Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need Major help on my road bike

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Need Major help on my road bike

Old 09-25-19, 10:05 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Keep your current bike and ride it for a season. Find out what you like and don't like about the bike. If after a season you feel the bike is holding you back, sell it and buy the bike you want based on your experience.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 09-25-19, 10:37 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I think those bike dudes are misinterpeting the Roubaix's reputation for being a comfortable ride preferred by older riders as meaning it's slow. Ask them how much the Roubaix slowed down Peter Sagan or Phillipe Gilbert at Paris-Roubaix?

At lower levels it's absolutely about the rider more than the bike. If you're an inexperienced rider, you need more time in the saddle, and a bike you feel comfortable riding is essential. If you're serious about becoming a faster rider, a power meter with any working bike will make more of a difference than picking one bike in the performance road bike category over another.
Likes For surak:
Old 09-25-19, 11:57 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by thedemoncowboy
Local guys here, and guys on ******.

I agree with your sentiment as I'm new but I'm willing to do my best to become better.
  • Talked to a "bike dude," he said "That tarmac would smoke your Roubaix."
  • Talked to another "Bike dude," he said "The new Roubaix has much better components."
They said because of the shape of the tubes I would be impeccably slower.... IMPECCABLY SLOWER -_-
Well, **** those guys.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-25-19, 12:01 PM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
I think those bike dudes are misinterpeting the Roubaix's reputation for being a comfortable ride preferred by older riders as meaning it's slow. Ask them how much the Roubaix slowed down Peter Sagan or Phillipe Gilbert at Paris-Roubaix?

At lower levels it's absolutely about the rider more than the bike. If you're an inexperienced rider, you need more time in the saddle, and a bike you feel comfortable riding is essential. If you're serious about becoming a faster rider, a power meter with any working bike will make more of a difference than picking one bike in the performance road bike category over another.
+1 I had a 2015 Roubaix, it's a pretty good bike. It's a more upright geometry vs Tarmac. I'm also guessing it's a bit more comfortable since I never owned a Tarmac.
Old 09-25-19, 04:24 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8254 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
That Tarmac will smoke your Roubaix? They're not motorcycles. You will find riders on beat up cheap bikes who can smoke YOU, regardless of which bike you are riding.
I have an expensive bike and people drop me all the time.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-25-19, 05:45 PM
Baldy1953

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
For the most part, I have found it is the motor(rider) not the machine that makes one fast. There was a local guy that could smoke just about anyone around on any bike he straddled. More or less a local legend. Had moved away now.

Keep the bike and ride the daylights out of it. You will find out soon enough if you are fast enough for the bike.
Old 09-25-19, 07:37 PM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Local guys here, and guys on ******.

I agree with your sentiment as I'm new but I'm willing to do my best to become better.
  • Talked to a "bike dude," he said "That tarmac would smoke your Roubaix."
  • Talked to another "Bike dude," he said "The new Roubaix has much better components."
They said because of the shape of the tubes I would be impeccably slower.... IMPECCABLY SLOWER -_-
The Roubaix is an endurance frame, the Tarmac is a lightweight race frame built to be as stiff and light as possible. Both are pro level frames, so anyone who says the one is "better" than the other is dumb. They are good at different things.

If you are looking for something that will be comfortable over long distances, especially on rough roads, amd still be very fast, the Roubaix is a good choice. Pro riders use this bike in the spring classics, over cobbles, etc.

If you are looking for the frame that is lighter, better at racing fast, but not necessarily the most comfortable, the tarmac is the better choice. Pro riders use this bike as an all round road bike for fast races, climbing, etc.

Seeing as you are a beginner, I would lean towards the Roubaix regardless, as it will inspire you to do longer rides in comfort. Also at your level, even if doing some races, neither bike will mean the difference between winning or losing for you, so whatever you choose, dont stress out about it.

Groupset choice will be irrelevant for your purposes, get whatever your wallet is happy with, 105 or above will be more than good enough.

Good luck!
Old 09-25-19, 10:26 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
get the 2020 roubiax, it has the updated future-shock 2.0
Old 09-25-19, 10:35 PM
thedemoncowboy

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by maartendc
The Roubaix is an endurance frame, the Tarmac is a lightweight race frame built to be as stiff and light as possible. Both are pro level frames, so anyone who says the one is "better" than the other is dumb. They are good at different things.

