Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Broken Spoke

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Broken Spoke

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-19, 08:09 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Broken Spoke

I bought a used Velocity A23 Pro wheelset a few years ago and have ridden them I would guess 5-6k miles. The front wheel is 20 spoke radial lace and one broke at the nipple this morning. Should I replace just that one spoke or get a new set of spokes and start over? Also, I noticed that Amain bought Dan's Comp. Wonder if that means the days of 60¢ double-butted spokes are coming to an end.
Old 10-19-19, 09:01 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Dan's comp still lists 14/15 gauge butted Sapim Stainless spokes for 60 cents (with nipple, apparently!).

First, I'd inspect the existing spokes to see if the nipple comes out of the rim in line with the main part of the spoke. That is, are the nipples canted, with the spoke bending a little? If so, I'd buy new spokes.

If not, I'd buy a few spokes and fix the one. May be an abberation or an off spoke. If you start popping more in 100km or so, replace all.
Old 10-19-19, 11:17 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 874 Posts
I'd buy 2-3. 1's a fluke.
If you use them all in relatively short order, wish you's bought 17 more.
Actually $12 for the whole wheels worth really might be worth the peace of mind.
Fix it once?
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 10-19-19, 02:29 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I bought a used Velocity A23 Pro wheelset a few years ago and have ridden them I would guess 5-6k miles. The front wheel is 20 spoke radial lace and one broke at the nipple this morning. Should I replace just that one spoke or get a new set of spokes and start over? Also, I noticed that Amain bought Dan's Comp. Wonder if that means the days of 60¢ double-butted spokes are coming to an end.
Did it break through the spoke threading? If the spokes aren't at least coming up to the screwdriver flats in the nipples, I might get the replacements a bit longer.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-19-19, 02:52 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
I'd buy 2-3. 1's a fluke.
If you use them all in relatively short order, wish you's bought 17 more.
Actually $12 for the whole wheels worth really might be worth the peace of mind.
Fix it once?
This seems like good advice to me. I always imagine that if and when thing go wrong, I'll be 30 miles from home and there are lightening flashes on the horizon.
Old 10-19-19, 03:37 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Did it break through the spoke threading? If the spokes aren't at least coming up to the screwdriver flats in the nipples, I might get the replacements a bit longer.
Good point!
You can examine the current spoke length in situ in relation to the bottom of the screwdriver slot.
Ideally, you want the spoke end flush. (With a double wall rim, I'll round up a bit more generously.)
You can "adjust" to the correct length if needed.

IF you respoke the whole wheel, buy a spare or 2 to keep the evil spirits away.
I dropped a wheel I'd built into an old fashioned sewer grate about 20 miles into it's life. about 3 years later I had the "button" pop off the J bend.
You could see a "flaw", but I don't know if it was a bad spoke or damage from the incident. LBS's here don't carry butted spokes......
Someday, when I buy spokes, I'll replace the straight gauge oddity that I had to use.
Old 10-19-19, 06:13 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
The spoke broke off a mm or so into the nipple so probably the last thread. The ends of the spokes are flush with the bottom of the slot, so I don't think I'll go longer, but I do agree with others that I might as well just rebuild the wheel with new spokes. It's not that expensive and winter is coming so I'll have the time. I used these wheels on several brevets this season, so I'm glad the spoke broke 15 miles from home. Could have been worse.
Old 10-19-19, 06:22 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
On the plus side, radial wheels are easy to build/rebuild, and you needn't take it completely apart. You can just replace one spoke at a time.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-19-19, 07:00 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Are you in a salt air/humid environment?
Maybe a victim-
SSINA: Stainless Steel: Corrosion
Old 10-19-19, 07:30 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Are you in a salt air/humid environment?
I'm in the suburbs of Chicago and bought the wheels from a guy in the city, so no salt air.
Old 10-20-19, 12:57 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Replace the broken one and order a couple of spares and tape one to a seat stay and carry a spoke wrench. If more spokes break then it is time to replace the rest.
I am not a fan of boutique wheels with low spoke count, but to each his own.
Old 10-20-19, 01:12 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I'm in the suburbs of Chicago and bought the wheels from a guy in the city, so no salt air.
Well, Chicago is on a major body of water and has cold winters during which the city undoubtedly uses salt to keep the roads clear. If those wheels were used in late fall, early winter, winter or early spring they were exposed to copious amounts of salt
Old 10-20-19, 03:03 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Well, Chicago is on a major body of water and has cold winters during which the city undoubtedly uses salt to keep the roads clear. If those wheels were used in late fall, early winter, winter or early spring they were exposed to copious amounts of salt
Good point. As long as I'm ordering spokes, maybe I'll just get them for both wheels.

Originally Posted by davidad
Replace the broken one and order a couple of spares and tape one to a seat stay and carry a spoke wrench. If more spokes break then it is time to replace the rest.
If the failure mode is the same, I would need to pull the rim strip to replace the nipple. Something I'd prefer not to have to do on the side of the road when I'm trying to get a ride in, so I've decided to replace all the spokes.

Originally Posted by davidad
I am not a fan of boutique wheels with low spoke count, but to each his own.
I agree. They seem to be more trouble than they're worth. I already have a lot of high spoke count wheels and thought I would take a chance on these. They were holding up pretty well for a while, then the NDS spokes on the rear started going loose, so I had to fix that, now the broken spoke on the front.
Old 10-20-19, 09:24 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
https://www.wheelfanatyk.com/blog/sp...-getting-real/ is a thoughtful article on spoke breakage.

I'm inclined to chalk a single spoke breakage as a fluke and do a quick spoke replacement. If more than 2 go then I'd replace the wheel, generally speaking. If rebuilding your wheels sounds like a pleasant way to spend part of a winter afternoon, more power to you.
Old 10-21-19, 07:54 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
If you're up to to spending the time, by all means rebuild the wheel. I would give a lot of thought to lacing with a 2-cross pattern, though.

If this were my wheel, however; I'd just replace the single spoke and let the future decide whether that was the right strategy. You can always rebuild later, right?
Old 11-02-19, 07:30 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

I finally got around to measuring my spokes today and see that Dan's Comp no longer sells spokes and has the same crappy website as Amain/Performance/Nashbar. Thanks Amain.
Old 11-02-19, 09:36 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,252 Times in 661 Posts
suburbs of Chicago and bought the wheels from a guy in the city, so no salt air.
they do salt the roads in Chicago and it takes some time to wash it down after the spring rains.

Suggest you go see Marcus at Yojimbo's Garage, he's a wheel and spoke guy, he'll sort you out. Take the wheel with you.

1310 N. Clyburn Ave, Chicago. https://www.yojimbosgarage.com/ Recommended !

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Old 11-02-19, 10:39 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Thanks for the suggestion. It's not that convientent for me to get to the near-north side, and I can get replacement spokes from rose for under twenty bucks so I'll probably just do that.