorter distances does not mean you can instantly switch to 20+ miles a day, everyday. I hope to be biking all week soon. Biking to work is great once you are really familiar with the roads and your commute - then it feels very comfortable. As an added bonus, they just repaved one of the streets I use, so the road is VERY smooth!

Still, I consider this great progress. I love the cooler weather of fall, and I still enjoy biking in the winter. I’m just not sure how well plowed the roads on my commute will be, but I guess I’ll find out.
Old 09-20-19, 09:48 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 17 Breezer Radar Pro; 15 Surly Pugsley; 13 Felt Z85; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 43 Posts
Nice!

It took me many years to build up to daily bike commutes, it doesn't have to take years, but I didn't push it.