Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Show your Trek Multitrack!

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Show your Trek Multitrack!

Old 10-12-19, 12:48 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton
@Cutsit, I believe your bike is subject to a Trek recall involving the crankset, as was mine. Last fall my LBS replaced crankset, bottom bracket, front derailer, and chain, I had to cover labor cost, was like $30. I guess the original cranks had issues with crank arms breaking. You may want to look into it. A fellow BF member advised me of the recall.
If anybody knows about this or what year it applied to, I'd like to know more. I'm also searching BF now.

Mine are Alivio cranks on a '94 730.

ETA: This thread I guess: https://www.bikeforums.net/recall-an...nk-recall.html

Mine are Shimano FC-MC10 170mm . The thread above says FC-MC12 and others are included, but that's not what I have.

Last edited by rseeker; 10-12-19 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-12-19, 07:00 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Some additional info on that Shimano crankset recall: rideyourbike.com.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 10-13-19, 08:07 AM
Cutsit

Bikes: Trek 700, Giant Escape 3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Phamilton
@Cutsit, I believe your bike is subject to a Trek recall involving the crankset, as was mine. Last fall my LBS replaced crankset, bottom bracket, front derailer, and chain, I had to cover labor cost, was like $30. I guess the original cranks had issues with crank arms breaking. You may want to look into it. A fellow BF member advised me of the recall.
Looks like my crank may be one of the recalls.
Old 10-13-19, 10:10 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Cutsit

Looks like my crank may be one of the recalls.
My original cranks were the CT90 as well.

Here’s what they replaced it with:

Nothing fancy. I think the new crank is 24/34/44 vs the old 24/32/38 (don’t hold me to those numbers). I did get a lot more top end for sure.
Old 10-13-19, 10:14 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Also possibly worth note is the new cranks are wider than the originals as well, I want to say an additional 15mm, enough to be perceivable and maybe require a slight saddle adjustment
Old 10-13-19, 11:29 AM
hokiefyd 

@Phamilton, is that a rear reflector bracket just above your front derailleur? Do you have it there to keep at least some mud/rocks/sticks from fouling up that derailleur and/or cable? If so, neat idea.
Old 10-13-19, 05:18 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
@Phamilton, is that a rear reflector bracket just above your front derailleur? Do you have it there to keep at least some mud/rocks/sticks from fouling up that derailleur and/or cable? If so, neat idea.
It IS a reflector bracket, but it’s used to mount the rear fender. I can fit a 38mm tire under fenders if I hold the rear mounting point up. Otherwise it’ll only clear a 35. I have the fenders on my other bike at the moment.
Old 10-16-19, 08:03 AM
Tuberoast

Bikes: 1998 Basso Gap , 1991 Trek 750, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2017 Trek Madone 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
My 91 750, this photo from 2015. A wonderful bike, bulletproof and rides great. I have 32s on it.

Last edited by Tuberoast; 10-16-19 at 08:18 AM.
Likes For Tuberoast:
Old 10-16-19, 09:14 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuberoast
My 91 750, this photo from 2015. A wonderful bike, bulletproof and rides great. I have 32s on it.
That's a nice setup. Do you have the XPress shifters?
Old 10-18-19, 05:25 PM
Cutsit

Bikes: Trek 700, Giant Escape 3

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

I promised photos with the new tires and old man seat. I like the seat and the Kendas work well.

I called the local Trek shop to see about the recall on the crank. They were noncommittal on doing the replacement. Asked if I bought it used and commented that it was pretty old. The person I talked to asked that I send photos of tbt bike, crank, and serial number. The top photo was my attempt at the serial number. It wasn’t struck very well and is hard to read. I told them my guess.

We shall see if they cover it and at what cost.

