Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

What to wear - 40-60F gravel racing event

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 09-26-19, 10:17 PM
richard.susanto

Bikes: Canyon Grail CF SL Disc 8.0, Canyon Endurace CF SLX Disc 8.0 ETAP

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts

I'm planning to join an 80 miles gravel ride in Northern Wisconsin in the 3rd week of October. Checking the historical weather, it's gonna be in the upper 30's when I start at 7 a.m. in the morning, and in the upper 50's in the late morning/afternoon.

With quite a vast range of temperature, any suggestion on what clothes I should wear/bring with me?

Appreciate the input. Thanks,
Richard
Old 09-26-19, 10:32 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10901 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
Wear whatever you use when you ride in Chicago in late October...its going to in general be the same range/experience.
Road, commuting, mtb- whatever you wear doing those things will work for gravel.

For under 50- I use a thin ear band, arm warmers, knee warmers, toe covers, and wind gloves. I dont do well with cold toes, fingers, or ears. Cold wind is hell on the ears.
If its 45ish or lower, I often use a fitted wind jacket too.
Layers are great as you can more easily adjust for temp as you heat up thru a ride.
A larger saddle bag or frame bag works well to hold anything no longer needed.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-26-19, 10:56 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Armwarmers, kneewarmers, windvest, full gloves.
Likes For caloso:
Old 09-27-19, 07:20 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I like merino wool for its temperature range, moisture wicking, anti-microbial abilities. Ya can spend well over $100 on name brand bike stuff, or just go to salvation army and spend $5 per piece. Smart wool arm merino warmers are worth getting name brand stuff though.

A wind vest that can be folded up and zipped up into its rear pocket is handy, and can be put into a jersey pocket.
Likes For chas58:
Old 09-27-19, 10:45 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
leg warmers and arm warmers. 40-50 my back needs to breath!!!!!

I am still looking for that wind breaker front, wool back combo jersey!

people say that if you keep your core warm the rest of you is warm. I seem to be the opposite, if my toes, legs, hands, ears are warm I am good to go with a wool layer and a windbreaker layer, this is true for 32 degrees also.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 09-27-19, 10:47 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval

people say that if you keep your core warm the rest of you is warm. I seem to be the opposite, if my toes, legs, hands, ears are warm I am good to go with a wool layer and a windbreaker layer, this is true for 32 degrees also.
I totally agree.
Likes For caloso:
Old 09-27-19, 12:59 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts

https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/brev...roduct/BWB02LS
Likes For redlude97:
Old 09-27-19, 01:04 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
My mom always lays my clothes out for me.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 09-27-19, 01:49 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
exactly that! I'd rather see it as short sleeve so I could use my arm warmers, but that works! thanks
Likes For Metieval:
Old 09-27-19, 02:23 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
speedsuit
Old 09-27-19, 02:29 PM
redlude97

exactly that! I'd rather see it as short sleeve so I could use my arm warmers, but that works! thanks
I use those combined with gore windstopper bibs for a lot of our fall gravel/cx riding where I don't want a lot of bulk and just need wind chill protection
Likes For redlude97:
Old 09-27-19, 06:43 PM
richard.susanto

Thanks for everyone who had replied here. It looks like Merino Wool is a good choice here. One of my favorite go-to jerseys is actually the Rapha merino brevet, and I also have one of their classic rain jacket which is great for blocking wind. So, in addition to bringing those with me, I will wear my full gloves, knee and arm warmers as well.

The only thing that I'm thinking about getting is toe covers and a head band. Appreciate it. I think I'm good to go.

~Richard
Old 09-27-19, 06:49 PM
redlude97

Originally Posted by richard.susanto
Thanks for everyone who had replied here. It looks like Merino Wool is a good choice here. One of my favorite go-to jerseys is actually the Rapha merino brevet, and I also have one of their classic rain jacket which is great for blocking wind. So, in addition to bringing those with me, I will wear my full gloves, knee and arm warmers as well.

The only thing that I'm thinking about getting is toe covers and a head band. Appreciate it. I think I'm good to go.

~Richard
You can also go oldschool and wrap your toes inside your shoes and outside your socks with plastic wrap or foil!
Likes For redlude97:
Old 09-27-19, 07:05 PM
richard.susanto

Originally Posted by redlude97
You can also go oldschool and wrap your toes inside your shoes and outside your socks with plastic wrap or foil!
Genius. Thanks. I might do this actually
Old 09-28-19, 02:22 PM
jono_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I find it's not hard to dress for riding in 0-10C that we get for much of our (short) fall season here, but have recently taken to wearing a single sock creatively to address a particularly male problem with riding in cold weather that has nagged me in the past.
Old 09-28-19, 02:32 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
I'm no expert but I'll chime in with others on merino wool. I have a couple Showers Pass Ridgeline shirts that somehow keep me cool when it's hot, and warm when it's cold. I use them as a base layer when it's really cold under a jacket. I've worn them in the desert in SoCal, and the mountains in Montana. Highly recommended.
Likes For pbass:
Old 09-28-19, 03:38 PM
Retrogrouch731

Bikes: 73 Cinelli SC, 77 Trek TX900, 85 Masi Prestige, 85 Gios Professional, 86 Fuji Opus III, 86 Pro Miyata, 87 Koga Miyata FullPro, 89 Trek 660, 91 De Rosa Pro, 91 Cinelli SC, 91 Gary Fisher Procaliber, 91 Stumperjumper comp, 92 Serotta Colorado TG

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 18 Posts
It's always best to dress in layers and do some short test rides to assess what works for you personally and also once you are warmed up.

