Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Veloflex Carbon tubular mystery punctures

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-19-19, 12:33 PM
Vince Canepa

Bikes: 1978 Jack Taylor "Tour of Britain", 2010 Cannondale CAAD9-4, 2013, Cannondale Supersix Evo Red Racing, 1969 Jack Taylor Ladies "Tourist" (wife's), 2010 Specialized Dolce Sport (wife's)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I'm hoping someone can offer some insight to a problem I am having with "mystery" punctures of my Veloflex Carbon tubulars. I have them mounted on ENVE 3.4 SES carbon rims. I am using Vittoria Mastik 1 to glue them. The tries have had approximately 1,500 miles on them when this occurs. I'm running the wheels/tires on a 2013 Cannondale Suppersix Evo Red Racing. I have had at least two "punctures" in the past year where I cannot find the source of the leak. Immersing the mounted tire in a tub of water shows leakage not anywhere near the tread, where you would expect a "puncture" to take place, but at the base tape. Yesterday carefully removed the tire from the rim and immersed it in the water. The leak is coming from the lowest part of the sidewall right at the edge of the base tape. I actually removed the base tape and opened the tire in the area where te leak appears and examined the tube. There is a tiny cut, but it is in the area right above the internal polyester ribbon that is supposed to protect the tube. This has to be the toughest part of the tire! I am at a loss how this is happening. I opened the entire casing and examined it under a magnified light. I can't find any evidence of a puncture anywhere. The rims don't show any sign of sharp edges, fibers, etc. Any thoughts?
Old 09-19-19, 02:12 PM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Even though it's something that tubular tires are supposed to avoid, my guess is that it's something like a pinch flat. If you hit something hard, the impact can still tear the inner tube.

Imagine hitting a chunk of asphalt or whatever. It collapses the tire against the rim. A tubular rim is a lot nicer shape than a clincher, but still, that old tube is between a rock and a hard place.

As for why it happens after 1,500 miles or whatever, I think just like everything else, stuff gets old. That's a pretty solid number of miles for a Veloflex Carbon.
Old 09-19-19, 02:44 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 82 Posts
Latex inner tube? Latex has a much shorter shelf-life than butyl, ect.
Old 09-19-19, 05:31 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,230 Times in 851 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Latex inner tube? Latex has a much shorter shelf-life than butyl, ect.
It's a tubular tire.
Old 09-19-19, 08:48 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,791 Times in 2,270 Posts
All replies get a +1 Andy
Old 09-19-19, 10:51 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
It's a tubular tire.
Originally Posted by Vince Canepa
... I actually removed the base tape and opened the tire in the area where te leak appears and examined the tube...
Old 09-20-19, 06:15 AM
Vince Canepa

Bikes: 1978 Jack Taylor "Tour of Britain", 2010 Cannondale CAAD9-4, 2013, Cannondale Supersix Evo Red Racing, 1969 Jack Taylor Ladies "Tourist" (wife's), 2010 Specialized Dolce Sport (wife's)

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ljsense
Even though it's something that tubular tires are supposed to avoid, my guess is that it's something like a pinch flat. If you hit something hard, the impact can still tear the inner tube.

Imagine hitting a chunk of asphalt or whatever. It collapses the tire against the rim. A tubular rim is a lot nicer shape than a clincher, but still, that old tube is between a rock and a hard place.

As for why it happens after 1,500 miles or whatever, I think just like everything else, stuff gets old. That's a pretty solid number of miles for a Veloflex Carbon.
I did consider that possibility but this is the first such issue in 40+ years riding tubulars. Also, the roads I ride are in nice condition and I really can't recall running over anything that could cause this. The tire is 11 months old, or at least that is when I bought it from the folks I have used for years - World Class Cycles. Maybe their stock is old? I went through my Garmin files and the tire has 1,954 miles. The tread is still in very good condition. The tube is very supple - virtually new. The previous tire, which had the same type of failure, only had 893 miles. Anyway, thanks for the replies and, bottom line, I'll pay very close attention in the future and take note of any significant impacts that may cause this.
Old 09-20-19, 09:43 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
After you opened the casing, did you water test the tube?
Old 09-20-19, 12:13 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
After 1500 miles I would say the tires are done.
Old 09-20-19, 01:50 PM
Vince Canepa

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
After you opened the casing, did you water test the tube?
Yes. No leaks on the tread side of the tube, only near the base tape.
Old 09-20-19, 02:15 PM
Jean_TX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Perhaps the leak was caused by the rim - check out https://www.velonews.com/2019/09/bik...yrenees_500757
Old 09-20-19, 04:51 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,737 Times in 1,497 Posts
Originally Posted by Jean_TX
Perhaps the leak was caused by the rim - check out https://www.velonews.com/2019/09/bik...yrenees_500757
tubular tire not tubeless

Old 09-20-19, 06:04 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,791 Times in 2,270 Posts
Sew ups are well known for the "leak" to be away from the actual spot of the leak. Air (like water) seeks the path of least resistance. Think of the leaking toilet on the second floor that drips a room away on the first floor. The water runs along a joist and to a low point before pooling and thus dripping through the ceiling. same for air in a sewn casing. It may well be That the air is traveling inside the casing till a gap to the outside world is found.

This and other reasons is why many give up on sew ups after a few non repairable flats. Andy
Old 09-20-19, 06:23 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Have you considered putting sealant in the tube?
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 09-21-19, 01:29 PM
Vince Canepa

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Andrew - Yes, the actual leak can travel before it surfaces on the exterior. But in this case, after I opened the initial site, I stripped the entire and removed the tube. The result is still the same - the leak has occurred near the base tape. And after 40+ years I know how frustrating tubulars can be, but I'm old, hard headed and I love the things:-)

horatio - Not this time around. I have used Calfee Latex in the past and it was OK for a while. But it eventually let go and latex ended up all over my back. So I just sort of gave up. To be honest, I've had mixed results with sealant in tubeless rims also. So for my tubeless setups I now run them without sealant and carry a spare tube to throw in in case of a flat - works fine

trailangel - does this tire look done? To my idea it still has some miles left in it. I'm pretty easy on tires. Veloflex gives a range of 1,800 to 3,600 miles for these tires.

Once again - thank you for the comments.