Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Finally got a Brooks saddle.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Finally got a Brooks saddle.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-19, 02:55 PM
LDBenjamin

Bikes: Schwinn Madison, Haluzak Horizon, Mongoose Brutus, Roland MTB, Sinclair A-Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
If you haven't treated your ass to a Brooks saddle yet, are on the fence about comfort.....DO IT!

Best cycling purchase I have made in a long time.
Yep, Brooks is great. The more upright your riding position, the wider they are supposed to be, and the wider ones also have springs. I remember seeing a diagram once, maybe on Sheldon Brown's site showing the correct Brooks for each position.

Also, Proofide must be kept in the house - I kept mine in the garage and it liquified in the heat.
Old 10-14-19, 02:57 PM
LDBenjamin

Bikes: Schwinn Madison, Haluzak Horizon, Mongoose Brutus, Roland MTB, Sinclair A-Bike

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I have had a B17 for a couple of weeks now. Still making incremental changes to get it right. I have to give it more time but it is just ok. Still not keen on the looks and the wide skirts. I have a couple of other saddles that, at this point, I prefer. I am glad I did not pay full price for a new one.
It is not difficult to cut the skirts off. Draw the line in pencil, and once you have it, make a cardboard template so you can duplicate it perfectly on the other side.
Old 10-14-19, 03:09 PM
ldawson

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have ridden on an Ideate 90 leather saddle since the early 80’s. Since then I’ve bought two other bikes and put Brooks Flyers on them. No break in period for my rear on any of the three.
Old 10-14-19, 03:35 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
Over the weekend, Sat. and Sun., I had rides of 37 miles and 40 miles. The Brooks B17 was really good. I believe I now have it positioned properly for me. I also believe that one of my earlier rides with it, the shorts I wore were part of the problem. I got on the saddle with those shorts for quick test ride around the neighborhood and realized the padding is a bit thicker than I usually wear, and also, there is a section of the pad that tends to get bunched up in the center. I do not notice it when riding a saddle with a cutout. I now know not to wear that when getting on the Brooks. Thanks to everyone that offered advice and experience.

Last edited by delbiker1; 10-14-19 at 03:38 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-14-19, 04:28 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
I just can’t imagine any saddle being more comfortable than my Selle Anatomica H1.
Did 127 miles a month or so ago, and never thought about my behind. Not once.

That says it all.
Old 10-14-19, 05:17 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
Selle San Marco is another not on the list (post 23).
The Selle San Marco saddles on their website seem to list leather covers over 'Techno-polymer' shell. Do they actually offer a true tensioned leather saddle (w/o plastic base)?
Old 10-14-19, 05:19 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1670 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
You forgot Rivet Cycle Works near Sacramento.
It's listed: look close: it's the one that starts with 'Rivet'.
Old 10-14-19, 09:07 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
The Selle San Marco saddles on their website seem to list leather covers over 'Techno-polymer' shell. Do they actually offer a true tensioned leather saddle (w/o plastic base)?
My mistake since the list is only for true tensioned leather saddles
Old 10-15-19, 07:34 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
How is it not? Regardless, some of us find squishy saddles far less comfortable than firm ones. The padding presses up into soft tissue, where a hard saddle just bears on the sit bones if it’s set up right. Maybe that helps with your initial “I don’t understand...”.
I do understand the aspect of padding pushing into soft areas, yes. This can cause circulation issues. But a brooks just looks like the opposite extreme, where all the pressure is on a small area (sit bones) and that seems hard on the small area of skin/flesh under them, hence the question...
Old 10-15-19, 08:37 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
I do understand the aspect of padding pushing into soft areas, yes. This can cause circulation issues. But a brooks just looks like the opposite extreme, where all the pressure is on a small area (sit bones) and that seems hard on the small area of skin/flesh under them, hence the question...
Just look at some pictures of older used Brooks saddles. You can usually see the areas where the sit bones spend most of their time as a depression, without necessarily deforming the rest of the saddle. While the saddle is breaking in, the area supporting the rider changes to support more of the rider, until the fibrin network in the leather can balance the forces from the rider's butt without tearing or stretching anymore.

Modern saddles accomplish the same thing with a balanced approach to foam, enough support for pedaling, enough give for comfort to balance rider weight without overly compressing the tissue between the bone and the saddle.
Old 10-15-19, 08:50 AM
edscott.

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
If you haven't treated your ass to a Brooks saddle yet, are on the fence about comfort.....DO IT!

Best cycling purchase I have made in a long time.
Nah! I got a Brooks and it really is quite crappy. The metal base has absolutely no flexibility and it sends the impact from the road directly to your bones. A Selle San Marco (with just about the same saddle building tradition as Brooks) made out of carbon fiber and with titanium rails is much better, at least for a roadie like me. Although my true favorite is the Selle Italia Turbo 1980, maybe because that's the kind of saddle I started out with many years ago.
Old 10-15-19, 09:51 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by edscott.
Nah! I got a Brooks and it really is quite crappy. The metal base has absolutely no flexibility and it sends the impact from the road directly to your bones.
I'm curious. What model Brooks saddle was this?

my true favorite is the Selle Italia Turbo 1980, maybe because that's the kind of saddle I started out with many years ago.
The Sella Italia Turbo was my favorite for many years as well, but about 15 years ago my butt decided it liked Brooks Professionals and Idéale mod. 90 saddles better, so I've moved in that direction. I still have a Turbo or two in a box here; do you have a Brooks you'd like to trade?
Old 10-15-19, 10:13 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 917 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
It's listed: look close: it's the one that starts with 'Rivet'.
Whoops. I saw, but I did not observe.