Last edited by Cutsit; 10-18-19 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Add text
Old 10-18-19, 06:38 PM
hokiefyd 

If you call Shimano customer service with the model of the crank (it'll be on the back of the crank arm, like "FC-MC12" or similar), they should be able to direct you further. This is the information, directly from Shimano (link). There generally isn't an expiration date on safety recalls like these.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 10-18-19, 07:41 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

If you call Shimano customer service with the model of the crank (it'll be on the back of the crank arm, like "FC-MC12" or similar), they should be able to direct you further. This is the information, directly from Shimano (link). There generally isn't an expiration date on safety recalls like these.
Yup - I failed to mention earlier that I called Shimano first. They suggested a shop that was something like a 2 hour drive and we didn’t have a car at the time. I asked them about the local Trek dealer in town and they reached out to them and had them contact me to arrange for the work to be done, but the shop didn’t seem too thrilled to be doing the work. I was charged half the labor, came out to $33 or something and I just wasn’t going to complain about it because it’d have been probably $100 to buy all the parts and do it myself, excluding the bottom bracket because the one that was on the bike was still working fine and I most likely wouldn’t have replaced it, and I didn’t even have all the tools. They originally quoted and I’d already even agreed to the full $66 or whatever, so the $33 was a pleasant surprise. I had already wanted to replace the crank anyway as I really didn’t like the 38t big ring or the steps in between. I had already decided I wanted that exact configuration (I’m pretty sure 44/34/24) when I was told about the recall. The front derailer isn’t something to write home about but it works fine. All of it was good enough to survive 1200 miles of northern Indiana winter commuting including lots of slush and salt, although should be noted that I used full fenders with mud flaps front and rear which actually does make a huge difference but I now digress - suffice to say for the typical Multitrack user the recall is a good idea even if you have to pay a little. The benefits increase with increased use of the bike. I purchased my Multitrack specifically for use as a winter commuter, for which it really does a great job, and then appreciated it even more after the crank replacement because it gave my bike the longer legged gearing that made it ideal for my long 12 mile mostly rural commute.
I didn’t really intend to write a full review here of the recall process or the Multitrack and I seem to be getting into that territory. I waited for a Multitrack for something like 3 or 5 years in my size to come up for sale locally. I had quit looking when I saw this one pop up on Facebook marketplace for $25 and couldn’t deny myself. Even the “lowly” 700 is such a great, solid bike. It’s a little better even than I expected it to be, and I have had literally zero problems with it yet, and mine has withstood quite a bit of abuse and neglect that with occasional cleaning and “acceptable” maintenance looks and rides like a new bike. When I bought my touring bike and decided I was no longer going to be long distance winter commuting I was unsure what I was going to do with the 700, and at one point was even trying to give it to my brother. Ultimately he didn’t take it and because I currently have the storage space I have held onto it despite trying to be a “one bike” type of person. What a silly type of person anyway. I appreciated it as a long distance, skinny tire commuter with drop bars and also appreciate it equally now as an in-town rugged utility bike with wide armored tires, upright flat bars (factory configuration) and lots of gears. If a person wants to try one with drop bars, it’ll do it well but I recommend trying to locate/purchase a frame one size smaller than what you’d generally use. Please excuse the rambling but that’s the point of the thread anyway, yes? I don’t really even think about my MT at all. It’s the first bike I ever owned that I really didn’t have to think about. Everything just works well all the time and it’s always comfortable and endlessly useful. I haven’t found anything I’ve wanted to do on a bike that it hasn’t done well. If I ever lose mine for some reason, I’ll most likely want to replace it with another, even if I can’t find another $25 steal like this one.
Thus endeth my lengthy tribute to the Multitrack.
Likes For Phamilton:
Old 10-19-19, 08:24 AM
Lu..

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roll Sport

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
My old MultiTrack, just gave it to my cousin as he’s getting into cycling

Likes For Lu..:
Old 10-20-19, 11:56 AM
matt_oo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice
Old 10-20-19, 11:12 PM
Tuberoast

Bikes: 1998 Basso Gap , 1991 Trek 750, 1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2017 Trek Madone 9

Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
yes
Old 10-21-19, 10:03 PM
mtmann
Go, CroMo, go!

Bikes: Custom Bantam AdventureBike,93 Bontrager Race mtb, 07 Lemond Poprad disc cyclocross, Black Mountain Cycle Road, 86 Bridgestone Mile 112, 89 Bridgestone MB-2, 93 Trek 750, 90 Trek 750, 90 Trek 930, 90 Diamondback Ascent.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts
I added another...