If you are looking for something that will be comfortable over long distances, especially on rough roads, amd still be very fast, the Roubaix is a good choice. Pro riders use this bike in the spring classics, over cobbles, etc.

If you are looking for the frame that is lighter, better at racing fast, but not necessarily the most comfortable, the tarmac is the better choice. Pro riders use this bike as an all round road bike for fast races, climbing, etc.

Seeing as you are a beginner, I would lean towards the Roubaix regardless, as it will inspire you to do longer rides in comfort. Also at your level, even if doing some races, neither bike will mean the difference between winning or losing for you, so whatever you choose, dont stress out about it.

Groupset choice will be irrelevant for your purposes, get whatever your wallet is happy with, 105 or above will be more than good enough.

Good luck!
Im going tarmac, but cant choose color
Old 09-26-19, 07:19 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
It's been noted several times that the Roubaix is an "Endurance" bike. But let's be clear - it's an "Endurance RACE" bike. It has a slightly taller headtube and longer wheelbase to make it more comfortable when racing over cobbles. It is by no means slow.

I'd bet for most riders, the Roubaix is probably the better option than the Tarmac.
Old 09-26-19, 07:52 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Just go with what you think will impress the cycling clique more annd thus elevate your status within.
Likes For tagaproject6:
Old 09-26-19, 08:10 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I'm beginning to think the OP lives under a bridge and collects coins for a living.
Old 09-26-19, 08:41 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8254 Post(s)
Liked 8,962 Times in 4,447 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
It's been noted several times that the Roubaix is an "Endurance" bike. But let's be clear - it's an "Endurance RACE" bike. It has a slightly taller headtube and longer wheelbase to make it more comfortable when racing over cobbles. It is by no means slow.

I'd bet for most riders, the Roubaix is probably the better option than the Tarmac.
We tried.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-26-19, 09:20 AM
smullen

Bikes: Trek 4900, Giant Anthem x 29er 4

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You are new to riding and bought an almost $6000 bike. It isnt going to hold you back. You are going to hold the bike back due to lack of strength/endurance/experience.

Who specifically are the naysayers you mention?
And why specifically will your bike be 'super slow'?

Would love to hear who and why- its be interesting.
This, all of this!!!!

No matter what you buy, or spend someone is always going to slight it.

Same with Guns, cars, zero turn riders, Woofers/Car Audio equipment, etc...

Its nice to have others approval and likes (in this age of social media), but at I always feel that at some point, I have to do research on whatever it is I'm looking at buying/building and choose my product on my own.

What right for Billy Bob may not be right for me.... What right for me, may not be right for Tyrell...

I read all the factory data, reviews and peoples opinions, dump them all in a virtual pot, stir them up a bit, then form my own decision.

Remember, no matter how much you spend, (on anything) there is likely to be something better. It might be the next model year, but it will happen.
Old 09-26-19, 09:31 AM
Rick53

Bikes: Verve, Dual Sport 2 and FX3

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
Sorry, this is odd, but I'm getting frustrated what bike to get or keep.

I bought the Roubaix Expert 2019 (This years model), last week, but now I'm worried it won't be a great bike (from the nay-sayers). So now I'm perplexed if I should get the 2020 Tarmac Disc Di2 (Cheaper, but Tarmac) as its the only color combo I like, or get the 2020 Roubaix Expert? I want to use it for Endurance Racing, Communtting and racing. However, where I live in Montana its a lot of uphill and downhill.

I have the option to pay restocking fee and go for the more expensive Roubaix 2020, or get the cheaper Tarmac Disc Di2 .. I'm new to this bike thing and I want a good bike (and yes, I'm aware all of these bikes are fantastic) but people keep saying my 2019 will be super slow .... So Do I pay the restocking fee, and get the 2020, Disc Comp Di2, or keep my current bike? Any help would be great
It's always been My experience that someone who trashes another purchase he usually can't afford what you bought . So he demeans it > Plus you have to keep in mind Everyone is a Doctor, a Lawyer and a Bike Expert, Gun Expert, Master Guitar {Player} . AND ALL THE WOMEN LOVE HIM He's a Legend in his own mind : The heart is wicked and deceitful . Many love to POP someones Bubble : You're New So perfect Target

Get what satisfies You within Your Means : Nobody can keep up with the Jones : So don't worry about them. They've maxed out their credit anyway
Old 09-26-19, 03:11 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
There are no slow bikes; just slow riders.
Old 09-26-19, 03:34 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Ride the bike you bought and enjoy it if it feels right when you ride.

