Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Kiwi Raleigh 20

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Kiwi Raleigh 20

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-19, 05:21 AM
slow_runner

Bikes: Early Shadow handcycle plus R20 project

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Kiwi Raleigh 20

This might be better moved to " Show me your Raleigh 20? "
Could the moderators arrange this? Thanks.

This Raleigh came to me when I bought the bike solely for the Sachs Duo hub and was surprised to see this mechanism used to separate the frame.
The previous owner had 'preserved' the metalwork with PA10 etch primer. It was originally a metallic blue - - - on the bottom bracket there is a wire connection insulator that has the original colour beneath. I'm not sure that here is enough there to get a accurate match but I am hopeful that there will be records of the correct paint somewhere.

I know of only one other example of this Raleigh 20 frame style. Maybe there are more......

At the moment I am in two minds whether to keep it wholly original, or not.
In the meantime I am selecting the best of the junk parts I have available and looking out for parts I do not have on hand.

Last edited by slow_runner; 10-04-19 at 06:00 AM. Reason: edit
Old 10-04-19, 06:36 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Not a 20 because it doesn't fold like a Twenty. Maybe a Shopper or a KIWI only bike. Roger

Last edited by rhenning; 10-04-19 at 06:39 AM.
Old 10-04-19, 11:46 AM
slow_runner

Originally Posted by rhenning
Not a 20 because it doesn't fold like a Twenty. Maybe a Shopper or a KIWI only bike. Roger
Gidday Roger. Yes, as the title says, it is a Kiwi Raleigh 20. They were made here in New Zealand under license to Raleigh Nottingham by Morrison Industries of Napier. This was back in the days when the number of sheep outnumbered Kiwis by at least a factor of 20:1.
When we protected our economy and defended our industries .
Along with the standard Raleigh 20, the Raleigh 20 folder was also made here in numbers.
My understanding is Raleigh 20s comes in 2 different forms, folders & fixed frame. - perhaps that is not the perception elsewhere?

Last edited by slow_runner; 10-04-19 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-04-19, 03:03 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
I have had four Raleigh 20 inch bikes. The 3 folders had Twenty decals on them (2 brown and one green) and 3 different years The non folder had a Shopper decal and was bought as a frame set. There was also a 16 inch Shopper that has a similar but different. Kiwi bikes may be way different. Roger
Old 10-04-19, 04:13 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
ok another reason besides katchafire and "what we do in the shadows" to add a visit to NZ to my list....cool bikes maybe not found elsewhere

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 10-04-19, 04:20 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
So, there's a captured bolt running in the downtube that separates the frame into 2 pieces? Running all the way to the headtube?
Old 10-04-19, 06:12 PM
slow_runner

Originally Posted by rhenning
I have had four Raleigh 20 inch bikes. The 3 folders had Twenty decals on them (2 brown and one green) and 3 different years The non folder had a Shopper decal and was bought as a frame set. There was also a 16 inch Shopper that has a similar but different. Kiwi bikes may be way different. Roger
Hi Roger, they're all Raleigh 20s regardless of the label they carry. Whether folder or fixed frame = Raleigh 20.
Chevrolet Malibu coupe or saloon = Chevrolet Malibu, right?
If you are still not convinced, then do a google 'Raleigh 20 ebay uk' search.
You will find Triumph 20 shoppers also. Its all badging.

Last edited by slow_runner; 10-05-19 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-04-19, 06:18 PM
slow_runner

Originally Posted by squirtdad
ok another reason besides katchafire and "what we do in the shadows" to add a visit to NZ to my list....cool bikes maybe not found elsewhere
You know some good music when you hear it. Most of our bicycle manufactures went to the wall when Asian cheap junk was allowed in and knobbled the industry with cheap labour manufactured goods.
And we fell for the affordable pricing and compromised quality.
I doubt you will find much on the detachable but if you do, please post here or PM me.
I only know of one other example.
Old 10-04-19, 06:30 PM
slow_runner

Originally Posted by clubman
So, there's a captured bolt running in the downtube that separates the frame into 2 pieces? Running all the way to the headtube?
Hello Clubman. The frame sections are secured by a bolt the same as the folder and threads into a threaded welded in insert at the end of the frame tube. Where the bolt passes through the seat tube is a welded insert to prevent tube collapse and ensure a decent load can be applied without fear.
The 'Shotgun' method of attachment is bullet proof ( this has been confirmed in discussions with the owner of the other operational example)
At the front of the main frame tube is a terminal; at the end that abuts the seat tube is a spring loaded contact- a wire connects the two.
Within the seat tube is a wire that runs from a terminal that, when the two frame halves are secured, connect via the spring loaded contact and terminal. The other end terminates at a brass connection that is located beneath the BB. From there the wiring connects to a tail light. At the front, the head light wiring connects to the main tube terminal.
Pictures would be better. I will get a couple together but for now I will highlight existing images to better illustrate my description.

Last edited by slow_runner; 10-06-19 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-05-19, 10:12 AM
slow_runner

R20 Detachable connections

Last edited by slow_runner; 10-06-19 at 07:47 PM.
Likes For slow_runner: