Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Swapping crank spindle on French bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-19, 10:19 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts

I have a mid 70's Gitane Gypsy Sport Mixte I am working on for the Bike Exchange. I have been lightening it up a bit with aluminum wheels, stem, and bars and I want to swap out the cottered cranks for a square taper. If I can find a square tapered spindle can I reuse the existing cups? otherwise I will put in a threadless cartridge spindle but I would rather not spend the money on a new one.

The bike is coming along nicely so far. the paint touched up great and the chrome fork tips were in like new condition. I replaced the center pull brakes with side pulls and put on some gum walll tires. I plan to use a single chainriing up front and replace the 5 speed freewheel with a suntour 7 speed that fits with out stretching the rear dropouts.

I am pretty sure the spindle swap should work but would like confirmation.

Pictures somewhere when it's done.
Old 10-19-19, 05:57 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
In general, yes, it can be done. It helps to have a variety of spindles to test fit and find the best one.
Old 10-19-19, 06:25 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I did this on my Peugeot UE 8. I would just use the cottered crank for a bike I was selling though.
Old 10-19-19, 06:42 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Originally Posted by capnjonny
I have a mid 70's Gitane Gypsy Sport Mixte I am working on for the Bike Exchange. I have been lightening it up a bit with aluminum wheels, stem, and bars and I want to swap out the cottered cranks for a square taper. If I can find a square tapered spindle can I reuse the existing cups? otherwise I will put in a threadless cartridge spindle but I would rather not spend the money on a new one.

The bike is coming along nicely so far. the paint touched up great and the chrome fork tips were in like new condition. I replaced the center pull brakes with side pulls and put on some gum walll tires. I plan to use a single chainriing up front and replace the 5 speed freewheel with a suntour 7 speed that fits with out stretching the rear dropouts.

I am pretty sure the spindle swap should work but would like confirmation.

Pictures somewhere when it's done.
I'd suggest reviewing the spindle/cup swapping discussion in Sutherland's Handbook. You'll find a wealth of info that will likely save you much time.
Old 10-19-19, 08:15 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I did a similar swap on a friends early '70's Raleigh that came with a Stronglight cottered crank and Raleigh's proprietary threading. We reused the OEM cups and replaced the spindle with a Suguino square taper spindle and loose 1/4" bearing balls. It worked fine and was ridden for many years after that.
Old 10-19-19, 09:10 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
Thanks for the info and advice all.

I know it is not a high end bike and and we are selling it. I can't help messinig with these mixte's a little though. We have a warehouse of used parts and many boxes of square tapered cranks and a drawer full of spindles so I can get creative. This bike will probably be used for casual riding or commuting so better tires, wheels, and brakes with more stopping power will be appreciated . Changing the gearing to 1x7 will make shifting for a novice a breeze . My guess is that when all done we will sell the bike for about $200. which will be a steal for some lucky customer.
Old 10-19-19, 01:45 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I swapped the original cottered crank with a Sugino square taper with a standard 68mm spindle on my '70 Peugeot mixte. I used the original cups and the original loose balls and it's been working well so far. I did have to re-do it once, to really tighten the drive side cup, but I've never had any issues with the spindle swap itself. The 68mm spindle is long enough (in terms of the bearing races on the spindle) to space the non-drive side cup appropriately (to be able to use the lock ring).

There are reports that some 68mm spindles may not have the races spaced quite far enough apart, so the non-drive side cup threads in too far to use the lock ring. I did not find that in my case.