Last edited by Retrogrouch731; 10-07-19 at 09:05 AM.
Likes For Retrogrouch731:
Old 09-28-19, 03:44 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Clothes! It's going to be too cold to go without. And since you have to wear clothes, try layers so you can peel off as you warm up. And don't forget you'll need somewhere to put those extra layers as you peel them off. Wool wicks away moisture, cotton holds it against you.
Likes For Bigbus:
Old 09-28-19, 05:07 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,436 Times in 1,737 Posts
Nobody's mentioned an undershirt yet, so I will.

I've done several rides that start in the 30s and end anywhere from the 50s to the 100s. If it's below 55 at the start, I'll wear an undershirt.

My favorite one is made by Defeet, the Undshurt Tee.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 09-30-19, 10:26 AM
Hmmm

Bikes: TCX & CAAD3 SAECO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
With temperatures that change a lot I like wearing layers and bringing a bar bag to stash those layers. Cargo bibs help with layer storage as well.
Likes For Hmmm:
Old 09-30-19, 11:18 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
I'm surprised @TimothyH hasn't given his recommendations from the Rapha catalog yet.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-01-19, 01:43 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
My favorite accessory for rides with big swings in temperature is a rack or bag with room for layers that I'll peel off as it warms or carry to add as it cools off.
Likes For BluesDawg:
Old 10-01-19, 02:23 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 246 Posts
I'm planning to join an 80 miles gravel ride in Northern Wisconsin in the 3rd week of October. Checking the historical weather, it's gonna be in the upper 30's when I start at 7 a.m. in the morning, and in the upper 50's in the late morning/afternoon.

With quite a vast range of temperature, any suggestion on what clothes I should wear/bring with me?

Richard
If you're racing, you'll generate plenty of heat, and you should try to be just a little chilled at the start line. Leg warmers are hard to lose without stopping, but add arm warmers, a sleeveless base layer, and a ear muff you can pull off or that doubles as a helmet liner and you should be good.

What would you normally ride on a training ride in that temp range?

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 10-02-19, 10:35 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Clothing

Richard

Just did one of these this past weekend. I tend to overheat easily if dressed too warmly for the conditions. Our ride started out at 33 degrees F, ended at 58. I knew I wasn't going to be going all out, because my spouse was riding with me, and they just haven't been able to get enough miles in to ride hard and not blow up. Base some of your clothing decisions on how much effort you intend to ride at. If you're going to be doing a reasonably easy cruising speed that you feel you can maintain all day if need be, you can probably dress a little warmer and more comfortable than if you think your going to be putting out a higher level of effort that is bound to generate a lot more body heat and sweat. It really sucks getting chilled from sweat soaked layers.

So, I wore a wool long sleeved jersey, full length riding tights (not thermal), regular socks/shoes, full finger gloves, light weight head band/ear cover, normal helmet, and a 3-season jacket. The jacket is not super expensive...no desirable pit zips, lol, and, it's not one I would choose for harder effort, as it has few panels to allow air/excess moisture to pass through than my better jacket (that also lacks pit zips) to keep air circulating/less moisture retention, however, it's a good choice for a moderate effort when it's down right cold.

Last night's training ride was just miserable...looks like it's going to be just as terrible tonight. 40's, windy, raining....... I dressed with my better jacket....it's merely water resistant, so where it has panels at the elbow to "breathe" I got some wet in the hour plus I was out there, some sweat cause I was pushing it hard to get done as quickly as possible...legs were soaked from the rain, but didn't feel it while riding. Shoe covers are a god sent....feet were dry, and warm. So, you can always throw on a set of shoe covers to help block wind, they don't seem to bother me as temps warm up, as I've used them in the summer as well during rainy wet rides.

Good luck, and have fun.
Likes For Craptacular8:
Old 10-02-19, 10:51 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts

Richard
It's very individual. While riding The Heck of the North (Northern Minnesota) this past Saturday, we talked about you're either cold at the start of hot at the end. We had frost at the start line and finished around 55F, sunny all day, light winds in the afternoon.

Here's my kit for the 108-mile day:

summer team kit
Smartwool base layer top
team wind-vest (removed at mile 58)
nordic ski gloves (removed at mile 40)
DAMn swag neck buff
Pearl Izumi knee warmers
Darn Tough snowboard socks
'warm' cycle cap - it's a cotton cap, thicker/warmer than a summer cap
* I typically need less clothing to be comfortable and I pushed it hard on this ride

You can see my finish line kit pic in this thread:
https://www.bikeforums.net/fatbikes/...t-fatbike.html -

My best recommendation is: layers. And make it easy to remove or vent as the ride warms up.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 10-02-19 at 10:53 AM. Reason: typos - of course
Likes For Hypno Toad:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.