I didn't know they were made in Taiwan.
Old 10-15-19, 10:48 AM
oldtrekguy

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400 2009 Kona Jake the Snake 1993 Bianchi Forza

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I bought a Brooks Cambium C13 from Chain Reaction on a whim.

It makes my butt hurt to even think about that saddle!

To its credit, it is a good-looking saddle and well-made.
Old 10-15-19, 11:29 AM
edscott.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I'm curious. What model Brooks saddle was this?

B-17 Special, the one with steel rails.

It looks nice and is quite comfortable for rides under 5 kilometers. But definitely not adequate for a road bike.

The Sella Italia Turbo was my favorite for many years as well, but about 15 years ago my butt decided it liked Brooks Professionals and Idéale mod. 90 saddles better, so I've moved in that direction. I still have a Turbo or two in a box here; do you have a Brooks you'd like to trade?
The saddle is quite aged by now, because I did try to use it for at least 2000 kilometers on a flat bar bike and several times under pouring rain. I have it hanging on the wall now.
Old 10-15-19, 06:59 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
I bought a Brooks Flyer Special when I got my Surly Disk Trucker. I thought the same as a few people on here - I just went for the Brooks off the bat. There are somewhere north of 3,000 miles on the bike now. I wanted the Flyer Special because it has springs. I figured it would ride better than a fixed saddle. I don't regret the purchase one bit.

I will second those that have said it takes a while to get it set right. I did a lot of adjusting of mine also. Beyond that, I started riding miles without padded bike shorts. So when I started riding miles that was a limitation. When I made the jump to padded bike shorts (and I didn't skimp there, either - Canari's are all I wear) the combination was really hard to beat.

I have fallen on the saddle quite hard before and have hit some unexpected potholes. The springs certainly help there. However, I have weighed between 140-150lbs for a few years so I am not very heavy and the springs, to me, are way too stiff. Unless I hit hard bumps I can't tell any absorption in bumps. Again, though, with the combination of the padded bike shorts and the saddle - it is a hard to beat set up. I would do the same set up today if I had to do it over again. If the saddle on my folder wasn't already comfy I'd put a Brooks on it also.

Last edited by KC8QVO; 10-15-19 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-15-19, 09:16 PM
JWay

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How does the Brooks Flyer Special do if they get wet consistently?
Old 10-16-19, 03:22 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,290 Times in 1,279 Posts
I have one B17 Champion and one Ideal 87. The rest of my leather saddles are all Brooks Professional. All my bikes are drop bar bikes with the exception of my one mountain bike, so the Professional seems most comfortable , especially on long rides. The older the saddle , the better it feels.
Old 10-16-19, 07:29 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by JWay
How does the Brooks Flyer Special do if they get wet consistently?
Brooks saddles do not like being drenched (does any saddle?) Proofide is a concession to this, as it's a conditioner with water repellent properties. I used the tiny blister pack of proofide that came with the saddle, and followed up with a few applications of Obenauf's leather preservative. Obenauf's has worked for three years on my daily boots as a water repellent. My guess is that the formulas are similar, and include a good deal of beeswax. Don't forget to coat the underside of the saddle Steel rails will rust, given time.

If you're riding in the rain, you are probably going to prevent a lot of water from actually reaching the saddle. If the saddle is soaked, dry without heat to avoid driving the conditioning oils out of the leather (you don't want a crunchy saddle).

If you show the saddle some care at the end of every cycling season, it can last longer than your bike (or you).
Old 10-16-19, 09:34 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Got my B17 Narrow Imperial in the mail yesterday - took it for a 19 mile loop this morning.

I really like the fact that the saddle is slippery. I have the nose about 3/4" high from level and perhaps the thing that is most different about a leather saddle from most synthetic saddles is that the rider can move very easily all over the seat to micro-adjust on the fly without really un-weighting from the seat - allows the rider to easily eliminate any 'hot spots' when they first become noticeable.

The leather is hard, but the narrow width fits me well and the cut out helps make this model of Brooks a bit more forgiving out of the box. I found it to be pretty comfy for the short ride that I took - and I didn't have to stand and re-adjust periodically like I normally do after about 15 miles. And during an extended ascent I didn't get the hot spot I normally do on my other seats when pushing hard for a period of time.

So far so good.

Old 10-16-19, 09:45 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
If you can easily squish your saddle’s padding all the way down with a finger, what good do you think it does with your full body weight on it?
He doesn't break his finger when he sits on it.
Old 10-16-19, 09:48 AM
golftdi

Bikes: Surly Midnight Special, Jamis Coda Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
I've been riding the same Brooks Flyer on 3 different bikes over the last dozen or so years. I also have a new Flyer on another bike.

Recently, I rode my wife's bike, on which she has a B67S. I'm now thinking of trying a Flyer S - I liked the shorter nose of the S saddle on my wife's bike.
Old 10-16-19, 04:09 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Where can i buy that saddle device to have saddle loops like the brooks has?
Old 10-16-19, 04:42 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
Where can i buy that saddle device to have saddle loops like the brooks has?
https://velo-orange.com/collections/...e-saddle-loops

Old 10-16-19, 11:05 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
Just look at some pictures of older used Brooks saddles. You can usually see the areas where the sit bones spend most of their time as a depression, without necessarily deforming the rest of the saddle. While the saddle is breaking in, the area supporting the rider changes to support more of the rider, until the fibrin network in the leather can balance the forces from the rider's butt without tearing or stretching anymore.

Modern saddles accomplish the same thing with a balanced approach to foam, enough support for pedaling, enough give for comfort to balance rider weight without overly compressing the tissue between the bone and the saddle.
Ah, thank you. Now it begins to make sense.

I still think it could do with suspension though, to reduce impacts against even the correct areas. Maybe assist with the leather breaking-in properly, too. But then, I sit quite upright.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.