Heck I purchased a new (never ridden) 2013 Orbea Orca in January 2015 because I wanted a nice bike and the price was right. So far I have upgraded the pedals, saddle, bars, stem, groupset, and wheels as I could afford to ride the bike as is for a bit while I saved for a component or two.

My wheels cost 1/2 what I paid for the bike, but they are Rolf wheels and support my weight very well.
Old 09-27-19, 04:32 AM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Sorry, this is odd, but I'm getting frustrated what bike to get or keep.

I bought the Roubaix Expert 2019 (This years model), last week, but now I'm worried it won't be a great bike (from the nay-sayers). So now I'm perplexed if I should get the 2020 Tarmac Disc Di2 (Cheaper, but Tarmac) as its the only color combo I like, or get the 2020 Roubaix Expert? I want to use it for Endurance Racing, Communtting and racing. However, where I live in Montana its a lot of uphill and downhill.

I have the option to pay restocking fee and go for the more expensive Roubaix 2020, or get the cheaper Tarmac Disc Di2 .. I'm new to this bike thing and I want a good bike (and yes, I'm aware all of these bikes are fantastic) but people keep saying my 2019 will be super slow .... So Do I pay the restocking fee, and get the 2020, Disc Comp Di2, or keep my current bike? Any help would be great
Keep the bike. Find new friends.

Last edited by Ross520; 09-27-19 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-27-19, 05:40 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by smullen
Remember, no matter how much you spend, (on anything) there is likely to be something better. It might be the next model year, but it will happen.
No matter how much you spend there is likely to be someone faster on something cheaper. And someone slower on something more expensive.

And to the OP - you will be the same speed on either bike, so get whatever you like better.

Last edited by billyymc; 09-27-19 at 05:44 AM.
Old 09-27-19, 07:24 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10943 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
The Roubaix and Tarmac have pretty different stack and reach measurements. If you were comfortable on a Roubaix, then the Tarmac in that same size will fit a lot differently. You are totally good with that and it doesnt affect you at all?

Funny enough- the rest of the geometry between the bikes is quite similar. In the largest size, the HTA is only .5 degree different with both being aggressive, the STA is the same, BB drop is within a few mm, chainstay length is less than 1cm different, fork rake is the same, trail is the same, etc.
You still never explained WHY the Roubaix is viewed as being so much 'worse'.

...but I also doubt all this is actually happening, so I wont hold my breath waiting to hear details.
Old 09-27-19, 07:30 AM
smullen

Bikes: Trek 4900, Giant Anthem x 29er 4

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by billyymc
No matter how much you spend there is likely to be someone faster on something cheaper. And someone slower on something more expensive.

And to the OP - you will be the same speed on either bike, so get whatever you like better.
I very much agree that both are True.
Old 09-27-19, 07:41 AM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
That Tarmac will smoke your Roubaix? They're not motorcycles. You will find riders on beat up cheap bikes who can smoke YOU, regardless of which bike you are riding.
I have an expensive bike and people drop me all the time.
This. You'll realize it's not the bike when you get gapped by a homeless dude on a 15 year old Mongoose MBX as he creaks by with a broken pedal and a gripshift wrapped around the handlebar, bouncing along to meet that 3pm shelter deadline.
Old 09-27-19, 09:53 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

This has been educational. I now know that there are people whose bike decisions revolve around, well this:
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Just go with what you think will impress the cycling clique more annd thus elevate your status within.
Old 09-27-19, 11:54 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
This has been educational. I now know that there are people whose bike decisions revolve around, well this:
I mean, give the guy a break. He is new to the sport, and he is hearing all kinds of things from "experienced cyclists" about the bike he just spent a bunch of money on. It is natural that he would be worried whether he made the right choice...

On topic: There really is no wrong choice here, assuming you are comfortable on both bikes. Just enjoy it.
Old 09-27-19, 12:07 PM
surak

Originally Posted by maartendc
I mean, give the guy a break. He is new to the sport, and he is hearing all kinds of things from "experienced cyclists" about the bike he just spent a bunch of money on. It is natural that he would be worried whether he made the right choice...
The outcome, after many very helpful responses flew right over OP's head, is a classic case of "you can lead a horse to water, but..."

Last edited by surak; 09-27-19 at 12:27 PM.
Likes For surak:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.