I just picked up my third lugged Trek 750. This one is a 19" 1990 in the black/bright green color. I already have a 17" in the intense blue/white and that's my daughter's bike. I posted earlier about my 1993 21" in the black/blue fade.

I had been looking at this new one on CL in Bend, OR for over a month. Looked in good condition, asking price was $70, and it just wasn't selling. I was heading over to the east side from Portland for the weekend and contacted the seller to see if it was available and whether he's accept $50. He said sure since it was missing the grips and needed a tune-up.

Pretty much stock. A couple scratches and a very small dimple in top tube but mostly great and no rust. Rear wheel seriously out of true and someone replaced the stock 13-13 Accushift freewheel with a small-block Maillard 7-speed. I didn't really try it but I imagine it doesn't shift well. also the rear black diacompe canti brakes have been replaced with silver shimano cantis. I've had a couple bikes with the 3x7 Accushift pods and I hate 'em. Ugly, and take a proprietary cable, so this bike will definitely get new shifters. I may keep the Suntour XCM derailleurs and go friction mode. Not sure.
Pictures:

Likes For mtmann:
Old 10-22-19, 05:22 AM
hokiefyd 

Great deal for 50 bucks!
Old 10-25-19, 11:13 AM
Mogens

Bikes: 2019 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sports, 1984 Calvino Palomar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 34 Posts
So far I've outfitted my family with two 730s and a 720, but somehow lugged 750s never seem to pop up. I check craigslist almost daily. Love the Multitracks though, they are great bikes for tooling around.
Old 10-27-19, 11:14 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Sadly, my blue/purple 700 that I have posted here was stolen from work a few days ago. I had gotten lazy about locking it. I’m glad I keep a few bikes and that the one stolen wasn’t the best one. I dunno what I’m gonna do yet as my studded tires are 700c and my other commuter has 27” wheels and I’m not planning to convert it to 700c at this point in time, as it would probably involve an entire drivetrain replacement. Great bike, the 700, sad that it’s gone. :-(
Old 10-28-19, 08:33 PM
casanewt

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 78 Posts
Kind of rare to see the euro version in the states... https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9277510520757/
Old 10-29-19, 05:15 AM
hokiefyd 

Originally Posted by casanewt
Kind of rare to see the euro version in the states... https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9277510520757/
That's the "Trekking" version of the MultiTrack, sold in various years through the mid-90s, and equipped with fenders and lights from the factory. The chain stays were also slightly longer on the "Trekking" versions, and the complete bike weighed about two pounds more than the standard variant.

It's neat to see one that looks mostly original. At $100, depending on the condition of the frame, it's probably a pretty good value.
Old 10-29-19, 09:16 AM
casanewt

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 78 Posts
That's the "Trekking" version of the MultiTrack, sold in various years through the mid-90s, and equipped with fenders and lights from the factory. The chain stays were also slightly longer on the "Trekking" versions, and the complete bike weighed about two pounds more than the standard variant.

It's neat to see one that looks mostly original. At $100, depending on the condition of the frame, it's probably a pretty good value.
Did we ever get this version in the US? The only other one I've seen for sale recently was a newer aluminum framed one that had stickers from a European bike shop.
Old 10-29-19, 11:10 AM
hokiefyd 

Did we ever get this version in the US? The only other one I've seen for sale recently was a newer aluminum framed one that had stickers from a European bike shop.
I think so, yes (though they are rare, as you note). They appear in the North American Trek catalogs (look at pg 61 of the 1995 catalog, for instance).

Trek, Fisher, Klein, Lemond bike catalogs, bicycle brochures

That 1995 catalog shows a 750 "Trekking" like the 730 you found on Facebook, but it doesn't show a 730 "Trekking" version. 1994 would be the right year for that Forest Green color on the 730, but it doesn't show a "Trekking" version of the 730 either. They're not shown at all in 1996 and 1997, and the frame graphics changed in 1998.

Maybe that green 730 "Trekking" was a bike built when they were transitioning model years or something.
Old 10-29-19, 11:14 AM
hokiefyd 

That 730 on Facebook is also lacking the generator system featured in the 1995 brochure, at least on the 750 "Trekking" model. It very well could be that this particular bike was a Canadian or export model.
Old 10-29-19, 08:26 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Did you buy it yet?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.