Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

OneUp Dropper v2 sticking at top

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-19, 09:59 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

The OneUp Dropper v2 dropper post on my mountain bike is not returning to the top when released. The post goes up, I'd say 95% of the way. For the post to go all the way up, I need to press the lever and pull the seat up.

Any idea on how I can fix this? Does the dropper just need more air? Or is it more serious?

Thank you.
Old 10-07-19, 04:38 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Well, more air would be a quick and easy thing to check before going further.
Old 10-09-19, 10:10 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
I've never really worked on one of those. They do have the excellent and unique feature of being travel adjustable with shims--maybe you just have one of these installed and you're actually just forcing the post past it's reduced travel when you pull up on the post?

If that's not it, try checking the air pressure--they say 250-300 psi. You need a dedicated shock pump for this.

Might also be just some friction. Easy thing to try would be to put some light grease (preferably suspension grease like slick honey) on the post and cycle it, more involved would be taking it apart and cleaning and greasing the seals. The actual cartridge in that fork is nonserviceable. It's replaceable but that product is too recent to need it.
Old 10-09-19, 03:14 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I just ordered a pump for shocks. Once the pump arrives I'll see about increasing the air pressure. I have also done some google searching around and this seems to be a acknowledged problem. Other riders are having the same problem. Some have ordered replacement parts while other have applied WD40/Silicon lube to the post. Hopefully the issue can be solved relatively easily.